PDA

View Full Version : Making the most out of the new double scimitar weapon.

Spacehamster
2018-07-28, 05:15 AM
So the premise is very simple
Wood elf to be able to take the revenant blade feat to give it finesse.
Fighter probably battle master up to 12 to get great weapon fighting style(meshes very well with maximizing d4´s giving you 50% chance of rolling better on a 2 and 75% on a 1).
Gloom stalker 3-5 levels for WIS to initiative, defense fighting style, extra attack on 1st round + extra damage if that attack hits, better dark vision and some limited spellcasting + the +10 stealth spell if going for 5.
Assassin 3-5 levels for expertize, sneak attack die, advantage if going before your target on the first round, possible assassinates and uncanny dodge if going for 5.

Starting stats: 10/16/14/10/16/8

Order of levels: 1-6 fighter(champion or battle master) 7-9 Assassin 10-14 (Gloom stalker) then take levels as you please getting what you find most important.
Feats/ASI´s in order: Revenant blade, Elven accuracy, Alert, +2 DEX, mobile and if you go for a 12/4/4 spread for 6 ASI´s you can put the last one in what you find best, perhaps lucky or tough.

This build would net you 4 attacks on round 1 when you have all the parts, advantage on round 1 almost always due to Alert, high DEX and WIS to initiative, good stealth, pretty good AC, high damage output,
good mobility, always on uses for bonus action be it attack or level 2 rogue feature. All in all it seems like a fun character to play.

Any other build that would squeeze more out of the double scimitar?

Spacehamster
2018-07-29, 04:33 AM
Another good build for it:
Wood elf: 15/14/14/8/14/10
Zealot barb 5, Scout rogue 10, gloom stalker 4, Fighter 1.
Defense style, great weapon style(amazing for d4’s)
ASI/feats: revenant blade with + STR, max STR, +2 CON and tough or mobile as last one.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-07-29, 12:21 PM
Good grab for a Bladelock, it existing makes it available to any race of pact of blade warlock.

GWF would be pretty good too, so fighter levels might be useful.

i'd probably do Fighter 1-4/Hexblade X and call it a day.

Maybe with a Tiefling (Zariel or Feral or Levistus) or an Aasimar. OH OH or a Tabaxi....

Spacehamster
2018-07-29, 03:53 PM
Good grab for a Bladelock, it existing makes it available to any race of pact of blade warlock.

GWF would be pretty good too, so fighter levels might be useful.

i'd probably do Fighter 1-4/Hexblade X and call it a day.

Maybe with a Tiefling (Zariel or Feral or Levistus) or an Aasimar. OH OH or a Tabaxi....

Need to be an elf to use it as a DEX weapon with the feat tho. :)

xanderh
2018-07-30, 02:55 AM

Hex blade means using charisma

Spacehamster
2018-07-30, 06:32 AM
Hex blade means using charisma

True but then you miss out on 1AC, 1d4 extra damage on the bonus attack plus if your dm feels like it you could get hunted down for being a non elf using the weapon. ^^

Mortis_Elrod
2018-07-30, 07:44 AM
True but then you miss out on 1AC, 1d4 extra damage on the bonus attack plus if your dm feels like it you could get hunted down for being a non elf using the weapon. ^^

That just means it gives you free xp.

Even so, you could always be an elf warlock if you really wanted that feat.

Spacehamster
2018-07-30, 08:34 AM
That just means it gives you free xp.

Even so, you could always be an elf warlock if you really wanted that feat.

True it makes non hexblade single class bladelocks decently viable tbh, start with DEX 17 CON 14 and CHA 15, ASI’s in order revenant blade and plus 1 DEX, elven accuracy +1 DEX, +1 DEX/CHA and remaining to max CHA for late game. Guess as drow you could start with 16 CHA.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-07-30, 08:59 AM
True it makes non hexblade single class bladelocks decently viable tbh, start with DEX 17 CON 14 and CHA 15, ASI’s in order revenant blade and plus 1 DEX, elven accuracy +1 DEX, +1 DEX/CHA and remaining to max CHA for late game. Guess as drow you could start with 16 CHA.

or Eladrin.

Tetrasodium
2018-07-30, 11:37 AM

You just need justification & a gm who agrees. Since certain people in the other thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?564921-Double-bladed-scimitar) are upset about how it's "better for dex than strength builds" when it's honestly just "dex is a stat with quite a bit more value than strength on an objective level" I'm going to operate under that and use some of the other variant rules in wgte even though some of them are "sub optimal"

Saved Ancestors was sold by a Cyran noble to a clan of Valenar elves during The Last War after rescuing the clan's mounts (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20051114a) by braving a siege staff maintained field of cloudkill in order to gather grass & other plantlife during a siege on their "ancestral" land. After the siege, he was absorbed into the clan & eventually earned the Prestiege of a full member. With the state of warforged souls being unknown, Saved Horses & some of his adopted clan believe that he might be reliving the deeds of a long clanmember "HasAName" from the original Xen'driik uprising who worked with the Tairnadal druids to save as many elves as they could before the giant's retaliated. After nearly 20 years, he's been chosen by a fine daughter of his sister's bloodline.

In case it's not obvious... warforged for race obviously

Optional rule: WGtE pg40 swapping racial languages
Optional rule: WGtE pg40 Common Languages
Warforged Juggernauht: +1 con +2 str, the usual warforged perks, powerful build, an iron fists d4 punch he'll probably never use, Common
Fighter: GWF & the like, full armor/weapon proficiencies
Optional rule: WGtE 172/174 swap a martial weapon prof for prof in dbs doesn't really matter which.
For skills... I considered animal handling,and, history so he can know about the elven history he's been absorbed into.
Basckground Noble knight: History so he knows about his anscestors & his people. Persuasion because why not. Swap the gaming set for herbalism tools as an extension of the crude groundskeeper ones he used to gather feed years ago.
Language: Elven (Turned out that I didn't need to swap a racial language)
equipment: Fine clothes (a Glamerweave bloodrider's headscarf (https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/71/21/59712174237e23fb885589017168636a--elves-fantasy-art.jpg)), signet ring & scroll of pedigree?.... bleep that... he has that stuff engraved directly on his body for all to see the pride of his ancestor HasAName while Saved Ancestors rides into battle atop his own bloodline. The feature of noble knight supplies the Valenar riding horse & a young elf retainer.
Take fighter to 6 for extra attack, nifty features, mounted combatant, and... I'm not sure if feat or asi & which (Both Mobile & aberrant mark have promise but sentinel might too). Caviler was considered, but not too sure which.
Level 7+ Barbarian Yes indeed (http://keith-baker.com/wgte-faq/) Heavy plating while raging should be terrifying on the battlefield
There are a lot of good choices for barbarian; but for Saves Mounts, Ancestral guardian is both most fitting & bleeping awesome since it allows both protecting his bloodline as well as consulting with his ancestors among other things.
averaging 6-8+str+rage +6-8+rage will be brutal, add in the second attack for an extra 6-8+str+rage along with being hard to hit & kill in ways that none of his flesh & blood meat based clanmembers could ever hope to match makes any who question his lineage sure to regret their mistake. Being mounted for advantage against so much stuff with mounted combatant just makes him all that much more scary.

Saves mounts

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-07-30, 12:19 PM
You just need justification & a gm who agrees. Since certain people in the other thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?564921-Double-bladed-scimitar) are upset about how it's "better for dex than strength builds" when it's honestly just "dex is a stat with quite a bit more value than strength on an objective level" I'm going to operate under that and use some of the other variant rules in wgte even though some of them are "sub optimal"

Point of order: you don't get to swap a weapon proficiency for the DBS unless you're an elf. Using variant elf weapon proficiencies on another race is like playing a high elf that gives up their +2 Dex +1 Int for the two floating +1s, bonus skill proficiency and bonus feat from variant human, and justifying it by saying "well, it's a variant rule". It's not. It's a variant racial feature. It is linked specifically to the race for which it was written.

This is a particularly strange thing to bring up since the DBS is just a martial weapon. Fighters, barbarians et al are all proficient with it, nothing special required.

Tetrasodium
2018-07-30, 12:50 PM
Point of order: you don't get to swap a weapon proficiency for the DBS unless you're an elf. Using variant elf weapon proficiencies on another race is like playing a high elf that gives up their +2 Dex +1 Int for the two floating +1s, bonus skill proficiency and bonus feat from variant human, and justifying it by saying "well, it's a variant rule". It's not. It's a variant racial feature. It is linked specifically to the race for which it was written.

This is a particularly strange thing to bring up since the DBS is just a martial weapon. Fighters, barbarians et al are all proficient with it, nothing special required.

you are wrong about the elf but right for the class proficiencies bit

If you’re an elf, your blade could have a long and storied history. If you’re not an elf, you might have stolen the weapon from a fallen foe or received it from a dying Valenar ally. If you work with your DM to create the story behind your double scimitar, you can start with the weapon at 1st level in place of a martial weapon normally granted by your class. However, it can be dangerous for a non-elf to carry a double scimitar.

Yes a fighter should not need to by strict raw, but that assumes that the gm does not decide that it is not covered because it's not a weapon listed in the phb. It also allows starting with it if the GM has decided that you can't just pick one or buy one at the local house Cannith smith. Personally I am somewhat leaning towards requiring either a background or in game development reason for gaining proficiency in the eberron racial weapons in my eberron game & hope that the other ones are equally interesting.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-07-30, 01:20 PM
you are wrong about the elf but right for the class proficiencies bit

That quote has nothing to do with proficiency. You can start with the weapon in your inventory, assuming your DM approves it, without being proficient. For example, a human rogue could swap his rapier for a DBS at character creation. He doesn't get proficiency with the DBS, though; he still needs to use a feat or multiclass. A fighter would still need to get DM approval to start with the DBS at level 1, even though they're proficient with it. The variant that allows an elf to start with weapon proficiency in the DBS is specifically a racial variant that trades out the elven weapon training trait. That means it's restricted to high elves, dark elves and wood elves, and possibly sea elves; eladrin and shadar-kai don't get the elf weapon training trait as part of their subrace, annoyingly, and it's not part of the elf race.

I do agree that I'd require background reasons for starting with one, if for no other reason than to avoid everyone taking one as part of their starting package, selling it for 50 GP, buying the weapon they would have started with and coming out ahead.

Neknoh
2018-07-30, 07:31 PM

Saved Ancestors was sold by a Cyran noble to a clan of Valenar elves during The Last War after rescuing the clan's mounts (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20051114a) by braving a siege staff maintained field of cloudkill in order to gather grass & other plantlife during a siege on their "ancestral" land. After the siege, he was absorbed into the clan & eventually earned the Prestiege of a full member. With the state of warforged souls being unknown, Saved Horses & some of his adopted clan believe that he might be reliving the deeds of a long clanmember "HasAName" from the original Xen'driik uprising who worked with the Tairnadal druids to save as many elves as they could before the giant's retaliated. After nearly 20 years, he's been chosen by a fine daughter of his sister's bloodline.

In case it's not obvious... warforged for race obviously

Optional rule: WGtE pg40 swapping racial languages
Optional rule: WGtE pg40 Common Languages
Warforged Juggernauht: +1 con +2 str, the usual warforged perks, powerful build, an iron fists d4 punch he'll probably never use, Common
Fighter: GWF & the like, full armor/weapon proficiencies
Optional rule: WGtE 172/174 swap a martial weapon prof for prof in dbs doesn't really matter which.
For skills... I considered animal handling,and, history so he can know about the elven history he's been absorbed into.
Basckground Noble knight: History so he knows about his anscestors & his people. Persuasion because why not. Swap the gaming set for herbalism tools as an extension of the crude groundskeeper ones he used to gather feed years ago.
Language: Elven (Turned out that I didn't need to swap a racial language)
equipment: Fine clothes (a Glamerweave bloodrider's headscarf (https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/71/21/59712174237e23fb885589017168636a--elves-fantasy-art.jpg)), signet ring & scroll of pedigree?.... bleep that... he has that stuff engraved directly on his body for all to see the pride of his ancestor HasAName while Saved Ancestors rides into battle atop his own bloodline. The feature of noble knight supplies the Valenar riding horse & a young elf retainer.
Take fighter to 6 for extra attack, nifty features, mounted combatant, and... I'm not sure if feat or asi & which (Both Mobile & aberrant mark have promise but sentinel might too). Caviler was considered, but not too sure which.
Level 7+ Barbarian Yes indeed (http://keith-baker.com/wgte-faq/) Heavy plating while raging should be terrifying on the battlefield
There are a lot of good choices for barbarian; but for Saves Mounts, Ancestral guardian is both most fitting & bleeping awesome since it allows both protecting his bloodline as well as consulting with his ancestors among other things.
averaging 6-8+str+rage +6-8+rage will be brutal, add in the second attack for an extra 6-8+str+rage along with being hard to hit & kill in ways that none of his flesh & blood meat based clanmembers could ever hope to match makes any who question his lineage sure to regret their mistake. Being mounted for advantage against so much stuff with mounted combatant just makes him all that much more scary.

Saves mounts

Looks like I'm rolling a warforged barbarian, going full "Bastion" on this one (another player is a peace-loving, gardening druid): Found in the forest as an overgrown statue, grove got cleaned up, bones laid to rest, bird bath in the palms of the warforged, when the Warforged finally woke back up after the decades since he shut down, the Druid was there to calm him. The rage represents the damaged battle-mode which kicks in on occasion, both by being triggered and self-activation in combat, but a broken power source prevents it from being a constant. Built by elves to fight for elves, he carries the ancient weapon from the battle where he "fell", no real memories of the time. His body inscribed and painted in the faded and broken up patterns and colours of some ancient house (torn piece of a banner) which gives the DM a good plot-hook to throw his past at him as well as expanding further beyond angry elves showing up with "You shouldn't have that weapon"-attitude.

Since the Barbarian nature is rather important to the character, it'll start on Barbarian and go to fighter after level 8 (if I feel I need a second feat, the stat rolls were quite insane), the Fighter skills coming online being explained as old war-systems reactivating inside of his magical, totally-not-a-computer mind.

Rolled stats at level 1 (with the +2 str and +1 con applied):

20str - 14 Dex - 16 Con - 9 int - 14 wis - 10 cha

Meaning that I might just go straight for feats at level 4 and possibly level 8, since I don't really see where I would need ASI (But PAM doesn't apply to the DBS.... soo... maybe 2 more dex or con? Maybe? No clue, first proper DnD5th character).

Tetrasodium
2018-07-30, 09:15 PM
Looks like I'm rolling a warforged barbarian, going full "Bastion" on this one (another player is a peace-loving, gardening druid): Found in the forest as an overgrown statue, grove got cleaned up, bones laid to rest, bird bath in the palms of the warforged, when the Warforged finally woke back up after the decades since he shut down, the Druid was there to calm him. The rage represents the damaged battle-mode which kicks in on occasion, both by being triggered and self-activation in combat, but a broken power source prevents it from being a constant. Built by elves to fight for elves, he carries the ancient weapon from the battle where he "fell", no real memories of the time. His body inscribed and painted in the faded and broken up patterns and colours of some ancient house (torn piece of a banner) which gives the DM a good plot-hook to throw his past at him as well as expanding further beyond angry elves showing up with "You shouldn't have that weapon"-attitude.

Since the Barbarian nature is rather important to the character, it'll start on Barbarian and go to fighter after level 8 (if I feel I need a second feat, the stat rolls were quite insane), the Fighter skills coming online being explained as old war-systems reactivating inside of his magical, totally-not-a-computer mind.

Rolled stats at level 1 (with the +2 str and +1 con applied):

20str - 14 Dex - 16 Con - 9 int - 14 wis - 10 cha

Meaning that I might just go straight for feats at level 4 and possibly level 8, since I don't really see where I would need ASI (But PAM doesn't apply to the DBS.... soo... maybe 2 more dex or con? Maybe? No clue, first proper DnD5th character).

They aren't robots, they are actually living creaturesmore like a myconid, treant, phoenix, etc than a meat based race but is a living creature & nobody really knows what powers them. Keith Baker has mentioned somewhere that he's going to be doing an article/post about the living nature on his blog (http://keith-baker.com). The only time frame I saw was something like not likely to be ready before monday (ie today). sometime in the next couple weeks & definitely before the end of august are probably good estimates based on his historty.

You can't use dex with rage in 5e. House Cannith made all the warforged (using scavenged tech made by the giants of xendrik), the an elf clan might have commissioned one for any number of reasons including at a deep discount in exchange for meddling in political affairs in ways that House Cannith is legally bound to avoid doing. my Original post was pretty much aimed at getting good use out of it & unquestionably deserving to use it.... With that 14 dex 16 con, you might very much want to consider an aberrant mark (wgte111/112) too since it would give you a cantrip from the sorcerer list that uses con & a 1/long rest 1st level spell of the same list/stat. >:D

If you want to go full bore mysterious origin however, there are rumors mentioned in some of the eberron books (ie secrets of xendriik?) about how warforged-like creatures that far predate House Cannith making warforged & those are called Quorforged because they almost certainly had something do do with the giants trying to defend themselves from the quori invasion or possibly making bodies for them to flee to as refugees (deliberately left unanswered). Every warforged has a unique mark of their forehead called a Ghulra (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Ghulra) (truth) & House Cannith keeps a record of them so anything not made almost right up to the day of mourning itself could just be looked up by its mark... Unless it was a Quorforged or made illegally from a secret forge after the treaty of thronehold mandated that the creation forges needed to be taken apart. There have been a lot of indications/rumors/hints that merrix (guy in charge of house Cannith) or someone else still has a functioning creation forge illegally operating in secret though.