PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Can a creature literally rip another creature apart?

Falontani
2018-07-27, 06:52 PM
(Complete Warrior, p. 97)

[General]

You can shatter barriers and objects when enraged.

Prerequisite
Rage or frenzy ability,

Benefit
While you are in a rage or frenzy, you gain a +8 bonus on any Strength checks you make to break down doors or break inanimate, immobile objects.
Emphasis mine.

(Tome of Magic, p. 140)
New Condition: Immobilized
Several mysteries impose a condition not described in the Player's Handbook or the Dungeon Master's Guide: immobilized. An immobilized creature can attack and cast spells normally, but it cannot move from the square or squares that it is in. This condition does not prevent a creature from defending itself, nor does it cause a creature to lose its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class. Flying creatures that become immobilized in mid-flight can control their descent so that they do not take falling damage, but they are incapable of moving from their current square as long as the effect ends and automatically descend at a rate of 20 feet per round. Flying creatures with the ability to hover can maintain their initial altitude if they choose.

If not when the creature is immobilized how about helpless creatures?

Finally if you can literally rip another creature apart I would assume it would be a strength check, what is the DC?

Kayblis
2018-07-27, 07:09 PM
Creatures are not treated as objects.

The special case is when you just killed someone, it's technically dead and an object, so you can rip someone apart right after you dealt the killing blow but they haven't fallen to the ground yet. Would be a great intimidating tactic.

Falontani
2018-07-27, 07:53 PM
Creatures are not treated as objects.

The special case is when you just killed someone, it's technically dead and an object, so you can rip someone apart right after you dealt the killing blow but they haven't fallen to the ground yet. Would be a great intimidating tactic.

an Immobilized animated object is an Immobile Object. (I am not saying anything against your logic here, but just a possible contention)

Zaq
2018-07-27, 07:58 PM
an Immobilized animated object is an Immobile Object. (I am not saying anything against your logic here, but just a possible contention)

I'm not sure I buy the contention. An immobilized animated object is still a construct. It just happens to have "object" in the name as an artifact of its origin.

Also, even showing that an animated object can be considered an object (which is highly debatable and honestly open to potential problems no matter which stance you take; my stance is that it is no longer an object until it loses its WIS/CHA scores, either from being destroyed or from the animating effect stopping) does not in any way imply that an immobilized human (or troll or dragon or elemental or baatezu or . . .) is an object. Creatures in general still aren't objects. At most, you can argue for a specific exception for an animated object because of its name and its origin, but that in no way implies that the general case is false. D&D's "specific beats general" design means that finding a counterexample doesn't actually disprove a rule. It just proves that there are exceptions.

daremetoidareyo
2018-07-27, 09:27 PM
If you get inside the creature, righteous might, the 5th level cleric spell, Can allow you to burst the creature.

Goaty14
2018-07-27, 09:34 PM
If you get inside the creature, righteous might, the 5th level cleric spell, Can allow you to burst the creature.

So can any other size-changing spell, such as Animal Growth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animalGrowth.htm).

Deophaun
2018-07-27, 09:35 PM
If you deal enough damage during a grapple to bring the creature to below -10, sure. Why not? Take Snatch Trophy if you want and say your trophy is the everything above the belly. Throw in Bloodsoaked Intimidate while you're at it. Have fun.