PDA

View Full Version : Most fun Snake concept

90sMusic
2018-07-30, 01:09 PM
So I was rereading all those race specific feats that WOTC released for the Volo's monster manual races and I was looking at the Yuan-Ti one...

+1 Int or Charisma

You can use an action to polymorph into a Medium snake or back into your true form. Your statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment you are wearing or carrying isn't transformed. If you die, you stay in your current form.

While in snake form, you gain a bite attack as a natural weapon, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d4+your Strength modifier, instead of bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike. When you hit with a bite attack, you can choose to deal 2d6 additional poison damage to the target. Once you deal this poison damage, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest.

So first off, I have always loved unlimited transformation abilities. This is something 5e has never had (unless you count a level 20 druid) but back in Pathfinder I always enjoyed playing a Kitsune and picking up the feat that let you turn into a fox whenever you wanted.

Now i'm kind of wanting to create a character that basically just stays in snake form all the time just for the fun of it, so I was wondering what would be a good class for that...

Further complications are it doesn't absorb your gear like most polymorphing/shapeshifting, it seems to read like your stuff just falls on the ground when you turn into a snake, so the class would have to function with very little need for equipment. But, your statistics stay the same, so you don't lose your ability to speak.

Monk seems like the obvious first choice. The martial arts rules can change your unarmed strikes to deal increasing damage as you level up and allows them to be dex based instead of strength based. It also functions just fine without armor since you can get your AC from Wisdom and Dexterity. Seems like a pretty funny build to me.

I was wondering what else might work... Warlock? Bard? Sorcerer?
Seems you could rig up an arcane focus you could use in snake form, some kind of choker/necklace type deal maybe? And if not, the most commonly used warlock spells have no material requirement such as Eldritch Blast. You could theoretically be a snek hidding in a tree shooting lasers at people. For armor, you can pickup the invocation for unlimited mage armor casting and there you go.

I think a Snake bard would be pretty humorous as well. Can't you just see a little snek singing and dancing?

The point here isn't to make an optimal build, just something that is functional, reasonable, and seems like it might be fun to play.

And if it came down to it, you could always turn back into your humanoid form if you really HAD to for whatever reason.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments? Cookies?

Quoxis
2018-07-30, 02:03 PM
Barbarian - Boa Constragetor.
Unarmored defense, rage resistance, bonus damage on the strength bite attack, reckless attack and choking your opponents boa style with grapple advantage.

Ventruenox
2018-07-30, 02:14 PM
Sun Soul Monk. Shoot laser beams from your eyes as a snake.

Spellcasters require the verbal, material, and somatic components to cast a spell; something that you would be hard pressed to do while in a serpentine form. Restricting yourself to unarmed attacks and verbal-only spells? You might be able to pull off a back line Bard, but it'll be fairly limited in options and super squishy.

If you have the stats to take a single level in Bard and the rest in Monk, well, that would be rather interesting. Bard 1 gets you Bardic Inspiration, Vicious Mockery, Healing Word, Dissonant Whispers, & Faerie Fire usable in snake form. That's support enough to be useful throughout the campaign. Spend the rest of the time shooting radiant damage lasers along with the other defensive monk goodies. Stunning strike with your bite attack whenever enemies close to melee distance on you.

sophontteks
2018-07-30, 02:24 PM
Sun Soul Monk. Shoot laser beams from your eyes as a snake.

Spellcasters require the verbal, material, and somatic components to cast a spell; something that you would be hard pressed to do while in a serpentine form. Restricting yourself to unarmed attacks and verbal-only spells? You might be able to pull off a back line Bard, but it'll be fairly limited in options and super squishy.

If you have the stats to take a single level in Bard and the rest in Monk, well, that would be rather interesting.
Sun monk snake sounds so cool.

JackPhoenix
2018-07-30, 04:49 PM
That feat is homebrew, not in any published WotC material.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-30, 04:57 PM
So I was rereading all those race specific feats that WOTC released for the Volo's monster manual races and I was looking at the Yuan-Ti one...

Those feats were made by the D&D Beyond team, not by WotC.

Now I'm not against using 3rd party material to enhance a game, so I say run with it.

But I did dislike how it makes it seems like they are official feats. It just muddies the waters.

JeffreyGator
2018-07-30, 05:10 PM
I could have sworn this was an official update, but it appears to just be a DM's guild thing also published on DnDBeyond which is I suppose somewhat filtered homebrew.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-30, 05:18 PM
I could have sworn this was an official update, but it appears to just be a DM's guild thing also published on DnDBeyond which is I suppose somewhat filtered homebrew.

I'm sure it's more Officebrew than Homebrew :smallwink:

3rd party nonetheless.

MagneticKitty
2018-07-30, 06:46 PM
Mystic snake. No spell components because mystic.
Use soul blade on your fangs maybe? Also can enlarge to large and huge with one discipline. Plus spit elemental stuff if you take those. And communicate to people in their mind and hypnotize them to do stuff with some of the disciplines.

Droodicus
2018-07-30, 08:00 PM
Giant soul sorcerer so you can be monster big snek.
1 level barb, rest paladin. Smite snek. Make it oath of conquest for scary snek

90sMusic
2018-07-31, 01:41 AM
This isn't homebrew, third party, or unofficial lol

It is straight from wizards of the coast.

Their standard policy is basically core rules + 1 extra book, so when they released Xanathar's guide with all the extra feats in them, they didn't include any race-specific feats for any of the races in Volo's because their standard policy means you have to pick either volo or XGE as your +1. So they released them separately as a PDF.

But yeah, it's a PDF you can download off WOTC's official website and it is also in the official feats listed on DNDbeyond. Made by the same folks and would've been included in Xanathar's Guide.

JackPhoenix
2018-07-31, 04:28 AM

Their standard policy is basically core rules + 1 extra book, so when they released Xanathar's guide with all the extra feats in them, they didn't include any race-specific feats for any of the races in Volo's because their standard policy means you have to pick either volo or XGE as your +1. So they released them separately as a PDF.

But yeah, it's a PDF you can download off WOTC's official website and it is also in the official feats listed on DNDbeyond. Made by the same folks and would've been included in Xanathar's Guide.

Download where? There isn't anything like that anywhere on WotC's site, as far as I can see, and DnDBeyond isn't official, and this isn't the first time they try to pass some 3rd party stuff like official content.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-31, 11:23 AM

If it was from WotC then why is the Author not listed as Wizards of the Coast?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/226194/Expanded-Racial-Feats