PDA

View Full Version : Initiate of the cutting wind (PrC)

Cogwheel
2007-09-12, 02:19 AM
Initiate of the cutting wind

To some, a sword is but a tool, a weapon. To others, it is a decoration to be placed above the mantelpiece. For those who follow the path of the cutting wind, it is everything. The song of steel rushes through their blood, to them, their sword is their soul. In exchange for their extreme dedication, initiates of the cutting wind gain a number of uncanny magical powers relating to swords.

Prerequisites:BAB+6, proficient with atleast three kinds of swords, Weapon focus (any one sword), weapon finesse or power attack.
Weapon and armour proficiencies: The initiate of the cutting wind gains no additional armour proficiencies, but gains proficiency with all swords, including ones that would normally require the exotic weapon proficiency feat.
hp:d8
Class skills: Balance, climb, craft, escape artist, hide, jump, listen, move silently, spot, tumble.
Skill points: 4+int bonus
Attack bonus: full.

hit die:d10

Initiate Of The Cutting Wind
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0| Extraordinary Finesse, Specialization 1

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0| Quicksilver Strike

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Specialization 2, Evasion

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+2| Imbue Sword

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+2| Bladestorm, Specialization 3

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+3| Blade Barrier, Improved Evasion

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+3| Song Of Blood And Steel[/table]

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: The Initiate of the cutting wind gains proficiency with all swords (even exotic weapons) and gains no armour proficiencies.

Specialization: At 1st level, the initiate of the cutting wind chooses one of two specializations, either Mountain's precision or Whirlwind of steel, and will gain a feat at 1st level and every two levels thereafter depending on which they choose. The Initiate need not meet the prerequisites for this feat, and if they already possess the feat, they recieve a fighter bonus feat instead.

Whirlwind of steel: Oversized Two-weapon fighting, Two-weapon Defense, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting

Mountain's precision: Monkey Grip, Weapon Specialization (all swords), Improved Critical (all swords).

Extraordinary finesse: At 1st level, the initiate of the cutting wind gains the ability to use the weapon finesse feat with any one-handed sword, if they so choose.

Evasion: At third level, the initiate’s reflexes improve, granting them evasion (as rogue).

Quicksilver strike: At second level, an initiate of the cutting wind may declare a quicksilver strike at the beginning of a full attack. This grants an additional attack at the initiate’s highest attack bonus, but imposes a -2 penalty on all attacks.

Imbue sword: At 4th level, as a standard action, an initiate of the cutting wind may imbue a sword they are holding with enchantments equivelant to a +3 weapon. (E.G. +1 flaming burst). This lasts as long as they hold the sword, and stacks with similar class features of the soulknife and kensai, but not existing enchantments.

Bladestorm: A 5th level or higher, an initiate of the cutting wind may, instead of a full attack, attack all enemies within sword range at their highest attack bonus. The initiate makes one attack per sword they are holding, and may use their dexterity modifier to attack instead of their strength modifier.

Blade barrier: A 6th level or higher initiate can surround themselves in a whirlwind of sword-strikes, made at superhuman speeds. Any creature attacking the initiate with a melee weapon that doesn't have a reach, an unarmed strike, a natural weapon, or a touch attack, as well as any creature atempting to bull rush or grapple the initiate, takes 6d6 damage (reflex half). The barrier also provides cover. The initiate may activate this ability for up to 10 rounds a day, and these rounds need not be consecutive.

Improved evasion: At 6th level, an initiate of the cutting wind gains improved evasion (as rogue).

Song of blood and steel

At 7th level, an initiate of the cutting wind achieves a state of oneness with the blades they wield, and gain the ability to make additional full attacks when using swords- When making a full attack, the initiate may declare the use of this ability (before to-hit rolls are made), taking a -2 penalty to hit on all attacks made during that round. If this ability is used and all attacks hit, than they may immediately make another full attack at the same attack bonus. This effect repeats until one of the attacks misses.

An initiate of the cutting wind may not use any of these abilities while wearing more than light armour. All abilities but evasion only work with swords.

The definition of swords includes Fullblades, shortswords, longswords, scimitars, rapiers, falchions, greatswords, two-bladed swords and bastard swords. The DM may add additional weapons and even daggers to this list at their discretion.

Finerty
2007-09-12, 02:31 AM
Erm... it's weird that you require limited sword proficiency (which anyone with martial weapon proficiency has: shortsword, longsword, greatsword, done) and then freely grant full weapon proficiency. It seems to me that any class from Complete Warrior could enter this by sixth level.
And once they do enter it, whoa - this class moves way too fast. Those levels are way, way too full - it's like you've folded 7 levels of fighter and 3 crucial levels of rogue, with a bit of swashbuckler and ranger, here and there, into five levels. Stretch it out.

Cogwheel
2007-09-12, 03:42 AM
hm, I'll add weapon focus (any sword) and weapon finesse in there, than, and stretch it across 10 levels.

Spiryt
2007-09-12, 03:56 AM
Hmmm, I don't think it needs stretching, and if so probably to 7 levels, not 10.

Yes, those levels are full, but this is Prestige class - and many PrC are way more powerful than this one.

I will instead add some more prerequisites, this is automaticaly available to any 6th ranger as now.

Cogwheel
2007-09-12, 04:18 AM
Good point, I'll stretch it to 7, than. As I said, I will add a few requirements (scroll up for specifics), but if you have any suggestions, I'll gladly take them.

Spiryt
2007-09-12, 04:35 AM
I like this PrC, it could be great choice for many fighting characters. However I indeed have some suggestions:

- This PrC is potentialy atractive to two weapon fighters, but it doesn't really support them.
Two weapon fighting is not generally worth in 3.5 ed, what you probably know.

In your PrC in fact only Bladestorm ability is compatibile with Two weapon fighting. Quicksilver strike in fact doesn't give you any benefits from TWF, but THF benefits greatly from it.

You should do something to balance both Specializations.

More suggestions latter, I must think aboit it a while.:smallamused:

Cogwheel
2007-09-12, 04:39 AM
Glad you like it, thanks for the help so far:smallsmile:. I fail to see how bladestorm is TWF-compatible right now, but if I make it one attack per weapon, it might be. So, any suggestions for TWF stuff?

Also, TWF is nigh-worthless because it's a feat sink. If you're given the feats for it, it's rather more feasible.

Spiryt
2007-09-12, 04:48 AM
I fail to see how bladestorm is TWF-compatible right now

Well, The initiate makes one attack per sword they are holding.

So it is compatibile.

But when i though about it - Whirlwind of steel doesn't have any sense.
Look:

Ranger is a class who can get 1st level is your class just by going 6 ranger.

But if want to use TWF (probably would want to), he basically is waswting his class ability (On 6th level he already has Imroved TWF). Of course he can go Mountains precision, but then he would have to spend a feat for Greater TWF.

And for no ranger Whirlwind of steel has even less sense. If somebody want improved TWF from it, he will receive it on 9th overall character level, not earlier. So, trough 3 levels, he would be not even able to use his full TWF potential, and would be totally inferior to any Two handed fighter.

Cogwheel
2007-09-12, 05:08 AM
Ah, I thought I put that in bladestorm, I was a little surprised when I didn't see it, must be my eyesight playing tricks on me in my old age...

As for whirlwind of steel, good point. how about I chuck in some more advanced TWF feats instead (greater TWF, two-weapon defense and the improved version thereof, oversized TWF, and the like), and add a clause for both specs that you get a fighter bonus feat instead if you already have that feat?

Spiryt
2007-09-12, 05:58 AM
Well, as for whirlwind of steel do what you wish. Generally any ability that make use of more attacks pr round is TWF friendly.

So, as I said, Mountain's precision is quite TWF friendly, just beacuse of +2 to damage with any attack. It's not worth feat but, when you are getting it for free.

If you decided that those paths must represent :
1) Two weapon fighting
2) Single weapon fighting
You will probably had to reorganize them a bit.

And about other abilities: They're good, but need some work still:

Imbue sword: As long as he holds sword... Can you change it? Cancel? Besides, it would become quickly problematic, since about 9th level it's quite possible that character would have at least one +3 weapon.
Then it would be useful when you had to change weapon enchantments, but it will be little strange if Intitiate could just switch from flame or cold weapon.
Maybe just give him ability to add +3 bonus (only +3, not other things) for some times? (1round/level for example)

And blade barrier need modifications, probably. It's quite powerful spell, on 10th level initaite could just make 200 ft long wall af blades. Is it what you were thinking about?

And steel rain is only ability I don't like. Sorry but it just doesn't fight character of the class, which is fighting PrC after all. That's my opinion.

Cogwheel
2007-09-12, 06:28 AM
True, I hadn't considered how useful the MP spec could be for TWF, good point there.

As for imbue weapon, good point again spiryt, I guess it'll be 1 round/level of +3, as you suggested, or possibly +2 keen.

Blade barrier... remove scaling, I guess, and set it at "as a sorcerer of x level". Also, you're forgetting that it's battlefield control used by a melee character, so its uses are limited at best.

Steel rain... good point, somewhat cartoon-y, too. here's a replacement..

Song of blood and steel

At 7th level, an initiate of the cutting wind achieves a state of oneness with the blades they wield, and gain the ability to make additional full attacks when using swords- When making a full attack, the initiate may declare the use of this ability (before to-hit rolls are made). If this ability is used and all attacks hit, than they may immediately make another full attack at the same attack bonus. This effect repeats until one of the attacks misses.

Also, what would you suggest for the two specs? I'd like to keep it to bonus feats, but you said they would need serious reorganizing, so I need to know what you mean. Are you saying I need to change the system entirely?

Oh, and thanks for all the help:smallsmile:. If you can spare the time, could you do me a big favour and look over the mordainian fleshweaver PrC and shaman class on these boards? Thanks again.

Spiryt
2007-09-12, 06:56 AM
Blade barrier... remove scaling, I guess, and set it at "as a sorcerer of x level". Also, you're forgetting that it's battlefield control used by a melee character, so its uses are limited at best.

Well, isn't it still little strange that master of the sword can place barrier from purely magical blades anywhere?
My proposition is to make barrier surround Initiate. When somebody would attack him, well, Initiate has now cover. And if somebody would want to touch him (to grapple, bull rush or trip for example) - well, he would cross the barrier and suffer damage.
It can be even described as furious and unhumanly fast defensive stance of Initiate.

Also, what would you suggest for the two specs? I'd like to keep it to bonus feats, but you said they would need serious reorganizing, so I need to know what you mean. Are you saying I need to change the system entirely?

Well, by "reorganizing" I just meant that if you want one TWF path, and one "other" path, you should just make sure that both are balanced, and that TWF path is indeed useful for TWF. That's all

Of course situation when "other" path is also good for TWF is not bad.
Contrary, it's only more interesting to play, when you can have two different, yet strong characters.

As for feats - use your books, net or even come up with your own. That's homebrew after all:smallbiggrin: .

Cogwheel
2007-09-12, 07:01 AM
Well, it still little strange that master of the sword can place barrier from purely magical blades anywhere?
My proposition is to make barrier surround Initiate. When somebody would attack him, well, Initiate has now cover. And if somebody would want to touch him (to grapple, bull rush or trip for example) - well, he would cross the barrier and suffer damage.
It can be even described as furious and unhumanly fast defensive stance of Initiate.

You, sir, are a genius. That's stolen, with full credit. Resistance Is Futile.

Well, by "reorganizing" I just meant that if you want one TWF path, and one "other" path, you should just make sure that both are balanced, and that TWF path is indeed useful for TWF. That's all

Of course situation when "other" path is also good for TWF is not bad.
Contrary, it's only more interesting to play, when you can have two different, yet strong characters.

Ah, okay, thanks for clearing that up. I'm quite busy now, what with it being the Jewish New Year and all, but I'll see what I can do:smallsmile: .

As for feats - use your books, net or even come up with your own. That's homebrew after all:smallbiggrin: .

I've never been good with feats.. Still, I think my limited array of books (especially complete warrior) will get the job done well enough:smallsmile: .

Also, what do you think about the song of blood and steel?

Spiryt
2007-09-12, 07:24 AM
You, sir, are a genius.

I know. :smallbiggrin:

That's stolen, with full credit. Resistance Is Futile.

That's okay as long as I can steal whole your PrC for the games I'm GMing :smallamused:

One of my players would certainly use it.

Also, what do you think about the song of blood and steel?

Well, it should be carefully worded, but sounds okay. Maybe it should have some (small? big?) minuses (why declare it when it has no disadvantages ?) It seems spectacular, such insane chain of attacks, but quite cumbersome to roll such amount of checks.
And you should be careful:
If somebody can gain some insane attack bonus (even at the cost of everything else), and/or some ways to reroll natural 1 (there are some ways to do it if I recall well) then you know:
Infinite attacks. Without any power attack (for max attack bonus), but who cares?

Cogwheel
2007-09-12, 07:38 PM
hey, if I didn't want it to be used, I wouldn't be putting it here, would I?

Also, fixed, it's now ready for play.

Finally, yes, I know you can break it, but I design my classes on the assumption that they won't come into contact with munchkins from hell.

Cogwheel
2007-09-13, 02:01 AM
Tidied up the table - it's now well and truly ready for play. So, what do you think? Also, if Spiryt or anyone else here uses this, could you let me know as to how it went? Thanks.

Spiryt
2007-09-14, 05:21 AM
Well, what I can think about:

- Monkey Grip, is always (ok if not used in complete cheesy builds) utter crap. Both mechanically and from RPG point of view too. (super fast Swordman with giantic sword?)
- Imbue sword is still rather not good.

What this PrC really needs however is just some other playgrounder to tell something about it. At the moment we in fact are having dialogue...

Cogwheel
2007-09-14, 05:34 AM
Sadly, yeah, that seems to be the case.

What do you suggest that I do with imbue sword? Scrap it altogether? Add a permanent +3 bonus while they are holding it? What?

As for monkey grip, what would you suggest instead? Some form of improved power attack, ALA frenzied berserker, turned into a class feature and tossed in among the feats?

Also, monkey grip goes for the spec that deals with one big sword, not two smaller ones.

Spiryt
2007-09-14, 06:12 AM
What do you suggest that I do with imbue sword? Scrap it altogether? Add a permanent +3 bonus while they are holding it? What?

I can suggest something like

Blade Thirst - Transmutation
Slashing weapon glows and gains +3 bonus.
Just + 3 to any sword, stacking with everything else, with limited usage/time per day should be okay (good for TWF too). Although I don't know if it fits your conception

Also, monkey grip goes for the spec that deals with one big sword, not two smaller ones.

Yes, but greatsword is already big blade, with monkey grip swordman will end up with something idiotic like Cloud from Final F.

Besides, MG is really weak mechanically.

I don't have good idea what instead, maybe someone else will. But Improved disarm or sunder is always not bad.

Cogwheel
2007-09-14, 06:18 AM
Yes, sunder, that's it! Thank'ee, sir.

Also, the new imbue sword works, and I love the new name. Finally, MG isn't silly by itself, most of the time. MG paired with Throw Anything, however, is.:smallbiggrin:

...Especially where insectile Xills with 12 large-sized fullblades are concerned.:smalltongue:

You know what? I have to do that some time. Forget Throw Anything, grab whirlwind of steel, and song of blood and steel...yes, I definitely have to do this, even if it kills me (most DMs probably would):smallbiggrin:.

Spiryt
2007-09-14, 06:38 AM
P.S. I probably showed it not very well -

Blade thirst is just rangers spell from Spell Compedium. What I quoted is just free "demo version" of the spell from some site. Without details but, I wanted to show general idea.

jjpickar
2007-09-14, 01:01 PM
Has anyone else been inspired to make an Initiate of Breaking Wind?:smalltongue:

DracoDei
2007-09-14, 04:22 PM
Has anyone else been inspired to make an Initiate of Breaking Wind?:smalltongue:

The thought HAD occurred to me...

Cogwheel
2007-09-14, 09:05 PM
What, with bludgeoning weapons? hm, maybe... any ideas?

Edea
2007-09-14, 09:31 PM
Nah, an Initiate of the breaking wind would be a spellcaster specializing in Conjuration (Creation) spells (y'know, obscuring mist, solid fog, cloudkill, incendiary cloud...). An example class ability at 1st level would be that, since now he can make them come out of his rear end, all spells he casts from the Conjuration (Creation) school no longer require somatic components.

Cogwheel
2007-09-14, 11:58 PM
Er... okay, sorry, I was unfamiliar with that term. Oh well..

Edea
2007-09-15, 12:29 AM
:smalleek: Oo, dear, awkward...

vivi
2007-09-15, 09:56 AM
lol!:smalltongue: oh and good class

Cogwheel
2007-09-15, 10:05 AM
lol!:smalltongue: oh and good class

Thank'ee. With an adjustment in names and such, it can be adapted with almost no work for axes and other slashing weapons.

No, you're not allowed to make a spiked chain based equivelant and call it the Initiate of the Munchkining Wind.:smalltongue: