PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph (or similar) question

cartejos
2018-07-29, 12:12 PM
Is it possible through polymorph, PAO, or any other spell that changes your form, to apply a template to the assumed form?

As far as I could find the answer is no, because "Every non-HD template could be stacked on the same creature"
But also I could only find information on Alter Self, Polymorph, and Shapechange, is there ANY ability that would let you assume a templated creature?

cartejos
2018-07-29, 12:34 PM
Follow Up question: What are the best polymorph forms for Two Weapon Fighting or Multiweapon Fighting?

sleepyphoenixx
2018-07-29, 12:49 PM
Is it possible through polymorph, PAO, or any other spell that changes your form, to apply a template to the assumed form?

As far as I could find the answer is no, because "Every non-HD template could be stacked on the same creature"
But also I could only find information on Alter Self, Polymorph, and Shapechange, is there ANY ability that would let you assume a templated creature?
No. Or at least not freely. There are some options that allow you to assume the form of a creature with a specific template, but not with free choice.

Follow Up question: What are the best polymorph forms for Two Weapon Fighting or Multiweapon Fighting?
Probably the Darktentacles (MM2). It can wield 12 huge-sized weapons at once and takes no penalties for MWF with a 15ft reach.
It's 3.0 though and you'll need Shapechange, Greater Metamorphosis, Aberration WS + Enhance Wild Shape or MoMF 7 because the Weapon Use and Enhanced Multiweapon Fighting are (Ex) special qualities.

Kayblis
2018-07-29, 01:51 PM
There are a few specific spells that let you add a template to a creature. They usually have special conditions on who can be affected and some cost in one way or another. Here are a few:
Vile Death adds the Fiendish template to some undead.
Sanctify Wicked Creature applies the Sanctified Creature template.
Incarnate Construct applies the template of the same name to a humanoid-shaped construct.

I'm sure there are more, but I don't have them right now.

Bronk
2018-07-30, 08:37 AM
...is there ANY ability that would let you assume a templated creature?

Aside from the previously mentioned group of spells that apply templates, there are also feats that modify a Druid's wild shape ability to allow taking templated forms (Exalted wild shape lets you become a celestial animal).

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-30, 09:45 AM
Complete Divine has the curse of lycanthropy spell, which you can use to grant any lycanthropy suitable for the target (ie, within one size category of it).

Planar apotheosis (Complete Psionic) grants the fiendish or celestial templates.

The fusion power (Expanded Psionics Handbook) with a creature with your desired template can temporarily grant you said template. Using the Linked Power feat (to shorten the manifesting time) combined with astral seed will give you said template permanently the next time you die.

Or you could use the various flavors of mind switch or magic jar to do something similar via body-swaps.

Jack_Simth
2018-07-30, 06:06 PM
The fusion power (Expanded Psionics Handbook) with a creature with your desired template can temporarily grant you said template. Using the Linked Power feat (to shorten the manifesting time) combined with astral seed will give you said template permanently the next time you die.Note: This is arguable. It works in TO discussions, and possibly at some tables, but there's nothing stopping "remaining durations on effects" to be part of the abilities you had at the time of manifesting Astral Seed - which means you'd only have the template until the Fusion ran out again.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-30, 06:11 PM
Note: This is arguable. It works in TO discussions, and possibly at some tables, but there's nothing stopping "remaining durations on effects" to be part of the abilities you had at the time of manifesting Astral Seed - which means you'd only have the template until the Fusion ran out again....in which case, you have created a clone of the other creature for free?

noob
2018-07-30, 06:21 PM
...in which case, you have created a clone of the other creature for free?

In a way more complex than just casting ice assassin and that clone is not under your control so I do not really see the point of doing that rather than just casting ice assassin.

Jack_Simth
2018-07-31, 07:13 AM
...in which case, you have created a clone of the other creature for free?
You consider a level lost to death free?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-31, 08:27 AM
You consider a level lost to death free?You paid for bringing yourself back to life (although that's easily recouped). The rest is a bonus.

noob
2018-07-31, 01:40 PM
You paid for bringing yourself back to life (although that's easily recouped). The rest is a bonus.
I guess that if you do not have true resurrection insurance it means you get free copies of people instead of having to cast ice assassin.
but those people are not under your control so you are still better off casting ice assassin unless your gm allows you to use copies of yourself as back up adventurers should your soul be cruelly annihilated.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-31, 03:29 PM
Also friends, family, pets...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/monster/images/e/ec/Nina_chimera.png

All of the above...

noob
2018-07-31, 04:44 PM
Also friends, family, pets...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/monster/images/e/ec/Nina_chimera.png

All of the above...

so you can pick all of the above at once as a replacement character?