PDA

View Full Version : The Arcane Archer Problem

Wrynn
2018-07-29, 02:04 PM
Ok. I'm looking to take 2 levels in arcane archer I just want the imbue arrows ability so I can use burst spells at range. I'd like to also be a very good archer. I'm trying to find a class that will give me the ability to get a lot of burst damage spells and a lot of bow abilities. I am using this build in a campaign that typically only runs up to level 15 because its a campaign that only spans 2 college semesters. I'd like to actually be able to get some play out of it at its best or near best before the campaign is on its last session. any ideas on how to get this build online early?

Fouredged Sword
2018-07-29, 02:17 PM
Arcane archer is best as a gish. I suggest wizard 5 / Ruathar 3 / Abjurant champion 5 / arcane archer 2 or some variation therein.

Mike Miller
2018-07-29, 02:46 PM
Ok. I'm looking to take 2 levels in arcane archer I just want the imbue arrows ability so I can use burst spells at range. I'd like to also be a very good archer. I'm trying to find a class that will give me the ability to get a lot of burst damage spells and a lot of bow abilities. I am using this build in a campaign that typically only runs up to level 15 because its a campaign that only spans 2 college semesters. I'd like to actually be able to get some play out of it at its best or near best before the campaign is on its last session. any ideas on how to get this build online early?

Are there particular spells you want? I have some ideas. Any classes ok? What sources are available?

Arkain
2018-07-29, 04:31 PM
Use/convince DM to use Pathfinder's Arcane Archer. You get actual spell progression (if only 7/10), so it's a gish class of its own.

Eldariel
2018-07-29, 04:45 PM
The best and most natural AA is Bard 8/Arcane Archer 2/Sublime Chord 2/Sacred Exorcist 4 (well, you'll only get to Sacred Exorcist 3). Star Elf or something similar (gets +2 Charisma), some items to add some more spells known and you're golden. This build is fine until level 8 but really kicks into high gear on level 11 with Sublime Chord when you suddenly get 5th level spells to imbue while even full casters are only at 6ths. You get to shoot Antimagic Fields at people on level 13.

Combine Charming the Arrow (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a) and Divine Might and you can eventually add Cha to damage and to hit if desired making you a godlike Archer. Though if your Dex is decent, Charming the Arrow is probably an overkill - it requires the Fey-type, which practically speaking requires either the Half-Fey [Fiend Folio] or Unseelie Fey [Dragon Magazine] Templates; for a standard Elf, you can make do without it just fine though (you can use Polymorph as desired; Arrow Demon [MMIII] is the obvious form but any form with good Dex and Str is more than fine). Inspire Courage can also turbocharge your arrows and to hit if you need extra boost (Words of Creation would be a great investment to that end, though not obligatory).

This enters Arcane Archer one level later than Ranger 1/Wizard 6 but has more casting once on 11. Thus I think it's the better of the two though of course prepared casting has significant benefits over spontaneous casting. Still, Divine Might off Sacred Exorcist turning (you can enter on level 12) allows you to add Cha to damage for a round Cha+3 times per day, which is just really nice for an archer; no equivalent option exists for Int, which also leads me to lean towards Charisma-based classes.

Psyren
2018-07-29, 04:47 PM
Use/convince DM to use Pathfinder's Arcane Archer. You get actual spell progression (if only 7/10), so it's a gish class of its own.

That; you can find it right here (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/arcane-archer/). Even if you only drop out at 2 as planned, you save a caster level.

StreamOfTheSky
2018-07-30, 12:44 AM
That; you can find it right here (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/arcane-archer/). Even if you only drop out at 2 as planned, you save a caster level.

But if you use the PF version, you don't get to cast Guards and Wards as a standard action.
The whole point of Arcane Archer is to instantly turn the BBEG's lair into your lair and use it against him! :smalltongue:

Psyren
2018-07-30, 12:51 AM
But if you use the PF version, you don't get to cast Guards and Wards as a standard action.
The whole point of Arcane Archer is to instantly turn the BBEG's lair into your lair and use it against him! :smalltongue:

Valid point! Please disregard my advice :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2018-07-30, 02:54 AM
Let's not forget that Pathfinder has the Prestigious Spellcaster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/prestigious-spellcaster/)-feat, which actually makes Arcane Archer decent, if awfully feat-hungry enabling you to go 10/10 casting. Of course, the rest of the class features after Imbue Arrow still suck regardless (well, the free Element on 3rd level and Alignment on 9th level are solid buffs and Arrow of Death is decent on Sorcerers but Sorcs suck as gishes and in general so...) so mostly it's just a full BAB full casting class with abilities that are useful once a year or so.

ericgrau
2018-07-30, 09:07 PM
I think everyone is missing his question. He's not trying to build a warrior nor gish arcane archer. He's trying to play a caster who takes only 2 levels for imbue arrows. What he actually needs is a list of AoE spells that you can exploit with imbue arrows.

Imbue Arrow (Sp)
At 2nd level, an arcane archer gains the ability to place an area spell upon an arrow. When the arrow is fired, the spell’s area is centered on where the arrow lands, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. This ability allows the archer to use the bow’s range rather than the spell’s range. It takes a standard action to cast the spell and fire the arrow. The arrow must be fired in the round the spell is cast, or the spell is wasted.

So exploitable AoE spells cenetered on the caster are great. Close range AoE spells are sometimes good.

AMF is a great choice. Other than that spells are really hard to find and a list is extremely helpful. Though I just noticed that the spell is centered where the arrow lands not on the arrow, so someone might walk out of the AMF on their turn even if the arrow was stuck in them.

I did a search and found:

Doom scarabs (PHB2): 1d6/2 CL untyped SR no damage in 60' cone, plus you gain 1d4 temp HP per creature hit (this part SR yes).
Fear: 30' cone, will negates
Ironthunder horn (SpC), 30' cone, fall prone, reflex negates
Nauseating breath (SpC), 30' cone, nauseated 1d6 rounds, fort negates, SR no
Prismatic spray, 60' cone, 4/7 chance AOE SoL, 3/7 chance damage (70 avg, ref half)
Waves of Exhaustion, 60' cone, exhaustion (-6 str & dex, 1/2 speed), no save, SR yes, inst duration
Wings of Flurry (Races of the Dragon), sorcerer only, 30' radius, 1d6 dmg per CL (ref half), plus those that fail save are stunned for 1 round
Cone spells in general are nice. Cone damage spells get a little better, which is sometimes good. Cone of cold can wipe out a dozen or so foes, because if you're fighting that many their CR is probably low.

daremetoidareyo
2018-07-31, 12:07 AM
Get glyph of warding on your spell list. Then turn any spell (3rd or lower) into an AoE.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-07-31, 05:17 PM
If we’re getting into PF, it also has the Arrowsong Minstrel Bard and Eldritch Archer Magus as base classes. The latter is a more traditional “cast spells through arrows” class and goes well with a dip into AA to apply both touch and AoE spells

Quertus
2018-07-31, 05:49 PM
This enters Arcane Archer one level later than Ranger 1/Wizard 6

... I thought AA required BAB +6?

Vertharrad
2018-08-01, 12:26 AM
Yes it does. I think someone made a slight error.

Eldariel
2018-08-01, 05:11 AM
... I thought AA required BAB +6?

Indeed, I mixed the levels around - I somehow conflated the requirements with Eldritch Knight. Though of course, Ranger 6/Wizard 1 or Ranger 5/Wizard 2 is completely untenable far as spell level goes so nevermind; Bard is just the best way to enter the class. Well, you can always do something like Militia (PGtF feat granting martial weapon proficiencies) Wizard 6/Eldritch Knight 3/Arcane Archer 2/EK +7, but that performs no better in the comparison. Wizard 8/Abjurant Champion 2/Arcane Archer 2 would work but that'd only reach fruition on ECL12...

Ericgrau's list is solid but it's also worth keeping in mind simple short and medium range spells (though arrows outrange even long range ones). The run of the mill control spells like Solid Fog, Black Tentacles, Web, Grease, etc. all appreciate a cast range of thousands of feet.