PDA

View Full Version : Strawpoll: Adventure League Season 8 Treasure and Loot Rules

TheUser
2018-07-30, 06:28 AM
For those of you not in the know:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/changes-dd-adventurers-league-rewards

Essentially your Adventure League character gets 0 monetary and treasure rewards related to the adventure and instead gets a fixed gold and "treasure point" value for # of hours spent playing, unlocking purchase of items with the adventure's typical rewards.

I'm curious how many people will even think to continue Adventure League with the tentative modifications they have put out if they remain unchanged.

https://www.strawpoll.me/16176603

I think the only way we as a community could force any type of change is to use raw numbers to show how much it will affect the turnout at AL events (and hence sales of WotC products) with the proposed changes.

Darkbru
2018-07-30, 07:09 AM
Would love to have every AL player take this poll. If all remains as they say it will, I will likely abstain from AL and just focus on the home game I play.

TheUser
2018-07-30, 10:35 AM
My favourite quote from another forum:

DM: Your party is going through a dungeon and stumbles upon a chest, what do you do?

Party: Nothing. We move on.

DM: Nothing? Why?

Party: Risk vs. Reward. Why should we risk the chest being trapped and hurting/killing us when we don't get to keep any of the gold/gems/magic item that may be in there? To that point; we cautiously exit the dungeon the way we came in. Go back to the inn. Get some food & drink while we sit and discuss different plans to achieve our objective (that way, we are technically "pursuing the adventure’s stated goals).

DM: ....

PhantomSoul
2018-07-30, 11:07 AM
My favourite quote from another forum:

DM: Your party is going through a dungeon and stumbles upon a chest, what do you do?

Party: Nothing. We move on.

DM: Nothing? Why?

Party: Risk vs. Reward. Why should we risk the chest being trapped and hurting/killing us when we don't get to keep any of the gold/gems/magic item that may be in there? To that point; we cautiously exit the dungeon the way we came in. Go back to the inn. Get some food & drink while we sit and discuss different plans to achieve our objective (that way, we are technically "pursuing the adventure’s stated goals).

DM: ....

DM: You dumped INT, but honestly, even an INT of 3 is enough to justify that.

RickAsWritten
2018-07-30, 11:17 AM
The poll options should be a little more in depth. Something like:

A. I have played AL, and will continue to do so with the new rules.
B. I have played AL, but will no longer participate after the rule change.
C. I have not played AL, but will try it after these rule changes.
D. I have not played AL, and will continue not playing AL.

Maybe an E. that reads something like:
E. I have played AL, and will give the rules a try, but I do not feel that they improve the game at all.

I would be an E but leaning towards a B under those options.

PeteNutButter
2018-07-30, 11:18 AM
So everyone gets the same amount of loot and experience no matter how hard they work or what they do. It’s a good thing I can’t talk politics on these forums...

In all honesty the rules are lame from both a fun a balance perspective. The community has already shown a ton of ways to exploit the systems they put out, such as junk trading. Buy bags of holding and trade them for +1 weapons etc.

In theory if you played at a 5 player table in the old system you’d get a magic item roughly every 5 sessions. The new system has the average item cost at about 10 TP so it seems about the same. But in practice you’d end up with more items in the old system due to mods having more than 1 item and other items acquired such as through your faction or when completing a quest like in White Plume.

The end result is all characters created under the new system will be permanently weaker than existing ones (unless they junk trade).

Character death is seriously punishing now. Part of me isn't upset about that since I usually build super hard to kill characters, but it doesn’t seem balanced. If you have one player prone to death because he or she isn’t mechanically inclined that player would just spiral even further behind.

TheUser
2018-07-31, 08:39 AM
Character death is seriously punishing now. Part of me isn't upset about that since I usually build super hard to kill characters, but it doesn’t seem balanced. If you have one player prone to death because he or she isn’t mechanically inclined that player would just spiral even further behind.

Death in tier 1 is very easy to accomplish because of the overkill rules.

Given how little gold is given out it's pretty much Zealot Barbarian or bust with respect to high risk frontliners. It's too little gold to even accommodate spell components for mid-high level spells; there's no way this amount of gold can stay in the AL without crapping on numerous play styles and builds.

Snowbluff
2018-07-31, 11:15 AM
Here is a longer thread on the matter. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?564950-DND-AL-Season-8-rules-are-apparently-really-bad/page5)

TheUser
2018-07-31, 12:40 PM
As someone who likes being able to have a running tally on what people think about the changes and how they might act accordingly I like this strawpoll and the effect it potentially boasts for anyone who might be a part of the AL administration paying attention to this.