PDA

View Full Version : Starting up in AL

carrdrivesyou
2018-07-28, 09:37 AM
So I will be joining up with my local Adventure League group. I was hoping to play a half-elf celestial warlock with the Urchin background. Trying to be a sort of healing robin hood.

Does anyone know if this is all legal, additionally, if I take the starting gold, how much do I actually get?

Bel-Torac
2018-07-28, 09:44 AM
It's fine, AL is phb +1 so your +1 is xanathars. If you want the full rules, you can download them off dmsguild.com. As for starting gold I don't know.

Grear Bylls
2018-07-28, 09:46 AM
So I will be joining up with my local Adventure League group. I was hoping to play a half-elf celestial warlock with the Urchin background. Trying to be a sort of healing robin hood.

Does anyone know if this is all legal, additionally, if I take the starting gold, how much do I actually get?

That is legal. You just follow the normal creation rules, with gold and equipment from background and class.

Griswold
2018-07-28, 11:57 AM
You can't choose the alternative to start with gold; you get the equipment as described in the class and background (a few background give you some gold). You can sell it though. From the player's guide:

Your character’s class and background determine equipment and gold; don’t roll for starting wealth.
Trinkets. You start with one trinket of your choice from the table in Chapter 5 of the Player’s Handbook, or you can roll randomly to determine your trinket.
Equipment. Your character can sell or buy spell components and equipment found in the resources
listed in Step 1 & 2, above.

8wGremlin
2018-07-28, 07:49 PM
You can't choose the alternative to start with gold; you get the equipment as described in the class and background (a few background give you some gold). You can sell it though. From the player's guide:

Remember that selling equipment still gives you only 1/2 the gp value.

Avigor
2018-07-28, 10:50 PM
All the above are true. Also be aware of the value of the starting options if starting gear is an issue, for example I created a sage wizard and the only way for me to start with a book of lore was to take the scholar's pack because of the 25 gp cost; depending on what you want to start with, you might want to counter-intuitively start with a pack and/or other piece of starting gear (like a specific weapon; how many warlocks actually use that light crossbow? That makes for an easy 13 gp selling it and the bolts at character creation) that you don't want so you can sell it to buy stuff you do.