PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Help Equip this Cleric!

Chester
2018-07-31, 08:49 AM
Hello!

Just some equipment advice for a 3.5 Dwarf Cleric 5 / Combat Medic 2. I know the "essential magic items" thread, but I'm just listening for something useful that I might not be thinking of.

CG Cleric of Hanseath, War and Travel Domains.

So far, I bought Wildwood Full Plate +1 and a greataxe +1. There's an Everful Mug for flavor / acts as the holy symbol. I've taken care of mundane essentials.

There's 12,120 gold left. I'm thinking of essentials like a cloak of resistance, anklet of translocation, etc.

But I'm open to more suggestions. Build will be Cleric 5 / Combat Medic 5 / Contemplative 10.

This is not a build advice question! I don't care if the build is under-powered. I'm just looking for useful and flavorful magic item suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-07-31, 09:05 AM
Rod of Bodily Restoration, MIC.

A standard Strand of Prayer Beads (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#strandofPrayerBeads) has a bead of healing, karma, and smiting, and despite what the SRD says, it's priced at 25,800 gp in the DMG (which is the primary source for D&D games). If the bead of smiting is removed, it's only 9,000 gp and includes a bead of healing and a bead of karma.

Anklet of Translocation and Healing Belt (MIC) are good to have as soon as you can afford them.

Put a Restful Crystal (MIC) on your armor so you can sleep in it.

Goggles of the Golden Sun (MIC) can be pretty useful.

Ring of Sustenance can help.

At your current level, an Ephod of Authority (MIC) increases your effective level for turning undead to 6th, allowing you to destroy 3 HD undead with a turning attempt. It's cheap enough to be worthwhile in case you run into a crowd of weaker undead minions.

Vizzerdrix
2018-07-31, 09:56 AM
Shapesand. A vest or cloak of resistance. More shapesand...

Troacctid
2018-07-31, 12:29 PM
Amber Amulet of Vermin (MIC, 700 gp) is great for cost-efficient minionmancy. The Huge Monstrous Scorpion is particularly effective (normally requires Summon Monster VII!).

If you're interested in battlefield control, a Thorn Pouch (MIC, 4400 gp) is both gold- and action-efficient with its swift action activation.

Upgrading your armor to Ethereal Armor (DotF, +3 bonus) is a cheap way to get a 7th level spell at will. I think you're just a hair short of it. Charming Armor (DotF, +2 bonus) is pretty nice too, forcing your enemies to save against becoming your drinking buddy every time they attack you.

Amulet of Tears (MIC, 2300 gp) is an efficient defensive item that can easily be reskinned as an Amulet of Beers.

Wands are pretty useful. Lesser Vigor and Resurgence are my top two at 1st level, and Divine Insight and Guidance of the Avatar are nicely overpowered skill bonuses at 2nd level.

Phylactery of Change (A&EG, 11,200 gp) is prooobably the most overpowered item you could buy with that kind of cash. Candle of Invocation (DMG, 8400 gp) is another really powerful option: use the Heroism effect until it runs low, then save it to cast Gate in an emergency.

Calthropstu
2018-08-01, 08:18 AM
Equipping a cleric? So many ways to do this!

The best way is doing so in a way that leaves them still able to heal you. First make yourself large. Huge if you can do it. The bi/er the better.

Next, make them tiny. The goal here is a 4 - 5 size category difference. This way, you can place them in your pocket. If you have two of them, you can suit them up with a one piece jumpsuit attached to a hook and wear them as earrings. Next, cast an illusion over them to make them look still.

Now you have clerics equipped and no one knows. They just think you have magic earrings. But in reality, they are casting healing spells on you.

Vizzerdrix
2018-08-01, 10:19 AM
ALL GOOD IDEAS!

What about taking tibbit clerics, turning them into undead, and making shoes out of them? Or pants. No one would ever expect pants to do anything in D&D!