PDA

View Full Version : Druid Ram Charge ability + Charger Feat

Aaedimus
2018-07-30, 01:52 PM
So the Giant Goat (CR 1) has the Charge ability

(If the goat moves 20 ft towards a target and hits it with a ram attack on the same turn that target takes an additional 2d4 and must succeed on a DC 13 Str check or be knocked prone)

There's also the Charger Feat
You can make a bonus action attack after dashing and can either gain +5 damage or push the target 10 feet if you moved in a straight line and 10 feet or more

These two abilities look like they'd both work together if you dashed, and hit the target with your bonus action attack. You could than add 2d4+5 and knock them prone, or add 2d4, knock them back 10 ft and knock them prone than use your movement to leave without provoking whether the target succeeded on the save or not.

I don't see any way to turn it into two attacks, because the charger ability requires the dash action and a bonus action.

Am I rulling this right?

Eragon123
2018-07-30, 01:54 PM
Everything looks to be in order to me.

This is a very niche and unique build. I like it!

Aaedimus
2018-07-30, 01:58 PM
Fyi it works on the warhorse too lol
Yeah! I like it too.

I originally took the Charger Feat to work with the Female Strider wildshape so that I could leap, dash, and attack someone 130 ft away all on one turn.

This seems pretty fun too!

It seemed like it could create some fun situations in our Curse of Strahd campaign.

nickl_2000
2018-07-30, 01:59 PM
Yes, they will work together. Dash lets you make a melee weapon attack, which Ram is (it's point on specific in the block that it is a melee weapon attack Ram. Melee Weapon Attack: +5....).

The Goat's charge ability requires a melee weapon attack hitting and movement of 20 feet towards the target. As long as both of the conditions are met (which if you hit they are), then the person hit takes extra damage and has to make a save or be knocked prone.

However, if you use your bonus action to attempt to shove, you are making a special attack, which doesn't qualify for the Goat's charge ability.

Aaedimus
2018-07-30, 02:35 PM
The wording of your post confused me a bit...

If you have the Charger Feat, why would you shove?

Infact... the special action "shove" requires an action not a bonus action and is a contested ability check not an attack, am I right?

Aaedimus
2018-07-30, 02:38 PM
Oh I reread the Charger Feat wording. I get what you were saying