PDA

View Full Version : New D&D 5E feat: Minor Talent. (PEACH)

ReaderAt2046
2018-07-27, 09:10 PM
Minor Talent

Prerequisites: Cannot have levels in a class that grants spellcasting. Must not belong to a race that already grants natural magic.

Perhaps you were born with a mere trace of magical talent, not enough to make you a full sorceror. Perhaps you were born with sorcerous talent, but simply never chose to cultivate it. Regardless, you have just enough magical talent for a few basic tricks. Choose any cantrip from the sorceror/wizard spell list. You know and can cast this cantrip. At third level, choose one first-level spell from the sorceror/wizard spell list. You may cast that spell using this feat. Once you do, you may not do so again until after a long rest. At fifth level, choose one second-level spell from the sorceror/wizard spell list. You may cast that spell using this feat. Once you do, you may not do so again until after a long rest.

ad_hoc
2018-07-27, 09:18 PM
Magic Initiate's power level is just right. No need to change it.

Eriol
2018-07-27, 09:42 PM
It's a bit interesting in that I don't think any current feats are forbidden if you have something, and only a few are race-restricted, or have prerequisites. That makes the power level of this one different than many others, in that if you're too powerful in another way, you can't get this "powerful" one.

I don't know if it's balanced, but it's interesting.

JNAProductions
2018-07-27, 09:57 PM
Just letting you know, we have a Homebrew Subforum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design), which is where this stuff is supposed to go.

ReaderAt2046
2018-07-29, 08:58 AM
It's a bit interesting in that I don't think any current feats are forbidden if you have something, and only a few are race-restricted, or have prerequisites. That makes the power level of this one different than many others, in that if you're too powerful in another way, you can't get this "powerful" one.

I don't know if it's balanced, but it's interesting.

Yeah, in retrospect I think that might be an unnecessary restriction.

Just letting you know, we have a Homebrew Subforum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design), which is where this stuff is supposed to go.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Vogie
2018-07-31, 03:08 PM
I could see if you wanted to use this to open up the Talents from the Mystic spell list, or be a new version of Magic initiate that isn't covered (like getting ranger/Paladin spells!)

But as it is, it's just a "magic initiate, but different".

I like the idea, though. Since most people pick up feats via ASI (other than variant humans), which start as early as level 4, it'd make more sense that it would grow over time, but based on how long you have the feat, rather than PC level. Otherwise, someone would just get the feat at 4, and get a 2nd level spell the next level.

If you wanted to have a "magical knack" or a "practical Magic" type of feat, I could see a feat that gives a predefined specific set of skills, like choosing either Prestidigitation or Mending, then access to say, Tenser's floating Disk and Find Steed.

Similarly, if you wanted a feat that specialized in only, say tripping a target - you could create a homebrew feat ("knockdown adept") that is effectively Martial Adept that gives 2 superiority die... but only allowed the PC to learn the trip attack maneuver.