PDA

View Full Version : Question about how Warlock familiar works.

Deca4531
2018-07-30, 08:04 AM
As I was reading it, my familiar acts independently of me with its own initiative roll and everything, except it can't attack unless I use my attack action to tell it to. So if I use my standard action to have it do an attack does it do so on my turn? Does doing so use up its standard action as well? I ask because I got into this system, which the DM approved since neither of us knew, where I would have my imp go invisible at the start of combat. On my turn I would use my action to have it attack, and it would have a prepared action to use its action to go back invisible after it made its attack.

Ninjaskurk
2018-07-30, 08:26 AM
When you use an action to make your imp attack instead of you, the imp has to use its reaction.
So when it also wants to ready an action to go invisible, it cant since it used the 1 reaction per round.

But, the imp can go invisible on its own turn using its own action, then attack in your stead using its reaction on your turn.

Millstone85
2018-07-30, 09:05 AM
Older printings of the PHB do not mention that when you let your familiar attack, it does so with its reaction. So do not worry if you can't find it in your PHB, and do consult the errata (http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf).

I think the best strategy is to ready your Attack action for your familiar's turn. This way, the familiar can use its movement, its reaction (to attack), and its action (like Disengage or Invisibility), all in one turn.

Deca4531
2018-07-30, 09:51 AM
Ok, thanks. It's good to know this strategy is legal, it can make for some good role playing aspects. In the current party no one knows my familiar is anything but a pet bird who likes to hide in my cowl. I have our party rogue convinced they are suddenly incredibly skilled after I gave her a "magic" throwing knife. Whenever the rogue throws it it triggers my action to command my imp to attack, if the rogue misses he intercepts the knife and guides it to the target (it doesn't do dmg in this case) as he makes his own attack. All anyone sees is a black ball (imp in raven form) appear at the impact point for an instant before dissapearing. She is having a ball because she rolls terrible all the time and now her rogue appears to be one shotting things. I know it doesn't really work with the action economy but our DM allows it.

DeTess
2018-07-30, 09:54 AM
Ok, thanks. It's good to know this strategy is legal, it can make for some good role playing aspects. In the current party no one knows my familiar is anything but a pet bird who likes to hide in my cowl. I have our party rogue convinced they are suddenly incredibly skilled after I gave her a "magic" throwing knife. Whenever the rogue throws it it triggers my action to command my imp to attack, if the rogue misses he intercepts the knife and guides it to the target (it doesn't do dmg in this case) as he makes his own attack. All anyone sees is a black ball (imp in raven form) appear at the impact point for an instant before dissapearing. She is having a ball because she rolls terrible all the time and now her rogue appears to be one shotting things. I know it doesn't really work with the action economy but our DM allows it.

That's pretty cool! However, how is your familiar one-shotting things? It's only about CR1/2 so it wouldn't really be doing a lot of damage.

Deca4531
2018-07-30, 11:30 AM
That's pretty cool! However, how is your familiar one-shotting things? It's only about CR1/2 so it wouldn't really be doing a lot of damage.

The imp does 1d4 + 3, so about 5 or 6 damage normally, but it also poisons for another 3d6, so the imp alone does around 15 to 20 damage on a hit (on a failed con save), if the rogue lands the throw that's 1d4+dex+2d6 sneak attack.

So basically the most damage "she" can do is 2d4+5d6+3(imp dex)+4(her dex). We are only 3rd level so that's a lot for us lol.

I'm thinking I might talk her into some kind of fake pact with me where as long as she serves by my side I'll grant her this power, she knows I'm a warlock but not much about how we work (in character) other than our power comes from other worldly deals, so I think I could talk her into it lol.

DeTess
2018-07-30, 12:10 PM
The imp does 1d4 + 3, so about 5 or 6 damage normally, but it also poisons for another 3d6, so the imp alone does around 15 to 20 damage on a hit (on a failed con save), if the rogue lands the throw that's 1d4+dex+2d6 sneak attack.

So basically the most damage "she" can do is 2d4+5d6+3(imp dex)+4(her dex). We are only 3rd level so that's a lot for us lol.

I'm thinking I might talk her into some kind of fake pact with me where as long as she serves by my side I'll grant her this power, she knows I'm a warlock but not much about how we work (in character) other than our power comes from other worldly deals, so I think I could talk her into it lol.
Yeah, that'll do it :P

Deca4531
2018-07-30, 12:22 PM
I really think the CR for an imp should be higher. I mean a 1st level character could easily get one shot by this thing. A wizard would have maybe 7 or 8 HP, the imp hits him with just a sting and there goes 6 hit points, now he has 2 when the poison takes affect for another 3d6. Even a barbarian with 16 HP could be killed with that if he failed the save. Sure the imp only has 10 HP but it can also fly and become invisible. With decent tactics I could see a lone imp solo killing a party of first level characters.

Sirithhyando
2018-07-30, 12:24 PM
My character (a wizard) and my friend (a warlock) have our characters do a little strategy that will get better with the way you all just said to use the action to attack.

Wizard cast 2nd level "Dragon breath" and then the imp goes and does usually 1 or 2 breath before getting killed.

Now, he'll be able to get invisible right after attacking... we might get the whole minute of fun with an invisible mini-dragon. :smallbiggrin:

JackPhoenix
2018-07-30, 04:47 PM
My character (a wizard) and my friend (a warlock) have our characters do a little strategy that will get better with the way you all just said to use the action to attack.

Wizard cast 2nd level "Dragon breath" and then the imp goes and does usually 1 or 2 breath before getting killed.

Now, he'll be able to get invisible right after attacking... we might get the whole minute of fun with an invisible mini-dragon. :smallbiggrin:

How? Dragon's Breath is an action, the Imp's Invisibility is also an action. Dragon's Breath is not an attack.