PDA

View Full Version : One Shot Ideas

username1
2018-07-30, 01:08 PM
Im running a one shot for a different group to try and re-introduce them into dnd. They were my first group but there were some problems due to we never had time anymore that the group broke up. I now am running a 4 hour one shot and need it tailored to their play-style. This group is quite hard to run for as they play in a very interesting way. Note: I already have multiple ideas, just seeing if anyone had so better ideas.

The requirement due to their play style:

Not character rp: My players will role play with my npcs, but they don't feel comfortable with role playing with each other.

Clear story: My players won't investigate much, they want the plot to hit them in the face.

Big reason for a group of adventures to take the mission: I can say it now, their characters will not be good people. They want money and stuff.

Not just a dungeon crawl: They do like a bit of story

A chill style: When that group plays dnd its just us hanging out and doing some stuff. Usually not my cup of tea but it is a good break from my main groups intense focus. We want to have fun, things that get in our way of that are remove, npcs should be intresting and make a good joke. (Note: Your ideas don't need to worry about this, I can make it happen)

I need to have fun: This is the main reason the group broke up. I no longer was having it with their type of playing. The story needs elements that I can control and keep the story on track. I can't tell them, Kill random dude in dungeon because he has cut off the water supply, because they will wander around and do nothing.

Thanks for any ideas.

ErHo
2018-07-30, 01:55 PM
Hate to begin like this but it may work with your group.

They begin tied to columns in a dungeon, with no memory of how they got there. Escape the room, minor tailoring to put in an NPC to RP with, otherwise its simple... Escape the room.

Watch this, the setup in front of him is this very mission.

https://youtu.be/AIFxPXlTzlQ

If you cant get thorugh this room wihtout revisiting the old problems, then it may just not be meant to be

nickl_2000
2018-07-30, 02:04 PM
Something I've written that may fit this group.

Treasure Hunt - The PCs are co-owners of a bar and get a treasure map and follow the clues to find the treasure.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-AG6daXlDe3ser-cZEYU7w9aLCKR50mPPL0kHZl7zhg/edit?usp=sharing

Vogie
2018-07-30, 02:28 PM
Grab your inspiration from shows like Leverage or the Ocean's Movies - these are all criminals doing a quick job.

Make sure you use archetype piggybacking to keep them on the rails. Although it's a bit on the nose, a train robbery may be the perfect idea. If you don't have trains in the world you're doing, then they could be bandits ambushing a caravan, or pirates hunting a merchant ship.

Have each of them start at level 5, with 3 levels in Rogue (one of each roguish archetype) and 2 levels in their "actual" class.