PDA

View Full Version : Player Help the standard 6

jdizzlean
2018-07-30, 09:47 PM
for 3.5

i can't for the life of me recall what the standard 6 items are supposed to be

i know there's also an expanded list out there as well.

can anyone provide either of those?

Kelb_Panthera
2018-07-30, 10:04 PM
Do you mean the six standard ability boosting items?

gauntlets of ogre strength/ belt of giant strength
gloves/boots of dexterity
con item
headband of intellect
periapt of wisdom
cloak of charisma

The con one always slips my mind.

KillianHawkeye
2018-07-30, 10:15 PM
I've never heard of any standard set of 6 items before.

Assuming you mean a set of magic items that just about everyone should get, I suppose I'd construct the following list (just off the top of my head):
a magic weapon
some magic armor or Bracers of Armor
an item to boost your primary ability score
a Ring of Protection
a Cloak/Vest of Resistance
some kind of miscellaneous magic item, like a magic shield or an off-hand weapon, a basic level wand, a Handy Haversack, or a Belt of Healing

NontheistCleric
2018-07-30, 10:20 PM
The con one always slips my mind.

Amulet of Health, I think.

Arbane
2018-07-31, 03:18 PM
I've never heard of any standard set of 6 items before.

Assuming you mean a set of magic items that just about everyone should get, I suppose I'd construct the following list (just off the top of my head):
a magic weapon
some magic armor or Bracers of Armor
an item to boost your primary ability score
a Ring of Protection
a Cloak/Vest of Resistance
some kind of miscellaneous magic item, like a magic shield or an off-hand weapon, a basic level wand, a Handy Haversack, or a Belt of Healing

I think #6 is 'Amulet of Natural Armor', but the first 5 look about right.
(If so, I would add Handy Haversack as the 7th item. Those are too useful.)

Kelb_Panthera
2018-07-31, 05:00 PM
If it's the +X to Y bonus stuff:

Weapon
Armor
Cloak of resistance
Amulet of natural armor
Ring of protection
+X to primary attribute thingy.

KillianHawkeye
2018-07-31, 05:46 PM
I think #6 is 'Amulet of Natural Armor', but the first 5 look about right.

I thought about that, but I felt it wasn't as much of a necessity.

It would certainly be an option for that miscellaneous slot, though. Some characters might care to get one, but most don't in my experience. There are a lot of other good amulets out there, after all.

Troacctid
2018-07-31, 07:19 PM
Here you go (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20070302a)

Magic weapon
Magic armor & shield
Ring of protection
Cloak of resistance
Amulet of natural armor
Ability-score boosters

Elkad
2018-07-31, 08:31 PM
I thought about that, but I felt it wasn't as much of a necessity.

It would certainly be an option for that miscellaneous slot, though. Some characters might care to get one, but most don't in my experience. There are a lot of other good amulets out there, after all.

The point isn't the amulet.

Armor boost to AC
Deflection boost to AC
Natural boost to AC
Boost to saves
Magic weapon.
Primary Stat booster.

Where you slot them is irrelevant. You can stack all the armor/enhancement/deflection/natural bonuses on your armor (at list price even by using the MIC rules).
Con and Str can be stacked on your Belt of Battle at base price as well (and it's only 750*1.5 to stick Belt of Healing on it as well)

KillianHawkeye
2018-08-01, 08:11 PM
The point isn't the amulet.

Armor boost to AC
Deflection boost to AC
Natural boost to AC
Boost to saves
Magic weapon.
Primary Stat booster.

Where you slot them is irrelevant. You can stack all the armor/enhancement/deflection/natural bonuses on your armor (at list price even by using the MIC rules).
Con and Str can be stacked on your Belt of Battle at base price as well (and it's only 750*1.5 to stick Belt of Healing on it as well)

No, the point is that most of the characters I've played have gotten a deflection bonus to AC and a resistance bonus to Saves, but very few have cared to get an item for natural armor because it's just not as important. IMO.

I've played a lot of characters who'd rather get a magic shield or a second magic weapon, or practically anything else before getting an amulet of natural armor. In my experience, it's an extra, not a necessity.

Troacctid
2018-08-01, 08:14 PM
No, the point is that most of the characters I've played have gotten a deflection bonus to AC and a resistance bonus to Saves, but very few have cared to get an item for natural armor because it's just not as important. IMO.
It's usually just an efficient buy for stacking AC, since +1 deflection and +1 natural armor is cheaper than +2 deflection (for example).

Yogibear41
2018-08-02, 02:33 AM
The Standard 6, aka the items that shouldn't have been items, and should have just been natural character improvements because for reason #6 so blatantly stated in the article previously mentioned (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20070302a) they are: "required to play"