PDA

View Full Version : My alcoholic

Teaguethebean
2018-07-29, 11:52 PM
I am making a character that got black out drunk and woke up being told to continue his quest. He doesn't know what this quest is and is to worried to ask. Oh he also woke up with wild magic. Any ideas on his race though I can't decide

AureusFulgens
2018-07-29, 11:58 PM
I am making a character that got black out drunk and woke up being told to continue his quest. He doesn't know what this quest is and is to worried to ask. Oh he also woke up with wild magic. Any ideas on his race though I can't decide

This sounds like it could be fun, if your DM is on board with it (do you know how you'll be tying it into whatever quest he has planned, and how you're going to work it with the other players?)

If he's a Wild Magic Sorcerer, the classic is a half-elf. I have a personal fondness for drow sorcerers if you don't mind the sunlight sensitivity (though I suppose if your character is an alcoholic, he probably has that most mornings anyway). I don't know as much about the non-PHB races, except that genasi are fun, but I don't know if you can get that sweet, sweet Charisma bonus from them (do fire genasi boost Int or Cha?).

Teaguethebean
2018-07-30, 12:13 AM
Fire genii boost int, but yeah perhaps half-elf. My plan for his quest is it is probably nothing big but he doesn't know what it is so he goes on the main world saving quest only to learn his quest was something like get the lord a bear pelt or something

Falcon X
2018-07-30, 12:37 AM
Have it be a changeling from Unearthed Arcana.
He also has multiple personalities.
Every time his wild surge hits, he changes personalities as well as his look for a while.
Come up with a list of 8 personalities and roll a d8 every time a wild surge happens.

Tiefling - he doesn’t remember what he did when he was drunk, but it earned him some horns and a tail. This is awkward...

Variant Human - start with Drunken Master feat and a story of a glorious drunken tavern brawl.

Desteplo
2018-07-30, 12:46 AM
My take is always teifling. Instead of infernal... why not abyssal? Chaos is perfect for wild mage.

Also human... but what if he woke up as a teifling.

JackPhoenix
2018-07-30, 04:40 PM
My take is always teifling. Instead of infernal... why not abyssal? Chaos is perfect for wild mage.

Also human... but what if he woke up as a teifling.

There are no abyssal tieflings.

PhantomSoul
2018-07-30, 04:46 PM

One pops up in an old UA (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf)

MagneticKitty
2018-07-30, 04:54 PM
Have it be a changeling from Unearthed Arcana.
He also has multiple personalities.
Every time his wild surge hits, he changes personalities as well as his look for a while.
Come up with a list of 8 personalities and roll a d8 every time a wild surge happens.

I like this. You could also go with eladrin fey elves that change seasons (appearance) and outlook on life (tie it to wild magic surge)
There's a season that likes things in excess I forget which. But that could be when he's an alcoholic.

JackPhoenix
2018-07-30, 04:55 PM
One pops up in an old UA (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf)

MToF and XGtE before that made abyssal tieflings not a thing.

Bahamut7
2018-07-30, 07:09 PM

This sounds like a fun character, so lets not worry about min maxing...Gnome. Go Gnome.

MrWesson22
2018-07-31, 12:30 PM
Warforged. Played like Bender from Futurama.

Desteplo
2018-07-31, 04:31 PM

Even without UA I just meant thematically speaking.

randomodo
2018-07-31, 05:51 PM
I miss planescape Abyssal tieflings