PDA

View Full Version : Githzerai Enlightened CR Confusion

TurboGhast
2018-07-31, 06:26 PM
When I recalculated the CR of a Githzerai Enlightened for the purposes of creating an upgraded version, my results showed that they're over-CRed.

OCR: 7

DPR: 43.3̄ (130 total over 3 rounds)

Attacks over 3 rounds: Temporal Strike, 2 Multiattacks, 3 Unarmed Strikes from Haste

Temporal Strike: 13 dmg
Multiattack: 37 dmg
Extra Unarmed strike from Haste: 13 dmg

To Hit: +8
DCR: 7

HP: 112
Effective AC: 22

18 base AC
+1 for knowing Blur, based on the vaguely similar ability stench.
+1 for knowing Shield, based on the similar ability parry.
+2 for having four proficient saves

While the spells could plausibly be +2 to EAC because they're better than what I'm comparing them to, that's still not enough to make up the difference. Temporal strike is effective but can't be worth +3 overall CR on its own, and I'm being charitable by ignoring concentration limits and assuming that the Githzerai's free to case buffs pre battle. (Specifically, allowing both Haste to apply to OCR and Blur to apply to DCR, and not counting the rounds used to cast them in the damage calculation.) Am I missing something else that would justify them being CR 10?

Unoriginal
2018-07-31, 06:56 PM
When I recalculated the CR of a Githzerai Enlightened for the purposes of creating an upgraded version, my results showed that they're over-CRed.

OCR: 7

DPR: 43.3̄ (130 total over 3 rounds)

Attacks over 3 rounds: Temporal Strike, 2 Multiattacks, 3 Unarmed Strikes from Haste

Temporal Strike: 13 dmg
Multiattack: 37 dmg
Extra Unarmed strike from Haste: 13 dmg

Am I missing something else that would justify them being CR 10?

Yes, you're missing how each of the Enlightnened's Unarmed Strike deals 13 bludgeoning damage plus 13 psychic damages (including the extra ones form a potential Haste), while the Temporal Strike deal 13 bludgeoning damage plus 52 psychic damage.

Even if only 2 attacks from one Multiattack action lands, it's still 52 damages.

TurboGhast
2018-07-31, 10:55 PM
Yes, you're missing how each of the Enlightnened's Unarmed Strike deals 13 bludgeoning damage plus 13 psychic damages (including the extra ones form a potential Haste), while the Temporal Strike deal 13 bludgeoning damage plus 52 psychic damage.

Even if only 2 attacks from one Multiattack action lands, it's still 52 damages.

I feel silly for missing that. Now that I'm properly calculating the attack's damage, my calculations match the printed CR.

OCR: 14

DPR: 91 (273 total dmg over 3 rounds)

Temporal Strike: 65 = 52 + 13 dmg
Multiattack: 78 dmg
Extra Unarmed strike from Haste: 26 dmg

DCR: 7

HP: 112
Effective AC: 22

18 base AC
+1 for knowing Blur, based on the vaguely similar ability stench.
+1 for knowing Shield, based on the similar ability parry.
+2 for having four proficient saves