PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Mountain Dwarf Fighter going Champion

ZorroGames
2018-07-28, 09:02 AM
BLUF - trying for a fighter role.

Secondary: Ranged ability to hit from >30 feet.

Tertiary: Balancing “-1s” for saves/Skills versus “0s.”

Some spells to concentrate on would be useful.

Start
ST 15+2
DE 14
CO 15+2
IN 8
WI 10
CH 8

Chain, Shield, L.Swd., LCB.

FS Archery for the LCB/ranged attack. HCB later optionally. Long Bow doable too but HCB more “Dwarfy.”

* Outlander Background.

Proficient: Acrobatics (flavor/climbing,) * Athletics, Perception, and * Survival.

ASI/Feats:
4: +1 ST, +1 CO
6: Mobile
8: CBE
12: +2 DE
14: Defensive Duelist
16: +2 DE
19: TBD - Resilient DE or WI? Alert?

The only easy (level cost) way to get spells besides MC Rogue would be Magic Initiate for Touch or Self Spells. Wizard Shocking Grasp, Mage Hand or Message; Shield or Feather Fall (utility) is my first thought. Warlock has Hex. Druid has Goodberry.

Constructive tweaks invited.

Remember I value Role play over total mechanical optimizing.

Exocist
2018-07-28, 09:15 AM
Are you set on Champion 20?

Also I think a Warhammer is a better weapon than a Longsword (more relevant damage type, really minor though) and is more Dwarf-y. You could use it as a hammer as part of a hammer+chisel combo, break stuff with it, use the other end as an improvised ice axe/piton, etc.

CTurbo
2018-07-28, 10:04 AM

Start
ST 15+2
DE 14
CO 15+2
IN 8
WI 10
CH 8

FS Archery for the LCB/ranged attack. HCB later optionally. Long Bow doable too but HCB more “Dwarfy.”

* Outlander Background.

Proficient: Acrobatics (flavor/climbing,) * Athletics, Perception, and * Survival.

ASI/Feats:

The only easy (level cost) way to get spells besides MC Rogue would be Magic Initiate for Touch or Self Spells. Wizard Shocking Grasp, Mage Hand or Message; Shield or Feather Fall (utility) is my first thought. Warlock has Hex. Druid has Goodberry.

I'm not understanding what you're going for here. Are you wanting to build a primarily ranged Dwarf Champion? You're getting 18 str early but then taking Archery and CBE later. Defensive Duelist doesn't even work with any of the rest of the build.

If this is the concept you're going for, I'd start 14+2 Str, 15 Dex, 13+2 Con, 8 Int, 12 Wis, 10 Cha
Bump +1 Dex and Con at 4
Take CBE at 6
+2 Dex at 8
Take Mobile or Magic Initiate at 12
Take Mobile or Magic Initiate at 14
+2 Dex at 16
tbd at 19

I think a Hill Dwarf Archer Hunter Ranger would be more interesting

djreynolds
2018-07-28, 12:36 PM

Start
ST 15+2
DE 14
CO 15+2
IN 8
WI 10
CH 8

* Outlander Background.

ASI/Feats:

I would take magic initiate right off the bat at 4th level, and really the best class is cleric for you. I would grab bless, its 1d4 to attack and 1d4 to saves. You will need this because your wisdom saves are you weak point, also you can help out 2 other buddies

Grab guidance, its a good spell to concentrate on for skill purposes.

Spare the dying would be my other cantrip choice because of your low wisdom makes sacred flame or toll the dead, not so hot. If not grab the resistance cantrip, its 1d4 for any save and lasts 1 minute (very good cantrip)

The buffs on str/con can wait. Grab CBE at 6th, and here switch over to crossbow. Grab sharpshooter at 8th level, now you have the bless spell and sharpshooter.

Then max out dex. Unless you are in melee... do you really need the mobile feat?

The other aspect is, with mountain dwarf you do not need a 15 in strength to wear heavy armor, this could go to wisdom.

Also squat nimbleness could also help, +1 dex, +5 to speed, acrobatics or athletics as a free skill

4. MI cleric bless, guidance, and resistance
6. CBE, until 6th level use a short bow because of the extra attack
8. sharp shooter
12. dex
14. dex
16. resilient wisdom
19. Lucky

Good luck

ZorroGames
2018-07-28, 05:44 PM
Are you set on Champion 20?

Also I think a Warhammer is a better weapon than a Longsword (more relevant damage type, really minor though) and is more Dwarf-y. You could use it as a hammer as part of a hammer+chisel combo, break stuff with it, use the other end as an improvised ice axe/piton, etc.

Yes, it was the reason for the design to see how max ASIs and Feats would make or break the “combat character.”

Oh, I will eventually have all four “Dwarf proficient” weapons plus Long Sword and the Crossbow thing.

Maybe I could pay extra for a War Hammer-Military Pick combo weapon?

ZorroGames
2018-07-28, 05:47 PM
I'm not understanding what you're going for here. Are you wanting to build a primarily ranged Dwarf Champion? You're getting 18 str early but then taking Archery and CBE later. Defensive Duelist doesn't even work with any of the rest of the build.

If this is the concept you're going for, I'd start 14+2 Str, 15 Dex, 13+2 Con, 8 Int, 12 Wis, 10 Cha
Bump +1 Dex and Con at 4
Take CBE at 6
+2 Dex at 8
Take Mobile or Magic Initiate at 12
Take Mobile or Magic Initiate at 14
+2 Dex at 16
tbd at 19

I think a Hill Dwarf Archer Hunter Ranger would be more interesting

No, a melee and ranged capable Champion - not a Arnie but an Athlete dangerous at long range and more dangerous close up. At 25 movement I am not running down my foes...

Def. Duel. Is because sometimes defense must prioritize over offense.

Nope, I have my Hill Dwarf Character already.

ZorroGames
2018-07-28, 05:49 PM
I would take magic initiate right off the bat at 4th level, and really the best class is cleric for you. I would grab bless, its 1d4 to attack and 1d4 to saves. You will need this because your wisdom saves are you weak point, also you can help out 2 other buddies

Grab guidance, its a good spell to concentrate on for skill purposes.

Spare the dying would be my other cantrip choice because of your low wisdom makes sacred flame or toll the dead, not so hot. If not grab the resistance cantrip, its 1d4 for any save and lasts 1 minute (very good cantrip)

The buffs on str/con can wait. Grab CBE at 6th, and here switch over to crossbow. Grab sharpshooter at 8th level, now you have the bless spell and sharpshooter.

Then max out dex. Unless you are in melee... do you really need the mobile feat?

The other aspect is, with mountain dwarf you do not need a 15 in strength to wear heavy armor, this could go to wisdom.

Also squat nimbleness could also help, +1 dex, +5 to speed, acrobatics or athletics as a free skill

4. MI cleric bless, guidance, and resistance
6. CBE, until 6th level use a short bow because of the extra attack
8. sharp shooter
12. dex
14. dex
16. resilient wisdom
19. Lucky

Good luck

A worthy alternative that I will consider. Gracias.

Crgaston
2018-07-28, 07:35 PM
Def. Duel. Is because sometimes defense must prioritize over offense

You probably know this, but you need a finesse weapon for DD to work. A fine Dwarven short sword strapped to your back would do nicely, especially if you take Dueling for your second FS at L10.