PDA

View Full Version : Integrated Protection & Unarmored Defense

DragonBaneDM
2018-07-31, 09:16 AM
Hi Playground!

I'm playing a Level 5 Warforged Barbarian in an Eberron right now. We've been using a (fairly strong) homebrew Warforged traits list, but I'm eager for Wayfinder's Guide to come out so that I can make Relic kosher.

I'm sure it's been noted before, but Unarmored Defense and Integrated Protection have a really...strange interaction.

Relic is a Str build with the Dex to multiclass Rogue starting at Level 6. After going through and converting their ability scores to match their new subrace, it'll be better for me to use my Integrated Protection than my Unarmored Defense for AC.

However, the protection doesn't count as armor. I'll always have Unarmored Defense on. So...here's the idea:

Relic has to wear armor. It does nothing for them but shut down their Integrated Protection, but that helps me

Does that track? Did I do good? Or does this RAW count as a "benefit" from wearing armor?

Note: I'm 10000% sure my DM will just say "You pick which AC you want, and we can roll with that", I just saw this as a big, fun puzzle and wanted to know how everyone else saw it.

TheFryingPen
2018-07-31, 09:48 AM
Neither Integrated Protection nor Unarmored Defense grant a bonus to AC, so you can't combine them. They are both different ways to calculate your "base" AC. The PHB has a clear rule for such cases:

"Some spells and class features give you a different way to calculate your AC. If you have multiple features that give you different ways to calculate your AC,you choose which one to use." (PHB 14)

Also the Integrated Protection table in the eberron UA indicates that Composite and Heavy Plating are considered armor. So that'd shut down your Unarmored Defense if you use Composite as Barbarian for example.

unusualsuspect
2018-08-02, 03:33 AM
Since you get to choose, choose the higher one.

Notably, Composite Plating and Heavy Plating only count as armor, not as respectively as medium armor and heavy armor. That means that Barbarian traits that don't work if you wear heavy armor will work just fine in Heavy Plating.

Don't be shy on going with the Composite Plate unless your Dex is 18+.

Lawful Good
2018-08-02, 10:26 AM
Since you get to choose, choose the higher one.

Notably, Composite Plating and Heavy Plating only count as armor, not as respectively as medium armor and heavy armor. That means that Barbarian traits that don't work if you wear heavy armor will work just fine in Heavy Plating.

Don't be shy on going with the Composite Plate unless your Dex is 18+.

Isn't it a requirement to be proficient in heavy armor to use the heaviest option at all?

Fnissalot
2018-08-02, 10:39 AM
Isn't it a requirement to be proficient in heavy armor to use the heaviest option at all?

It is unclear from how it is written if it counts as wearing heavy armor. It only says that it counts as armor and it requires heavy armor proficiency. It does not yet explicitly say that you are wearing heavy armor.

Aett_Thorn
2018-08-02, 03:32 PM
It is unclear from how it is written if it counts as wearing heavy armor. It only says that it counts as armor and it requires heavy armor proficiency. It does not yet explicitly say that you are wearing heavy armor.

Correct, but a Barbarian/Rogue does not have heavy armor proficiency, so they can’t choose that option anyways.

Neknoh
2018-08-02, 04:14 PM
Correct, but a Barbarian/Rogue does not have heavy armor proficiency, so they can’t choose that option anyways.

Yup! (although a dip in to fighter solves that)

DragonBaneDM
2018-08-02, 04:22 PM
Wasn't my intention to stack 'em, just wanted to figure out how to use Integrated Plating while also being a Barbarian.

I was missing the Page 14 rule though! Now that I have that, I'm all good! Thanks all!

Neknoh
2018-08-02, 04:29 PM
So, based on the thread, the TLDR is:

If you use Medium or Heavy mod for the armor, you do not get to even look at Unarmored Defense, because you count as wearing armor.

But, since it simply counts as "armor" and not RAW "Heavy Armor", you get all the bonuses of Rage.

Correct?

Lunali
2018-08-02, 05:34 PM

Only if you start with your fighter dip, at higher levels, dipping fighter only gives medium.

unusualsuspect
2018-08-02, 09:27 PM

That doesn't unless it is the 1st level (as mentioned above), but the Heavily Armored feat can do it as well.