PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Redcloak's worst day (SOD spoilers)

Morty
2018-07-28, 05:31 PM
The exchange between Durkon and Durkula reminded me of something. Durkula said that we are who we are on our very worst day. Durkon countered this by saying that yes, we are, but we're also who we are on the next day and the day after that.

This reminded me of what Right-Eye told Redcloak just before his death: that he's still the angry kid who saw his whole family die. Or something along those lines; I'm away from my copy right now. Is this the same thing Durkon is talking about here? Seems to me like Redcloak is still stuck in his worst day, when almost everyone he knew died, and he can't move past it.

I'm probably stretching things here, but I just felt a connection between those two things.

RMS Oceanic
2018-07-28, 05:53 PM
The exchange between Durkon and Durkula reminded me of something. Durkula said that we are who we are on our very worst day. Durkon countered this by saying that yes, we are, but we're also who we are on the next day and the day after that.

This reminded me of what Right-Eye told Redcloak just before his death: that he's still the angry kid who saw his whole family die. Or something along those lines; I'm away from my copy right now. Is this the same thing Durkon is talking about here? Seems to me like Redcloak is still stuck in his worst day, when almost everyone he knew died, and he can't move past it.

I'm probably stretching things here, but I just felt a connection between those two things.

The day he was told he was living his worst day might just have become his new worst day, given what happened after that argument. :smallfrown:

I'm not sure if that's Redcloak's driving motivation, given how it all concludes. Even with 830 making it seem like he's got things under control it's all about making good on the sacrifices he's made (or had goblinkind make) so they weren't wasted. Those sacrifices may have been motivated by being an angry kid at first, but now they're a motive in themselves.

martianmister
2018-07-28, 06:26 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0082.html) is Redcloak's worst day.

Elfich
2018-07-30, 12:00 AM

If I remember correctly that argument was done in two parts - The first half was between Wrong-eye and Redcloak where they both acknowledge that they have both grown. And then the second half of the argument where Redcloak has grown he is still pipsqueak in comparison to Xykon.

Lord Raziere
2018-07-30, 12:27 AM

Its not too far-fetched. See, the Red cloak of....y'know.....makes someone stop aging. not just physically, but mentally it seems as well. he is still mentally, a teenager from the day his parents died. sure he still develops and learns, but emotionally he is still stuck like that. so....technically, he stopped aging on his worst day. so yes, he is stuck on his worst day, maybe not entirely of his own choice. if we're being technical, growing allows one to grow past the worst day, and thus he was never allowed to grow past it.

but then again, he is still a person enough that you can tell that there were and are moments he could've decided: maybe I should just stop. Maybe it'd be better to forget this and be happy. he could've chosen at some point to stop being on his worst day even with his non-aging. but he didn't. well, he did choose to stop being on his worst day once, in that book, but y'know, Xykon ruined that. I guess Redcloak could've tried to destroy the phylactery and fight Xykon at the goblin village, but it wouldn't have guaranteed victory and many of the goblins would probably die. he could've done so when Dorukan was fighting Xykon and maybe it would work. he could've just destroyed phylactery while Xykon was still weak and he had found a hobgoblin empire to boss around. he could've teamed up against Xykon with Vaarsuvius when they scry-and-died him.

but every time he'd rather preserve Xykon's life for his overall plan, even if Xykon was once probably the exact kind of human he would hate due to his disregard for anyone's lives, and arguably kills just as many as his goblins as the adventurers do. so to him- all humans must be like Xykon to him, because he is still on that worst day where he can't see them as anything better, and thinks Xykon is just the honest one of the lot. to Redcloak, all virtue just seems hypocrisy and lies. too blinded by his hate to see any better.

Dion
2018-08-01, 11:16 PM
This is an interesting thread. Contrast Rodcloak’s reaction Lien’s reaction to her worse day ever in #1032.

Or, look at Greyvuew the Dire Wolf’s life philosophy in #1037.

Or, even look at Haley and Crystal’s discussion early in the book.

The overarching theme of all of the “well adjusted” character philosophies in this book is to accept that life isn’t fair, and to do so with some humility and perspective.

Well, I’m not sure we can say that about Greyview. He does appear to be helping to destroy the world. But he’s getting yummy treats out of the deal, so I can’t blame him.