PDA

View Full Version : Speaking in pictograms?

SangoProduction
2018-07-30, 03:26 AM
So, I've got an illusionist who only speaks using GIFs, per the Illusion Sphere's Trick. But just to ensure that I can occasionally speak as I please, I want to confirm something. (That way it is a challenge, but not a hindrance.)

Bluff allows you to convey "secret messages". Would this be sufficient to have a conversation, when it is fluffed as sending picturings?

If not, is there another method that doesn't involve speech-like character actions, including ghost sound and telepathy?

Arael666
2018-07-30, 08:20 AM
Your way of speech is very similar to the way the Dabus speak (Expedition to the demomweb pits), to understand a Dabus a wisdom check is required, the DC's range from 10 (understand simple words) to 25 (understand complex conversations about abstract topics, such as magic, politics, religion, etc).

Since you're using gifs and not still images (an improvement from the dabus language), has the posibility of ajusting your "video" to whatever you want at real time (another improvement) and actually want to be understood (the dabus don't care if you're understanding them or not), it would be entirely reasonable to just assume you're capable of expressing yourself and even holding simple conversations with anyone who does't have a wis/int penalty.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-30, 08:26 AM
The bluff (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/bluff)skill check to convey secret messages states that "If you are successful, the target automatically understands you, assuming you are speaking in a language that it understands." So the real question for your DM is whether these pictograms constitute a language the recipient understands.

Another consideration to keep in mind is that the Illusion Sphere tricks take up a Standard Action, whereas speech is a free action. So you are already handicapped by needing to use your standard actions to communicate in this way.

As a DM I would be inclined to allow this. Body language, pictograms, and other forms of non-verbal communication have been held to be nearly universal throughout history, with lots of cross-cultural communication hinging upon being able to use such forms until a language barrier could be bridged. In fact, one of my favorite pieces of trivia from Chinese history is that numerous languages like Cantonese and Mandarin used the same pictograph-based written language, so people would not be able to speak to each other if they didn't share a language, but they could write their words and the others would understand. This was due to the fact that they didn't have a phonetic alphabet, but rather a pictoral language.

I would also be moved by the fact that you are giving up free action communication. This would to me be a sufficient handicap on its own.

Manyasone
2018-07-30, 10:28 AM
Point of order. Dabus are actually second edition Planescape. Caretakers of Sigil and the Lady's hands so to speak, or not, in their case

KillianHawkeye
2018-07-31, 10:31 AM
Point of order. Dabus are actually second edition Planescape. Caretakers of Sigil and the Lady's hands so to speak, or not, in their case

Sort of a pointless point, though.

This is the 3e/3.5 subforum, and if the Dabus appeared in a 3.x adventure, then that's the most relevant information here. Besides, their origin or purpose really has nothing to do with trying to understand them.

Thurbane
2018-07-31, 03:36 PM
http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/demonweb_gallery/103917.jpg

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/demonweb_gallery/103918.jpg

Psyren
2018-08-01, 01:00 AM
If not, is there another method that doesn't involve speech-like character actions, including ghost sound and telepathy?

Sign language? Write it down? Point at a menu?

KillianHawkeye
2018-08-01, 08:15 PM
One time I played a character that was functionally mute who communicated mostly through pantomime, although she had a slate board and some chalk for more detailed conversing.