PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Rerolling up a new character and want to play a Paladin, which subclass works best?

Eshfyre
2018-07-30, 02:54 AM
Hello, recently in my weekly D&D game my Battlemaster Fighter met their end after being cursed by a magical axe (long story). Our campaign currently level 5, I want to roll up a Paladin to cover the fact that soon all four of my other players will be playing:

* A GOO Warlock
* A Thuegy Wizard
* A Monster Slayer Ranger (Xbow user)
* A Fighter Gunslinger (from Matt Mecer's game)

Ranggggged characters!

I want to play a Paladin mostly for the sweet, sweet persuasion checks. The high HP, AC, and Lay on Hands are icing on the cake. Thus, I arrive at a crossroads. I've heard great things about Ancients and Conquest Paladins (and am leaning to the latter). I like the lockdown and control, but worry my abilities will be useless if my DM turns up the Fear Immunity a notch. I like the flavor of Ancients (just being a good person is underrated) and the option is muticlass into a Sorcadin is very appealing (but maybe unnecessary).

What subclass will help prevent me these glass cannons from getting iced?

Magzimum
2018-07-30, 03:07 AM
At lower levels, I like Compelled Duel to protect the glass cannon(s). It is a bonus action, and essentially draws one monster to you and away from one glass cannon, or gives the monster disadvantage on an attack roll against the glass cannon.

My information says this is a Crown Paladin spell, but maybe your DM can rule that it is available to all paladins since Crown is not in the regular PHB.

Corran
2018-07-30, 04:37 AM
In an ideal scenario, the rest of your party brings in the damage and the very very necessary battlefield control which in this party setup is extremelly important, and that allows you to focus exclusively on your character's durability (AC, HP, saves). If your allies don't plan for controlling the field, you need to do that too, but even in that case, durability is the primary focus for your character (AC, HP, saves, maybe even damage reduction if you can find a way to include it in your features). Cause an unconscious frontliner can exert no control over the battlefield after all. And since you are lacking a healer who could boost you, and who in this set up would be very important (since if the only frontliner drops, the party is in grave danger), your primary focus should be in character durability. But make sure to tell your mates that they should focus on ways to control the battlefield. So, bottom line, character durability is your main concern, and controlling the field is a good secondary focus for your character.

So, that locks some choices for you. Such as, picking defense for your fighting style and choosing S&B for your weapon setup. Shield of faith and protection from evil become instantly golden for your character (well, protection from evil is still situational, but when it applies you use it without any second thoughts). Maybe even the HAM feat, which I personally don't like at all, though I admit that in this party setup it could be a very good fit for your character.

As for oath, you look at the channel divinities. As above, you need a channel divinity that boosts your durability first, your control potential second. So oathbreaker (if allowed) and conquest are very good (due to the disadvantage they impose on the enemies you manage to frighten), and then comes crown (due to how it allows you to exact control that will relieve a lot of pressure from your backline, which essentially means the rest of your party in that case). If your allies make the mistake not to focus on controlling the battlefield, then crown becomes the best choice for you undoubtably, as the lockdown potential is sronger in your case, since it does not count on frightening enemies and since the 30' radius is not softer as you have no skirmishers, so all your allies can easily stay out of it. But crown CD does not impose disadvantage or any other kind of debuff on your enemies, like dreadful aspect or conquering presence, so it does not help with durability.

If you want to play a sorcadin, start as paladin for the armor and the wis save proficiency (remember, a disabled tank because of a failed wis save is a disaster for your set up), then up to paladin 4 for warcaster, then take 3 sorcerer levels for BB, GFB, shield, absorb elements and blur, then back to paladin until at least level 6 for extra attack and aura of protection (as you need the additional boost in saves and concentration). Then take one level in warlock (assuming your didn't pick conquest for your oath, if so you can forgo taking that warlock level), for extra castings of shield and for armor of agathys, which you will use with your higher level slots.

ps: Until or if you don't have a way to give your enemies disadvantage (dreadful aspect, conquering presence, wrathful smite, blur, etc), you should probably take the dodge action more often than not.

ReaperChaos
2018-07-30, 05:37 AM
Corran makes a very good point.

All I would like to add is that should you encounter fear immune enemies as a Conquest Paladin (and the chance for that is not low), you are still a Paladin. You still have spells and abilities which will help against a plethora of foes. So should you lean towards Oath of Conquest thematically, do not be disheartened about the potential of fear immune enemies.

jaappleton
2018-07-30, 09:32 AM
With so many Ranged characters, I’m actually of the opinion that Paladin is a poor class to choose for this scenario.

Nobody will get the +Cha bonus to Saving Throws at level 6, they’ll all be too far away.

And Lay on Hands is Touch. You don’t get Healing Word, and Cure Wounds is also Touch, IIRC. Meaning that any in combat healing requires you to run over to them (taking an Opportunity Attack), Healing them, and then running back into the fray. Even if Cure Wounds isn’t Touch, both CW and Lay on Hands are full Actions to do.

In the words of Tony Stark from the first Avengers film, “Not a great plan.”

It’s for this reason I’m going to heavily recommend Cleric. Ok, you don’t get a second attack. You still get high AC, superior healing, the ability to wreck enemies with the amazing spell Spirit Guardians, their channel divinities (Twice per short rest starting at level 6!), etc. And using Spiritual Weapon for a bonus action attack let’s you be pretty competitive in damage for single targets. Even if you don’t use a physical weapon and go for Cantrips, between Spirit Guardians and casting Word of Radiance as a 5th Level Cleric, you’re averaging 21 damage to all enemies around you. You’re a blender of divine death.