PDA

View Full Version : DM Help DUNGEONFOG – Online map maker & authoring tool for RPG game masters

DungeonFog
2018-07-31, 08:41 AM
Hi all!

My name is Till Lammer and I am the founder of DUNGEONFOG.
In summer 2017 we brought our idea to Kickstarter:

“I love to be a DM, but I wish I would spend less time on preparation”.

We wanted to make a new, effortless map maker that helps you create your notes and allows you to share editable maps with the community.
So that you always have the fitting map at hand.

Our goal is to create an map editor where you can draw your RPG tabletop maps with just a few clicks and without the need to patch up map tiles.
So in case you have the same problems as we do, this might be interesting for you:

You need battlemaps for your tabletop roleplaying game
Are you usually late on your preparations
You are OK with drawing maps, but often you would just like to download an existing one.

We have launched the Open BETA!
Almost exactly 1 year after our Kickstarter campaign was successfully funded, we have opened the gates for the public.
What we need most is feedback to improve our tools. So, if you are interested, come and check us out at dungeonfog.com

Blaede
2018-09-06, 03:23 AM
Looks really good. Any idea how much will be the subscription?

Saintheart
2018-09-06, 03:43 AM
Looks like you can find the prices here: https://www.dungeonfog.com/pricing/

Subscription (as opposed to the beta release) looks to be about 50 euros per year, 100 euros for a commercial licence, though there are monthly prices as well.

I'm not going to make any comment on the pricing.

For PbP this has a lot of features I probably wouldn't need or could get by without, mainly because PbP by definition has no time constraints applying to it. You can easily get by with MapTool on scanned battlemaps hosted on imgbox, the drawback being that MapTool is horribly unintuitive until you get the hang of it. But then, MapTool is free. This thing looks like it'd be useful in that most of your documentation could wind up in one program rather than bouncing from a Word doc to MapTool or whatever, but to me its main attraction would be consolidation rather than providing something I can't do for myself with a little patience for free. Not terribly impressed by the look of the battlemaps, but this thing's still young and I'd guess mappers haven't tried to stretch its limits yet. Hard to tell without beta access. Still, it promises that you can upload your own textures and assets, which - so long as it's as simple as something like TokenTool - would be a major way to get around having to use the inbuilt options and could be a point in favour.

For actual FtF sessions or similar I would imagine this would be pretty useful, but I run PbP exclusively so couldn't comment. My main test for this thing would probably be how quick you can really come up with a battlemap to run a random encounter and how nice the map would look.