PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Advice on a Rogue/Cleric

Slybluedemon
2018-07-30, 08:13 PM
I was thinking running an Assassin/Life Cleric.

It is a 27pt Point Buy
I am thinking Variant Human

I am thinking of playing him as someone who heals the members of his religion but assassinates Heretics.

Attacks with Finesse weapons

I was wondering what level break down would you do?

CTurbo
2018-07-30, 08:26 PM

It is a 27pt Point Buy

I am thinking of playing him as someone who heals the members of his religion but assassinates Heretics.

This is a very odd but interesting combo

I think I'd go Rogue 5, then dip Cleric 1. I don't think I would go with Life though. War, Light, Knowledge, or Trickery would probably work out better for you.

CTurbo
2018-07-30, 08:47 PM
Arcana Cleric/Arcane Trickster would be a cool combo

I can't think of any crucial feats that you just HAVE to have at level 1 so I think I'd go Wood Elf

You could very easily start 16 Dex, 14 Con, and 14 Wis and have no dump stat or 16 Dex, 14 Con, and 16 Wis if you don't mind having an 8 Str and Int

Slybluedemon
2018-07-30, 09:18 PM
Trickery domain would be really cool. Would work with Assassin.

Advantage on stealth checks are good

CTurbo
2018-07-31, 12:05 AM
Yeah just too bad you can give yourself advantage. Has to be somebody other than you.

How sold are you on being an Assassin? I really like the level 3 Assassinate ability, and the level 17 Death Strike feature, but nothing in between.

Are you wanting to be a Rogue with just a Cleric dip or are you looking for a more split build?

BillyBobShorton
2018-07-31, 02:11 AM
My screen name is actually a PC I used of the Arcane Trickster/Arcana Cleric Wood Elf descript above. With Mobile and Booming Blade, he was pretty brutal. Also used a familiar to get advantage a lot.

Anyway, if you want advantage a lot and to land massive super crits, go assassin/grave cleric w/mage initiate wizard feat-take whatever cantrips and also find familiar. Also the crossbow expert for an extra attack. The grave cleric can use its channel divinity to grant vulnerability on next attack that lands. Familiar can use help action. I believe that means it would double a crit-so quadruple dmg... w/sneak attack. Just stack your dex as much as possible. And if you ambush, use guidance on your initiative (it's a skill check). You'll need that early jump.to take full advantage.

ReaperChaos
2018-07-31, 02:30 AM
Well, your rogue makes for a nice roleplay chance. A healer who assassinates Heretics.

A tempest cleric with 3 levels of rogue and a crossbow is also a good option to consider.

RickAsWritten
2018-07-31, 08:40 AM
Hill Dwarf
Rogue 1-->Forge Cleric 1-->Swashbuckler 19(or sprinkle in three more Cleric levels to flavor)
Wear heavy armor
Attack with DEX, dump STR

BillyBobShorton
2018-07-31, 11:22 AM
Hill Dwarf
Rogue 1-->Forge Cleric 1-->Swashbuckler 19(or sprinkle in three more Cleric levels to flavor)
Wear heavy armor
Attack with DEX, dump STR
Catch 22: Dump strength and you CAN'T wear heavy armor.

RickAsWritten
2018-07-31, 01:56 PM
Catch 22: Dump strength and you CAN'T wear heavy armor.

Dwarves bypass the strength requirement for heavy armor.

Snowbluff
2018-07-31, 02:25 PM
Arcane Trickster at nine levels gives Magical Ambush which is good for caster builds, like Clerics.

Life Cleric doesn't have damage abilities and doesn't synergize with assassin at all.

Trickery domain would be really cool. Would work with Assassin.

Advantage on stealth checks are good

Trickery is bad. Also it doesn't do that.

Everyone, you should all know that trickery is the worst domain.

Galadhrim
2018-08-01, 10:16 AM

It is a 27pt Point Buy

I think this multiclass would work best as a dip either way. For rogue to be effective you need your sneak attack, and for cleric, you need your spell progression. However, a cleric with 2-3 levels of rogue might be quite nice. You get expertise to build out your assassin's' skills for his religious order. You get cunning action to move around the battlefield in a rogue like manner, and you get some small sneak attack bonus when you do swing your weapon, but your spell casting progression is not hindered to much. I recommend talking to your DM before taking the assassin subclass specifically. In the two games I've played with other players that took assassin, they were disappointed that they very very rarely got to use the assassinate feature.

If you are going Life Cleric/Rogue, I would look at rogue 2/Life cleric X.
Some other fun combos might be Arcane Trickster 3/Tempest Cleric X

If you go the other way, mostly rogue with a cleric dip, I would look at Life cleric 1/Rogue X (Life's channel divinity is based on cleric level, so level 2 cleric doesn't give you much)
Other good options might include:
Tempest cleric 2/arcane trickster X (take booming blade and maximize it for your assassination attempts, let the whole world know the heretic died for his/her deeds)
Knowledge Cleric 2/ Rogue X (know all the things. Knowledge is power after all)

the secret fire
2018-08-01, 10:46 AM

Not for a 1 or 2 level dip, it isn't.

OP: Rogues with a Cleric dip can be quite strong. Dipping just one level of Cleric grants access to: all the 1st level Cleric spells, three Cleric cantrips, shields and medium armor, and a Domain feature. That's a lot of utility for a single level dip, especially because going sword-and-board as a Rogue works quite well, so long as you have access to at least one of the SCAG cantrips (either as an AT, a High Elf, or through Magic Initiate, presumably). The best single-level Cleric dips for a Rogue are, imo, Light and Knowledge. Light is strong because it grants access to Fairie Fire, and because Warding Flare is useful (especially before you get Uncanny Dodge). Knowledge is strong because of the bonus proficiencies.

Two level dips are probably a little less optimal...it really depends on how much you value the Channel Divinity class feature. Unless you're really into turning undead, the only Channel Divinity feature I'd probably be willing to invest a class level in is the Knowledge feature, which is amazing (although Trickery is also worth considering).

For builds that involve more Cleric levels...can't help you there.

RickAsWritten
2018-08-01, 10:49 AM

I mean...is it the worst? Probably yeah(Forge is in the conversation), but the Cleric class as a whole is well-enough designed that even if it is the worst it 's like saying Joe McSportsface is the worst player on the all-star team. He may be the worst in comparison, but he's still pretty good.

MrStabby
2018-08-01, 11:52 AM

Well it depends what you want from your cleric. Sure it doesn't have the martial/heavy armour proficiency. This only matters if you need it - if you are dex based or get the proficiency from elsewhere it isn't a loss.

The divine strike ability is bad, but again this is only relevant if you are going to reach level 8.

If you are not needing the armour due to wanting to sneak and you won't be taking that many levels of cleric then you are needing to pretty much judge on the channel divinity abilities and the spells.

Invoke duplicity is great, even better if you have extra value to advantage. Team stealth is great if you are in a more sandboxy type game where you don't have to fight everything (or you need to run away). Which leaves the trickery spells, which are generally pretty awesome. In the context of a multiclass character it is worth paying specific attention to those that don't need wisdom.

Trickery is arguably the worst domain in a lot of contexts, it is not always the worst domain.