PDA

View Full Version : Why DMG 6 additional optional rules isn't AL legal?

Ryuu Hayato
2018-07-29, 12:57 AM
The DMG has 6 additional optional rules that can make melee combat more interesting on page 271 and 272:
• "grapple" onto a larger creature, climbing on to them (str or dex)
• attempt to disarm their opponent with a mellee swing (str or dex)
• Marking (this one is less of a move and more of a straight martial PC and NPC buff, it makes opportunity attack more potent after melee swings) (str or dex)
• Barge THROUGH the enemy's space, overun (str) costs an action or bonus action.
• Shove the enemy aside instead of backwards (str)
• Tumble through the enemy's space (dex), costs an action or bonus action

The question is why Wizards don't make it AL legal? It's a boost to every martial. Furthermore, you feel more open to environment as RPG should be. Doesn't seem right that only BM can do some tricks. Really, it's weird think that I can't disarm someone in AL events or either other table, because I'm not a BM. Or, climb on dragon to attack him there on his back.

Exocist
2018-07-29, 01:32 AM
The question is why Wizards don't make it AL legal? It's a boost to every martial. Furthermore, you feel more open to environment as RPG should be. Doesn't seem right that only BM can do some tricks. Really, it's weird think that I can't disarm someone in AL events or either other table, because I'm not a BM. Or, climb on dragon to attack him there on his back.

There's your answer: They're Wizards of the Coast.

Not Martials of the Mountain.
Nor are they:
- Fighters of the Forest
- Barbarians of the Bayou
- Paladins of the Prairie
- Monks of the Mesa
- Rangers of the River
- Rogues of the Ravine

Seriously though, I'm not entirely sure why some Variant/Optional rules (Variant human, Feats, Multiclassing) are allowed, but some aren't. Maybe it has to do with popularity?

OvisCaedo
2018-07-29, 01:39 AM
A few of the alternate maneuvers seem cool, marking seems pretty unnecessary... But in either case, I feel like the reason they're not allowed is probably the same reason that they're an optional rule that's also tucked away in the DM's manual instead of in the PHB where players would be more likely to find out that such optional rules even exist. My guess for that is that Wizards just weren't convinced that they were a good idea/balanced.

JellyPooga
2018-07-29, 02:18 AM
There's your answer: They're Wizards of the Coast.

Not Martials of the Mountain.
Nor are they:
- Fighters of the Forest
- Barbarians of the Bayou
- Paladins of the Prairie
- Monks of the Mesa
- Rangers of the River
- Rogues of the Ravine

No, no, no...you've got it all wrong. Wizards of the Coast is a letter-shift, not alliteration.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A B C D E F

So it'd be Barbarians of the Horn or Fighters of the...er...Ledge? Rogues of the, um, Xaaaa...Xe..Xi...??? Never mind Rogues, how about Paladins of the...Veranda? OK, so maybe that doesn't work! :smalltongue:

qube
2018-07-29, 02:27 AM
As someone who usually plays martial characters, but also DMs a lot - i can tell you I wouldn't want half any of those rules in my games to begin with.

doesn't really make sense
- Haf the time, grappling someone significantly larger doesn't make sense. You simply don't have the mass to keep them into place. (ESPECIALLY if they are so large you need to start climing onto them ! ). Don't believe me? There's a horse. Go and grapple it, while it tries to escape. GL HF.

other classes
- Disarming is what Battlemasters do. You wanna disarm? go battlemaster; or take the feat that gives you 2 manouvres.
- Marking is what rangers & pals of vengeance do. You wanna mark? take one of those classes, or multiclass into them.

not even a buf
Positioning is a tanks greatest power. The ability to put himself between the enemy and the frail wizard. The ability to force the enemy to first take on you - 'cause unlike that sack o' bones behind you, you can take it!
- barging through enemies seems like fun at first glance, if you can do it, enemies can do it as well. As a tank, I don't want that !
- shoving enemies aside ... ref above.
- tumbling through enemies ... ref above.

DeTess
2018-07-29, 02:35 AM
As someone who usually plays martial characters, but also DMs a lot - i can tell you I wouldn't want half any of those rules in my games to begin with.

doesn't really make sense
- Haf the time, grappling someone significantly larger doesn't make sense. You simply don't have the mass to keep them into place. (ESPECIALLY if they are so large you need to start climing onto them ! ). Don't believe me? There's a horse. Go and grapple it, while it tries to escape. GL HF.

That particular rule uses a grapple check to 'mount' the big creature, not to immobilize them. So you're not pinning the dragon in place, you're climbing on its back to make sure you remain with it when it flies away.

Exocist
2018-07-29, 04:22 AM
No, no, no...you've got it all wrong. Wizards of the Coast is a letter-shift, not alliteration.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A B C D E F

So it'd be Barbarians of the Horn or Fighters of the...er...Ledge? Rogues of the, um, Xaaaa...Xe..Xi...??? Never mind Rogues, how about Paladins of the...Veranda? OK, so maybe that doesn't work! :smalltongue:

Barbarians of the Hill
Fighters of the Lighthouse
Rogues of the Xystus
Rangers of the Xenodochium
Paladins of the Vicarage
Monks of the Synagogue

You're welcome :smalltongue:

If you want the other casters:

Sorcerers of the Yurt
Warlocks of the Cavern
Bards of the Hothouse (you all know why it's hot :smallwink: )
Clerics of the Iceberg
Druids of the Jungle

Lord Vukodlak
2018-07-29, 05:28 AM
Because WoTC doesn’t run AL