PDA

View Full Version : PotA as a cat. Advice sought!

Speely
2018-07-31, 09:30 PM
Hey buds! So I am starting up a new Tabaxi Kensei for PotA. Starting at level 3. I know nothing about PotA (and don't want it spoiled for me!) but I want to be useful to my 4-player party. Speaking of the party:

Aasimar Sorciden (Devotion/Divine Soul)
Goliath Battlemaster/Zealot Barb
Fire Genasi Evocation Wizard
and...
Me, a Tabaxi Kensei. Myself and the wizard are the only single-class folks in the group.

Note: due to Ability rolls, I won't take Mobile till level 12 (I never roll well,) so keep that in mind, and the campaign won't go much beyond that, if at all. I feel like a maxed Dex and a good Wis is too valuable for a Monk to compromise that for anything.

We are starting with one Rare or under magic item each (which is crazy generous of our DM!) I am torn between Flametongue, Bracers of Defense (my natural AC will be 17 at level 4 and 18 at level 8, plus Agile Parry ofc,) or a straight +2 Longsword or Longbow.

Any of these would fit the backstory of my character, but I am just looking for general input since my compatriots are shaping up to be quite potent and I don't want to be a useless asshat. My Wisdom is only 14 rn, so once I get Stunning Strike, it's not going to be too reliable against much except caster types.

Flametongue would really up my damage output, which would really kick in at level 11 when I am able to make it a +1 to +3 weapon. This is my frontrunner. I can crit confirm with Deft Strike and add lots of dmg. Not exactly smite material, but pretty good for a Monk.

Bracers of Defense are just amazing all-around. I would have to use Agile Parry less, thus helping anytime damage a bit (better dmg dice, more chance of Deft Strike crits since they only work with Kensei weapons,) and when I did use Agile Parry my AC would be top-tier.

A +2 weapon is a really solid thing for any weapon combatant to have, but at 11 I can make my own when it counts, and Monks are already very potent at lower levels.

My gut says Flametongue since we have two tank types, and more damage is always useful. Bracers of Defense are awesome, but I can sacrifice a bit of damage for a +2 AC and also use decent ranged (safer) attacks with great mobility. My Dex will be 20 at level 4, so bound accuracy means I am not super-concerned about missing things all the time, and a +7 dmg (or +3.5 if resistant) per weapon hit is nice. It just makes Agile Parry a harder choice to make.

I am just unsure what role to play in this party since it's got most things other than dedicated healing and skill-monkey covered. I also know nothing about PotA, but I do know that more damage equals less threats sooner in most situations.

Hugs! Also, suggestions other than those I have mentioned are welcome! :)