PDA

View Full Version : Dwelf?

Chalkarts
2018-07-29, 10:38 PM
Are there any rules for mixing races without humans? The child of a dwarf and elf, or an Orc and Tiefling?
Are there any RAW for this?

Spectrulus
2018-07-29, 10:47 PM
Nothing RAW, but of course homebrew. In D&D, usually only humans are able to breed with anything for some reason.

Malifice
2018-07-29, 11:02 PM
There was a Dwarf+Orc hybrid.

From memory, they were quite studious, and socially withdrawn. Bonus to Int, and a heavy penalty to Charisma.

I believe they were called a 'Dork'.

Finback
2018-07-30, 02:59 AM
I did see an amazing 4e race, part troll, part dwarf. They had partial regen, Con boosts, etc. but the best thing was the sense of.. misery. These were beings who would be hated by either side of their lineage, and possibly of their own kind, because who wants to be reminded of the monstrosity they are?

For your own use, I'd say a dwelf would get a +1 to Con, +1 to Wis, and a +1 to either Dex or Cha. When it comes time for feats though, if they pick a racial feat? Locked in. They favour that ancestry more than the other, so they cannot "stack" racial feats.

Unoriginal
2018-07-30, 04:27 AM
Are there any rules for mixing races without humans? The child of a dwarf and elf, or an Orc and Tiefling?

The Xanathar's, PHB and MM mentions a few things about that.

Elves and Dwarves are likely incompatible, while the child of an Orc and a Tiefling is either going to be an Orc or an Half-Orc (whose family line may give birth to a Tiefling later down the line)

That being said, the DM decides what happens for their setting.

Vessyra
2018-07-30, 04:37 AM
I imagine that dwarves and elves are incompatible. However, I do vaguely remember hearing about an old edition that had a dwelt in some sourcebook. Basically, they combined the worst of both worlds; short, thin, frail, obnoxious, racist, smelly, and they had none of the good parts of either race (they weren't dexterous or hardy).

Of course, given that this would be unplayable, you should go with the above comments for race-building.

Arkhios
2018-07-30, 04:53 AM
There was a Dwarf+Orc hybrid.

From memory, they were quite studious, and socially withdrawn. Bonus to Int, and a heavy penalty to Charisma.

I believe they were called a 'Dork'.

Jokes aside, one player in the group where I was a player too had (technically still has, we just haven't had time to play together for a long time) a druid who was born to an orc and a dwarf.

Statwise the character is a half-orc, so the mixed origins are purely superficial for him.

Pelle
2018-07-30, 05:58 AM
Are there any rules for mixing races without humans? The child of a dwarf and elf

That's a gnome...

Arkhios
2018-07-30, 06:56 AM
That's a gnome...

Pfft. more likely a halfling. Lean as an elf, but a dwarf's appetite. :smallbiggrin:

Malifice
2018-07-30, 08:42 AM
Jokes aside, one player in the group where I was a player too had (technically still has, we just haven't had time to play together for a long time) a druid who was born to an orc and a dwarf.

Statwise the character is a half-orc, so the mixed origins are purely superficial for him.

Yeah that would fly in my games too.

Genetics doesn't bother me at all (we're talking different species here in any event).

If a Dragon can mate with and produce offspring with a Beholder or a Mind Flayer or even a Goat (and I have seen half dragon versions of all three) then its down to 'magic'.

Also; how exactly does a Dragon + Beholder coupling go down?

Im imagining a Dragon walking down a hallway and spotting a rather comely Beholder in a room on its own. A wink and a charming smile later ('Have I ever told you, you have beautiful eyes...'), and things start to get interesting... fade to black.

Is there anything those horny dragons wont go near?

Willie the Duck
2018-07-30, 08:58 AM
Is there anything those horny dragons wont go near?

I do recall (although it might have been satire, and I don't recall if it was in a WotC product or elsewhere) a half-dragon gelatinous cube.

Naanomi
2018-07-30, 09:05 AM
Whether or not races can mate successfully mostly has to do with if the their creator races are ok with i; though magic can be used to overcome some problems (Dwarf/Human Mul on Athas for example).

The three races with the most crossbreeds: IO of the dragons is ok with any coupling and is one of the first, most powerful Gods... so his opinion on the matter holds a lot of sway. Humans have no creator Gods and so no one to say ‘no’ (as a note: at least three exclusive cannon explinations about humans and their lack of a creator God). Gruumsh considers all his offspring orcs regardless of other race’s genetics in the mix, so forbids nothing; but other Gods often veto the idea on their end

Malifice
2018-07-30, 09:10 AM
I do recall (although it might have been satire, and I don't recall if it was in a WotC product or elsewhere) a half-dragon gelatinous cube.

I hope it was a half black dragon for the acid resistance for the poor dragon....

ImproperJustice
2018-07-30, 11:39 AM
There was some D&D novel I remember from a long time ago that had a Dwarven Half-Elf. He was a ranger and spent an abnormal amount of time above ground for a Dwarf and had a mich shorter beard.
In his case, his Dwarven nature overwrote his elven side, but cosmetically and psychologically he favored the Elf side of things.

I can’t remember the name of the book, but I know it involved crash landing sci-fi humans being perused by the equivalent of Skynet and the two groups (fantasy heroes and space survivors) banded together to fight the enemy.

My other favorite character was one of the survivorship who becane a Cleric by arming himself with the policy and procedure manual of their spacecraft as his source of divine power.

Ganymede
2018-07-30, 12:45 PM

There are no rules that specifically detail mechanical benefits of those couplings, but the PHB does explain that players are in control of the appearance and personality of their PCs.

You could certainly represent a half-dwarf-half-elf by using the half elf rules, adding in some dwarven features and mannerisms, and maybe assigning those race based skills and stats to things like constitution, wisdom, history, etc.

Likewise, a half orc-tiefling coupling could be represent either as a half orc with some minor infernal features or a tiefling with the look of a half orc. Specifically, I could imagine such a tiefling looking slightly like a tannaruk.

Edit: Sorry, I'm stealing the Tannaruk Tiefling idea for myself.

bobofwestgate
2018-07-30, 01:25 PM
Somebodies been reading too much LOTR fan-fic

CharonsHelper
2018-07-30, 01:30 PM

Well - I think that they've mentioned that some half-dragons are the result of rituals etc. So - it was probably just a case of "a wizard did it".

Willie the Duck
2018-07-30, 01:38 PM
Well - I think that they've mentioned that some half-dragons are the result of rituals etc. So - it was probably just a case of "a wizard did it".

My bet was that it was a tongue-in-cheek take-down on the fact that 3e half-dragon template worked with "any corporeal living creature," but since I have no idea where it came from (and google just leads to more forum discussions on gelatinous cubes, etc.), it'll be hard to find out.

There are lots of hybrid (or the like) that aren't explicitly caused by mating. Owlbears, Thouls (which definitely need a comeback), the early gnolls which were gnome-troll hybrid, those all were implied to be more magical or mad science than last call hookups.

the secret fire
2018-07-30, 01:48 PM
I don't imagine a female elf would survive giving birth to a half-dwarf, so the only way I could see it happening is for a male elf to impregnate a female dwarf. This seems like a pairing that, for mainly cultural reasons (in most settings, at least), might occur once in a thousand years (assuming it is genetically possible).

What would a dwelf look like? Elves and Dwarves are in some ways on opposite ends of the humanoid aesthetic spectrum, with humans being in the middle. Would a dwelf look like a human? Heh...maybe that's where those stupid humans came from!

Chalkarts
2018-07-30, 01:59 PM
Somebodies been reading too much LOTR fan-fic

I was watching the Hobbit trilogy yesterday and the Kili and his elf maiden made me wonder.

Naanomi
2018-07-30, 02:22 PM
I don't imagine a female elf would survive giving birth to a half-dwarf, so the only way I could see it happening is for a male elf to impregnate a female dwarf. This seems like a pairing that, for mainly cultural reasons (in most settings, at least), might occur once in a thousand years (assuming it is genetically possible).

What would a dwelf look like? Elves and Dwarves are in some ways on opposite ends of the humanoid aesthetic spectrum, with humans being in the middle. Would a dwelf look like a human? Heh...maybe that's where those stupid humans came from!
Muls generally kill the mother being born, so likely true...

And that is not one of the classic ‘three possible origins of humans’ :smallwink:

2D8HP
2018-07-30, 02:28 PM

Switch it to an Elf and a "Troll" that's more like a D&D Orc and you have the start of 1954's The Broken Sword (https://www.theguardian.com/books/2003/jan/25/featuresreviews.guardianreview18) by Poul Anderson.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-30, 03:32 PM

There is no RAW for this and I doubt there ever will be. Just like we'll never know by RAW if female Dragonborn have breasts.

Still there is content that can influence what DMs decide for their games spread throughout the 5e books.

Finback
2018-07-30, 09:21 PM
I don't imagine a female elf would survive giving birth to a half-dwarf,

if only they'd let go of the pick axe.

Malifice
2018-07-31, 09:08 AM
My bet was that it was a tongue-in-cheek take-down on the fact that 3e half-dragon template worked with "any corporeal living creature," but since I have no idea where it came from (and google just leads to more forum discussions on gelatinous cubes, etc.), it'll be hard to find out.

There are lots of hybrid (or the like) that aren't explicitly caused by mating. Owlbears, Thouls (which definitely need a comeback), the early gnolls which were gnome-troll hybrid, those all were implied to be more magical or mad science than last call hookups.

Kudos on the Thoul.

I dont recall seeing them since BECMI.

NRSASD
2018-07-31, 09:37 AM
I did have a dwome in my campaign once. The combination of a gnome's ingenuity and ridiculous sense of humor crossed with a dwarf's sense of tradition and general straitlaced behavior did not mix well. Such an ill-advised pairing resulted in a psychopath perpetually on the brink of a berserker frenzy, as her very nature was at war with itself.

Bobby Joe the Dwome Battlerager never said an intelligible word, just snarled, roared, and visibly vibrated with fury (causing her spike-and-gear studded platemail to rattle constantly). She preferred punching and headbutting her way through her opponents, though she especially enjoyed giant opponents so she could dig around inside them. Our elf barbarian installed handles in the back of her armor so she could be thrown as a projectile, or in at least 2 cases, as a grappling hook.

She is definitely one of our most beloved characters.

Imriel
2018-07-31, 09:40 AM
Are you trying to RP the abomination that would spawn from Kili and Tauriel? 😂😂😂

KorvinStarmast
2018-07-31, 09:52 AM
There was a Dwarf+Orc hybrid. From memory, they were quite studious, and socially withdrawn. Bonus to Int, and a heavy penalty to Charisma. I believe they were called a 'Dork'. *Golf clap* Haven't heard that one in years. :smallcool:

Also; how exactly does a Dragon + Beholder coupling go down?
I expect that someone over at DeviantArt has drawn such a scene ....

Is there anything those horny dragons wont go near? No. Dragons seem to have the libidinous restraint along the lines of sailors who arrive in port after months at sea.
Somebodies been reading too much LOTR fan-fic Or a badly constructed film loosely based on a Tolkien book ...

so the only way I could see it happening is for a male elf to impregnate a female dwarf. How many barrels of wine would this take?

What would a dwelf look like? Elves and Dwarves are in some ways on opposite ends of the humanoid aesthetic spectrum, with humans being in the middle. Would a dwelf look like a human? Heh...maybe that's where those stupid humans came from! The dirty little secret that neither elves nor dwarves will discuss. All you get out of them is "Don't want to talk about it." :smallmad:

I was watching the Hobbit trilogy yesterday and the Kili and his elf maiden made me wonder. "Maiden" is a debatable assumption.

Naanomi
2018-07-31, 09:54 AM
Ogrillon and (originally) Orogs as well; my very first PC Death was to an Ogrillon

KorvinStarmast
2018-07-31, 10:05 AM
Ogrillon and (originally) Orogs as well; my very first PC Death was to an Ogrillon

In our tier three game, we freed some Orogs and Orcs from servitude: since my character spoke Orc, he was able to negotiate with them, and convinced the Orogs to lead the Orcs on a pilgrimage back to their homelands.

Willie the Duck
2018-07-31, 10:21 AM
Kudos on the Thoul.

I dont recall seeing them since BECMI.

Same with the Dork, although you have the backstory wrong. A Dork (http://thoulsparadise.blogspot.com/2018/07/comic-book-creatures-planet-comics.html)is clearly a huggable, vampire fanged, Neptunian dragonoid, not a dwarf-orc-hybrid.

Anonymouswizard
2018-07-31, 11:04 AM
Nothing RAW, but of course homebrew. In D&D, usually only humans are able to breed with anything for some reason.

This is one of the few things I like about Fantasy AGE over 5e, hybrids are easy to create (pick the parent you take after the most, you use that as your base race stats and gain one benefit roll from it, but you get one benefit roll from your other parent's race). Orc/Gnome? Done. Orean(Warforged)/Elf? Just as easy. Yeah, the robot race isn't specifically given an exemption from the rules, which is actually really nice. There's even a generic half-race that's just begging to be combined with one of the other races to make half-dwarf/half-seducer demons.

5e could have done something similar, but not every race has subraces and those that do don't have ones of equal size.

I don't know, I once played a game where dwarves were officially sexier than elves. The system had a Sex Appeal skill, based off of the Health stat, which dwarves got a large bonus to, and elves had so many advantages that there weren't any points left to give them good looks. The end result was that due to cross-racial modifiers elves were considered a bit thin to be truly attractive, while the average human found humans and dwarves equally appealing.

Personification
2018-07-31, 11:32 PM
I did have a dwome in my campaign once. The combination of a gnome's ingenuity and ridiculous sense of humor crossed with a dwarf's sense of tradition and general straitlaced behavior did not mix well. Such an ill-advised pairing resulted in a psychopath perpetually on the brink of a berserker frenzy, as her very nature was at war with itself.

Bobby Joe the Dwome Battlerager never said an intelligible word, just snarled, roared, and visibly vibrated with fury (causing her spike-and-gear studded platemail to rattle constantly). She preferred punching and headbutting her way through her opponents, though she especially enjoyed giant opponents so she could dig around inside them. Our elf barbarian installed handles in the back of her armor so she could be thrown as a projectile, or in at least 2 cases, as a grappling hook.

She is definitely one of our most beloved characters.

Nac Mac Feegle Wha Hae! I am almost at the end of the series :(

Chalkarts
2018-08-01, 09:19 AM
Are you trying to RP the abomination that would spawn from Kili and Tauriel? 😂😂😂

Lol, I was just curious if such an abomination were possible.

Personification
2018-08-01, 11:51 AM
Lol, I was just curious if such an abomination were possible.

I assume that the abomination you are talking about is a three part overly-serious movie adaptation of a relatively short children's book which contains, among other abominable elements, an interspecies romance that fits nowhere in the culture or worldbuilding of the original story between a supporting character and a character who canonically never existed, for almost no reason other than padding runtime, adding arbitrary romance (because honestly, that's what every fantasy geek goes to the movies for), and facilitating the illogical appearance of Legolas in a story in which he took no part. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Naanomi
2018-08-01, 02:30 PM
HackMaster has (depending on the edition) gnomelings... gnome/halfling crossbreed... and half-hobgoblins