PDA

View Full Version : Spells for Rogue dipping into Warlock and possibly AT

Cicciograna
2018-07-30, 11:09 AM
Hello, for my next build I was thinking of a Rogue. I'd like to take 3 levels of Warlock (to access the improved Find Familiar spell for a Sprite familiar), and possible taking the Arcane Trickster archetype.

What spells would you suggest me to take? I don't plan to be in combat every time, so I'd pick versatility over firepower - not to mention that, to my understanding, you can't apply Sneak Attack dice to spells.

Vogie
2018-07-30, 11:44 AM
I mean, you can?

The AT already gives you an invisible thing that generates advantage for you... it's your invisible mage hand, and at rogue 13, it acts exactly the same as your invisible sprite.

If you're already picking up one of the invisible familiars, and having short-rest spell slot casting, you'll probably have more fun just being a multiclass rogue (any other roguish archetype) and warlock. Going AT will just make you MAD, as you'll need DEX, CHA, INT, & CON at decent levels.

Cicciograna
2018-07-30, 11:59 AM
The Warlock levels are mostly for fluff reasons, I'd like for my character to have very strong ties to the Fey (I'm going to play a half-elf). From that point of view, I'm not concerned about mechanical implications of adding an extra class, I think this is a fun and fluffy concept.

To be honest I'm still not entirely sure if to take levels in Warlock, or even in AT, actually- My first idea was Warlock + Scout archetype from XGTE, then I thought about pure AT, now settling on Warlock + AT, so it's still a work in progress.

solidork
2018-07-30, 12:06 PM
It might be tempting to avoid taking Illusion/Enchantment spells since you might eventually be able to get them from your Arcane Trickster levels, but its going to take a long time for that to come online so I wouldn't hold back from picking them for that reason. I'm especially thinking of things like Invisibility and Mirror Image.

Are you planning on having a good Intelligence or Charisma?

I'm actually currently playing a Celestial Warlock/EK and there are some similarities if you're curious.

Cicciograna
2018-07-30, 12:15 PM
Are you planning on having a good Intelligence or Charisma?

That will depend on how I roll for abilities; anyway I'm planning to play an half-elf, so I get a boost to Cha, and potentially to Dex and Int.