PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Question

cartejos
2018-07-28, 04:44 PM
In a gestalt game, say you're playing a wizard and take a level in Suel Arcanamach or another prestige class that grants its own spellcasting.

Then say you take levels in shadowcraft mage, qualifying through your wizard levels.

Shadowcraft Mages spellcasting ability doesn't specify that you have to apply it to the class that granted you access to the prc, like some other prcs do.

Is there a general rule that says you must apply spellcasting levels to the class that provided you access to the prc?
Or can you add the prc spellcasting levels to any spellcasting class, since it doesn't specify that you have to apply them only to classes that granted access to the class?

This isn't a question posed for any specific character, more of a general question that I was thinking about.

Mike Miller
2018-07-28, 05:57 PM
It almost always says in the PrC spellcasting description that you choose the class to apply the casting to if multiple options exist.

cartejos
2018-07-28, 06:03 PM
Multiple options exist, I'm just questioning if one of those options is valid even if that particular set of spellcasting wouldn't grant you access to the class.

For instance (not a good character example, just a possible one) wizard 7/ur-priest 2/shadowcraft mage 5

The Wizard is granting you the 4th level spells required to enter shadowcraft mage, and ur-priest doesn't have the ability to cast those spells. Can I still use Shadowcraft Mage to advance Ur-Priest casting?

Mike Miller
2018-07-28, 06:09 PM
Yes, you can do that

Kaje
2018-07-28, 07:00 PM
Did you have a question about gestalt?

grarrrg
2018-07-28, 08:59 PM
Did you have a question about gestalt?

Agreed, not strictly a Gestalt question.
Although it is a LOT easier, and less 'build-killing' to do in a Gestalt game.

In a Gestalt game you do risk running afoul of the "no double stacking" rule.