PDA

View Full Version : Planeshift: Dominaria is up

Finback
2018-07-31, 08:19 PM
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-dominaria-2018-07-31

It has aven (at first glance, seems to be just a reprint of the hawk aven they've done for PS: Almondcats) and Keldons (a variant human), but otherwise is mostly backgrounds and a few new creatures (homarid, and two kavu).

Feels rather sparse, other than offering some different backgrounds and setting ideas. I mean, three monsters? I honestly feel like other than reasons for the PCs to be exploring, the only thing of real value here is the Keldon as a solid variant for fighters or barbarians.

Finback
2018-07-31, 08:26 PM
also, it makes little sense to use a pic of Radha, the Keldon leader, as she's a half-elf - pointed ears, etc. Physically, she has the build.

(side note: this is, I think, my fave art from the Dominaria set. She looks AMAZING. She went from skinny teen elf to powerhouse. And notice her sword? Not a mark on it. And then look at the rest of her. Swords are just for accessorising.)

Garfunion
2018-08-01, 11:55 AM
Planeshift’s are not supposed to give full disclosure on the plane’s setting. It is meant to introduce it to the 5e D&D system. Although it does seem a little spars for a planeshift.

Thank you by the way, for posting the link.

Regitnui
2018-08-01, 01:17 PM
I agree, seems rather sparse on content. Still better than the Kaladesh one though.

vicente408
2018-08-01, 06:24 PM
I think the brevity of it is likely because there’s not a ton of setting-specific stuff you need to convert or homebrew, as the setting is close enough to typical D&D fantasy for the most part and things from the core rulebooks will usually work just fine. Specific setting flavor and lore you can get from the card game, web serial fiction, and the Art of Dominaria book which goes into great detail regarding history and cultures.

Daithi
2018-08-01, 07:25 PM
If you are a Moon Druid, the Kavu Predator is way sweeter than a bear for your WildShape.

odigity
2018-08-01, 10:22 PM
Thanks for letting us know.

Finback
2018-08-01, 11:39 PM
If you are a Moon Druid, the Kavu Predator is way sweeter than a bear for your WildShape.

Which is apt, considering the most recent kavu creature printed is a "bear" (a 2/2 creature for 1G), except if you use the kicker cost, it's a much bigger, more powerful creature. In effect - a sweeter bear ;)

Quoxis
2018-08-02, 06:35 AM
So what do we get...
Fluff, a straight upgrade from the already overpowered (at least considered so by many) Aarakocra, more fluff, more options for MTOF‘s optional features for demon cultists, and three monsters, two of which are beasts available for druid summoning/wildshaping.
Meh. Could’ve been more, but at least it’s plenty to read with what looks like more fluff and character ideas than other plane shifts so far.

Stan
2018-08-02, 07:09 AM
Fluff, a straight upgrade from the already overpowered (at least considered so by many) Aarakocra,

Yea,the Aven has +2 dex, unlimited flight, and doesn't get disadvantage at long range with missile weapons. It's easy to make an archer that's nigh untouchable.

Aside from a few monsters, not much crunch.