PDA

View Full Version : casting spells from items

Samayu
2018-07-30, 11:39 PM
There's a rule that says I can't cast two spells in a turn unless one of them is a cantrip.

I recently heard that using a magic item to cast a spell can trigger a wild magic surge. This is because I'm casting a spell, regardless of whether it came from my head or an object I'm holding. A wand of magic missiles allows me to cast Magic Missile without using a spell slot (or even knowing any spells, for that matter).

Then it stands to reason that I can't cast a non-cantrip spell from a wand, and also cast a non-cantrip spell from my head (using a bonus action, for example).

True?

MeeposFire
2018-07-30, 11:49 PM
There's a rule that says I can't cast two spells in a turn unless one of them is a cantrip.

I recently heard that using a magic item to cast a spell can trigger a wild magic surge. This is because I'm casting a spell, regardless of whether it came from my head or an object I'm holding. A wand of magic missiles allows me to cast Magic Missile without using a spell slot (or even knowing any spells, for that matter).

Then it stands to reason that I can't cast a non-cantrip spell from a wand, and also cast a non-cantrip spell from my head (using a bonus action, for example).

True?

Just as a clarification there is no rule that prevents you from casting two leveled spells in a turn. You can cast as many leveled spells in a single turn that your action economy allows so long as none of them is a bonus action.

So a fighter/sorcerer could cast shield (reaction), fireball (action), and fireball (action surge reaction) all in the same turn but that same fighter/sorcerer could not cast fireball or shield at all that turn if they were to cast a quickened firebolt (or any other spell as a bonus action).

The rule forcing you to use cantrips is specifically related to bonus action spells only.

Demonslayer666
2018-07-31, 12:53 PM

True?

You still have to cast the spell if the item in question says you cast a spell, so restrictions would still apply to the bonus action limitation.

Samayu
2018-07-31, 11:08 PM
I totally didn't know that. Thanks!