PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Aquatic Campaign Introduction

DorkyBobster
2018-07-29, 06:42 PM
I'm working on a campaign based almost completely underwater, and I have almost everything planned out, except for one major thing: how the players are going to get their hands on their first ship. Any ideas? The more creative the better

This is a 5th edition campaign

Koo Rehtorb
2018-07-29, 08:35 PM
Their rich uncle leaves it to one of them, on the condition that they spend one full night aboard it.

Darth Ultron
2018-07-29, 10:47 PM
Have the characters buy a ship?

Have the characters win the ship in a gambling game?

Have the characters find the empty ship?

Maybe make a mini adventure? The necromancer Zog has filled a ship full of Zombie Pirates and sets off to plunder the shipping lanes. The characters are hired to stop him....and get to keep the ship.

Maybe the characters find a magic gold compass that can summon a ship?

Or, maybe the characters find a Ship in a Bottle as some treasure...and notice the ship looks very real and move....then break the bottle and get the real ship out...

Xuc Xac
2018-07-30, 01:38 AM
Why do they need a ship underwater?

If they're supposed to have a ship for the campaign, why do they need to get their hands on one? Just let them start with one. Tell them to make characters that are the crew of the ship.

If you wanted to run a game of Star Wars/Star Trek/Firefly/etc., would you make them start on the ground and buy/steal/inherit/find a ship in order to do the "real" campaign? Skip the intro and cut to the chase.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-07-30, 03:17 AM
Have them meet as slaves recently acquired by a pirate captain. Start the game off when they're already at sea. They'll start planning their takeover of the ship almost immediately, which is fine because they're slaves, they're not supposed to have any loyalty to this captain. Just as they're setting their plan in motion, have the ship dive. This both screws with their plans forcing them to improvise and improves the value of their reward, balancing out on the right side of "the DM is against us".

It's a tomato surprise, none of the players knew that magic submarines are a thing in this setting, but it's such a cool twist that they probably won't mind. Plus, by preparing for a pirate campaign they might actually have a bunch of attributes that are useful in an underwater adventure.

For bonus points sprinkle a bunch of hints that the ship is not normal from the start. Whenever someone tries to find a certain part of the ship describe something weird about it. There's copper plating, or a tube sticking out from somewhere, or a valve in the woodwork, or...

The advantage of not having them start with a ship that's technically in their possession is that the part where they argue what each person's role is feels natural. If one of them has been the captain for years the rest should really fall in line, if they just acquired a ship they should still be at the part where they pick a leader.

Andor13
2018-07-30, 09:26 AM
They could find one washed up and abandoned? (Then get sued by the original owners like in the saga of Einar Sokkason.)

Get given one by someone who wants them to do something.

They are members of a ships crew which takes another vessel in a fight and they are assigned as the prize crew.

The Lady of the Lake lobs one at them.

They build it, like Odysseus.

SirGraystone
2018-07-30, 09:52 AM
Start with someone hiring the PCs for a job on the sea, that someone tell them he just bought a ship for the trip and even show them the deed of ownership, then have the NPC murder in some alley, and while searching the body the PCs can find the deed, and any clues you want to give them for the adventure.

I would have the NPC describe how it such a fine ship with a proud history, only to have the PCs find out that it was true, a century ago and it need much repair now. That leave the PCs with a ship in poor shape but that they can repair and upgrade later as they get coins. Which is also a good way to have them spend their loots.

LibraryOgre
2018-07-30, 10:36 AM
Well, "Ship" might have a few meanings. I'm assuming you mean a surface ship, not a submarine.

However, I think "part of a mutiny" is always a good one. "Captured by Pirates" or "fight off pirates and take their ship" are also good options.

Of course, these assume the PCs are capable of sailing a ship.

You might want to consider crew requirements, too. Take a look at how big of a ship the PCs can pilot by themselves, if you don't want to deal with a crew.

DorkyBobster
2018-07-30, 02:05 PM
Why do they need a ship underwater?

They're gonna need a ship above water because, well, traveling underwater causes exhaustion, and they can't sleep underwater unless they find an air-filled cave or the like. I'm planning on them traveling the open ocean, and they'd use a ship to get above the places they need to go underwater.

DorkyBobster
2018-07-30, 02:07 PM
Maybe make a mini adventure? The necromancer Zog has filled a ship full of Zombie Pirates and sets off to plunder the shipping lanes. The characters are hired to stop him....and get to keep the ship.

Or, maybe the characters find a Ship in a Bottle as some treasure...and notice the ship looks very real and move....then break the bottle and get the real ship out...

A mini adventure with zombie pirates is a good idea :)

I really like the Ship in a Bottle idea, though, that's really interesting

DorkyBobster
2018-07-30, 02:14 PM
Start with someone hiring the PCs for a job on the sea, that someone tell them he just bought a ship for the trip and even show them the deed of ownership, then have the NPC murder in some alley, and while searching the body the PCs can find the deed, and any clues you want to give them for the adventure.

I would have the NPC describe how it such a fine ship with a proud history, only to have the PCs find out that it was true, a century ago and it need much repair now. That leave the PCs with a ship in poor shape but that they can repair and upgrade later as they get coins. Which is also a good way to have them spend their loots.

You guys have provided so many good ideas I don't know which one to use.

DorkyBobster
2018-07-30, 02:23 PM
Well, "Ship" might have a few meanings. I'm assuming you mean a surface ship, not a submarine.

Yes, by ship I originally meant surface ship, but after a few comments about magical submarine, I'm considering that too.

Darth Ultron
2018-07-30, 02:25 PM
You guys have provided so many good ideas I don't know which one to use.

Use them all?

DorkyBobster
2018-07-30, 02:31 PM
Use them all?

I mean, they could be slaves on a pirate's galley or sloop, cause a mutiny, and in the captain's quarters they find a ship in a bottle, but it appears to be moving with a small crew inside. If they break it, it enlarges into a life-size ship with a full crew of sea fallen or sea spawn that must be defeated to claim the ship, and the former slaves of the ship could gift it to them (before they break it) as a reward for their help in the mutiny. It could also be a magical submarine as the ship once sunk into the depths, taking the crew with it, only surfacing from the deep as the bottle was broken, and over time the ship gained the ability to travel underwater.

JoeJ
2018-07-30, 03:01 PM
Whichever method(s) you use, I recommend giving the players a heads up to create characters who are qualified to sail a ship. That will also let them know that when they get the ship they should not try to sell it at the nearest port.

DorkyBobster
2018-08-01, 01:04 PM
Whichever method(s) you use, I recommend giving the players a heads up to create characters who are qualified to sail a ship. That will also let them know that when they get the ship they should not try to sell it at the nearest port.

Will do, thanks for reminding me about that :)