PDA

View Full Version : Bard Race Choices

Pjohnnyko
2018-07-27, 11:49 PM
I am starting a new campaign next week! I am playing a Bard with two other party members: a half elf rogue and fighter of race tbd still. We rolled some stats today and I got,
16, 15, 15, 13, 12, 6.

What race would you play with those stats? Most optimized race? Best race for whatever reason for a bard that you can think of and why? Also, suggested feats and ASI through the levels with those stats? What do you all think?? =)

Rerem115
2018-07-28, 12:08 AM
Well, those are, uh, some interesting stats. You could always go with the classic Half-Elf; have an 18 and two 16s and ALL THE SKILLS. It's the stereotypical bard race for a reason.

*EDIT* With a INT score like that, you can basically just be Elan :smalltongue:

chando
2018-07-28, 01:01 AM
I am starting a new campaign next week! I am playing a Bard with two other party members: a half elf rogue and fighter of race tbd still. We rolled some stats today and I got,
16, 15, 15, 13, 12, 6.

What race would you play with those stats? Most optimized race? Best race for whatever reason for a bard that you can think of and why? Also, suggested feats and ASI through the levels with those stats? What do you all think?? =)

I would make a Half-Orc Valor Bard witha greataxe, orcish fury feat to pair with melees, give out combat inspiration for +Dice to AC Cha/Shortrest, basically a better shield spell for your allies, choose not to die so you can heal yourself and others as a half-orc. Crit like the best of them. If game reachs 8th I can go whatever direction I feel like it. Maybe taver brawler to become a wrestler

Str 15+2
Dex13
Con15+1
Int 6
Wis 12
Cha 16

Feats:Orcish Fury(Str)
I would had a blast, with that party as a half oc i would make sure the healer would not go down on the figther, is capable of handling himself with a greataxe, focus on buff de-buff spells, hadle combat inspiration for basically.

But you... you should pick whatever you think it would be most fun to play, you've got great stats to be capable no matter what your concept its so go for it.

Spore
2018-07-28, 01:04 AM

Human bards because of all the "half-breeds are just bards flirting with other races" jokes. For stats, probably Aasimar, Tiefling or Half-Elf. I like Eladrin for flavor, or halflings. Everyone loves halflings.

Jakinbandw
2018-07-28, 01:15 AM
Half-Elf gives you an 18 in Charisma and 2 16's wherever you choose. I think it's pretty hard to beat that.

Mongrel
2018-07-28, 02:33 AM
Go Dragonborn! Impress with your fire-eater act! =D

Half-elf is probably the most optimal, as others have said, but where's the fun in that? =P

Copper_Dragon
2018-07-28, 02:56 AM
I'll second the half-elf suggestions. You'll hit Cha 20 really early with that spread of ability scores, so the two level warlock dip for eldritch blast shenanigans would be really tempting thereafter. Hitting 5th level in bard first is good for 3rd level spells, though.

16->Cha (first ASI should go here)
15->Dex (ASIs go here after Cha hits 20)
15->Con (leftover ASIs go here, assuming you don't take feats instead)

But personally, I'd throw that 6 into intelligence and play a dwarf of the gully variety, despite there being no official 5e gully dwarf stats (to my knowledge, at least). I'd pick one of the other dwarf subraces and just call myself a gully dwarf anyway. The idea of a gully dwarf bard makes me giggle. I'd have so much fun singing songs that don't rhyme and counting all the way to two...

bc56
2018-07-28, 08:20 AM
Go Dragonborn! Impress with your fire-eater act! =D

Half-elf is probably the most optimal, as others have said, but where's the fun in that? =P

I second Dragonborn, just because it would be fun to see. It's a race with a charisma boost, but it doesn't get much love from the Cha casters except sorcerer.
You could be one of the bard subclasses which gets martial weapons and then have 18 Str 16 Cha at 1st level, and use your first ASI to bump to 18 Cha.

Ventruenox
2018-07-28, 09:34 AM
Character Concept > Optimization. Build something fun and memorable, then squeeze out the mechanics. You got the rolls to be functional, so go wild.

A few ideas off the top of my head:

A Shadar-Kai moody emo Lore Bard could give great opportunity to role play Vicious Mockery and Cutting Words with depressing nihilism.

A Tabaxi Glamour Bard with a personality modelled after the 1960s Batman's Catwoman. A travelling thief who uses her fame as a celebrity as a cover for clandestine burglaries.

A Warforged Swords Bard, with integrated cooking tools. You were designed to be the ultimate Hibachi cook, literally the Iron Chef. (I might want to make this one now.)

The Minotaur. Any college, just gotta have more cow bell.

CTurbo
2018-07-28, 10:18 AM
16, 15, 15, 13, 12, 6.

Sassy teenage Half-Elf Princess Lore Bard 6 Str, 16 Dex, 16 Con, 12 Int, 13 Wis, 18 Cha
Take +2 Cha, Mobile, Alert, Lucky, Magic Initiate(Sorcerer or Warlock) or +2 Dex

or

Tabaxi Swords Bard 6 Str, 18 Dex, 15 Con, 12 Int, 13 Wis, 16 Cha
Take +2 Cha, +2 Dex, Dual Wielder, Defensive Duelist, and Mobile or +2 Cha again

MilkmanDanimal
2018-07-28, 11:27 AM
I'd go Half-Elf, and put the 6 in Wisdom, plus also not take Performance proficiency. It allows you to be convinced you are the best Bard who has ever lived, and be clueless enough to not notice exactly how utterly wrong that is.

iTreeby
2018-07-28, 12:23 PM
With those stats you could go gnome. Now hold on, I'm serious. Advantage on mental saves and all around good stats means that you (the only caster) don't get taken out of the fight so you can keep you buddies in the fight.

Sariel Vailo
2018-07-29, 09:07 AM
So half elf good choice
If your planning a martial bard v human take the magic initaite than grab a scag melee cantrip and inflict wounds.
But my favorite would be the handsomest half orc glamour bard named magic mike.

Laserlight
2018-07-29, 08:42 PM
Bard race....I'm going to go for Three Legged Race where, in addition to running, you have to play the bagpipes and your partner has to play the violin.

For extra difficulty, you and all the other bards racing have to play a symphony, while racing. Just avoid being the guy with the grand piano.

Tetrasodium
2018-07-29, 09:40 PM
16, 15, 15, 13, 12, 6.

changeling (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/723UA_EberronRaces7232018.pdf) would give you +2 charisma +1 dex and some useful abilities. A warforged envoy would give you +1 con & two other +1's of your choice plus great ac & some nifty stuff.

do you have any thoughts on what kind of bard you are looking at?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-07-29, 10:05 PM
What sounds the most fun? The 6 is going to be your neatest, most memorable stat. Are you kinda weak? Are you kinda slow? Are you book smart but no Wisdom?

Who cars about stat optimization! I mean pick good spells but whats a 5% better chance to save?

Tetrasodium
2018-07-29, 10:21 PM
What sounds the most fun? The 6 is going to be your neatest, most memorable stat. Are you kinda weak? Are you kinda slow? Are you book smart but no Wisdom?

Who cars about stat optimization! I mean pick good spells but whats a 5% better chance to save?

some of those "optimized" choices like changeling, warforged, etc give interesting abilities on top of having some optimization. depending on the type of bard he has in mind, the dragonmark race options in wgte could offer very interesting options

MagneticKitty
2018-07-30, 04:08 PM
Well other than what's been said, kenku would allow you to use your voice as an instrument? But you'd lose the ability to talk and be the face.

Maybe aasimar and sing in Sylvain (choir)
Or teifling and sing in infernal (heavy metal)
Warforged and use a metal drum that's integrated into your body
Or maybe air genasi and play a wind instrument

JellyPooga
2018-07-30, 04:43 PM
Water Genasi

Sure, the stat boosts don't exemplify core Bard abilities, but you've got a natural 16 to shove into Charisma and who doesn't like boosts to two of the "big three save" stats? Play a nymph-like water creature; shy and flighty, but inspiring for her inner strength and possesing an almost mythical magic born of song, beauty and mystery.

JeffreyGator
2018-07-30, 05:27 PM
Winged Variant Tiefling - you claim/think you are a incubus/succubus

Probably take mask of many faces from two levels of warlock

Str 6

Dex 16

con 13

int 15

wis 12

Cha 18

Feats CH 20, Infernal Constitution