PDA

View Full Version : Silence spell clarification ...

orlondok
2018-07-29, 11:32 AM
In the silence spell (PHB 79):

Quote: "The spell can be centered on a creature, and the effect then radiates from the creature and moves as it moves."

Next line: "An unwilling creature can attempt a Will save to negate the spell and can use spell resistance, if any."

The period after the first sentence offers the question:
Does the 2nd sentence refer to the previous sentence only (ie. a save when the spell is cast on the creature)
or does it refer to anyone that encounters the silence (ie. when said creature from 1st sentence walks up to a 2nd creature ... does 2nd creature get a save for encountering the silence at this time?)

hope this is clear ... sorry if this was asked before, I tried a couple of searches and could not find it ...

liquidformat
2018-07-29, 11:41 AM
I am pretty sure that the save/spell res only applies to creatures that are the target of the spell and not any creature that happens to walk into its radius.

Necroticplague
2018-07-29, 12:14 PM
In the silence spell (PHB 79):

Quote: "The spell can be centered on a creature, and the effect then radiates from the creature and moves as it moves."

Next line: "An unwilling creature can attempt a Will save to negate the spell and can use spell resistance, if any."

The period after the first sentence offers the question:
Does the 2nd sentence refer to the previous sentence only (ie. a save when the spell is cast on the creature)
or does it refer to anyone that encounters the silence (ie. when said creature from 1st sentence walks up to a 2nd creature ... does 2nd creature get a save for encountering the silence at this time?)

hope this is clear ... sorry if this was asked before, I tried a couple of searches and could not find it ...

The SR and save only affect you if you're essentially 'targeting' the spell. There's no save or SR against the spell being cast in the area you're in, only against it being centered on you. That's why the SR and Save lines say 'see text or none'.

So if you try and cast Silence on a spellcaster, they can make a will save and SR to simply have the silence never come into affect. If you simply cast it in a point near them, there's no save or SR, but they can also simply walk out of it.

orlondok
2018-07-29, 12:28 PM
I thought this was the case, but wanted some clarification / a 2nd opinion ...

Thanks much for the speedy replies.