PDA

View Full Version : Extradimensional Psion -- How to Bypass the (Shadow) Weave in Toril

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-30, 10:06 AM
Let's say there's a convert-spell-to-power erudite psion (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) from a different crystal sphere entirely who is pulled into Toril against his will. Is there some way to affect the world using psionics without tapping into the uber-stupid Weave or Shadow Weave? Even via a pre-existing artifact of some sort? I read some time ago that psionic manifesters can manipulate their own internal energies so they can manifest self-only powers, but they apparently have to ride along the Weave to affect the outside world.

I want to break that. There's no reason why a person who is used to manipulating the fabric of reality without a Weave should suddenly be limited to not doing so.

Basically, I don't want to be beholden to the gods in order to exercise my entirely extra-divine psionic ability.

So, any ideas?

Would the acorn of far travel spell on a tree outside of the Realms work, since you count as standing under a tree in a place not subject to the Weave? Seems like that spell is the answer to about 75% of problems similar to this one.

Crichton
2018-07-30, 10:24 AM
Unless there's another source that I don't know about, in Faerun Psionics don't rely on the Weave (or Shadow Weave) at all. Here's the relevant passage from PgtF:

Psionics and the Weave

Unlike spells, which derive their power from Faerūn's Weave (or the Shadow Weave), psionic ability taps only the inner reservoirs of the manifester. In a sense, each psionic creature is its own Weave, using the magic of its own lifeforce and mind to create psionic effects. Mystra and Shar have no ability to deny psionic creatures access to powers, and they do not control the promulgation of psionic lore and ability throughout the populace of Faerūn.

While psionics does not require the Weave to function, psionic powers are magical in nature. Spells such as detect magic can also detect psionic abilities at work, and spells such as dispel magic or antimagic shell can negate, suppress, or completely cancel psionic manifestations. In Faerūn, psionics and magic are not transparent to each other; they interact exactly as magic interacts with other magic

Does that help?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-30, 10:44 AM
Unless there's another source that I don't know about, in Faerun Psionics don't rely on the Weave (or Shadow Weave) at all. Here's the relevant passage from PgtF:

Does that help?It does, actually. I could've sworn that manifesters were limited to self-only powers in places where the Weave was damaged, but I guess not.

Thanks!

Anyone else have a quote that limits this, by any chance?