PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Kineticists Attack bonus for Kinetic Blast

BloodOgre
2018-08-01, 10:27 AM
I am creating a pyro-kineticist (not the archtype, just a kineticist with fire as her elemental focus). I started with using the pregenerated character, Yoon, as a sot of guideline, but there are some things I don't understand.

My understanding is that Fire blast is an energy blast and therefore a ranged touch attack, which is calculated as, as I understand it, BAB + DEX mod + size bonus + D20.

At first level, Yoon has a BAB of zero, DEX of 16, and a size bonus of +1, so her hit bonus with her fire blast attack bonus would be +4. There are some places online that have hinted that because she is a kineticist, you should use her CON bonus instead of her DEX bonus for calculating her hit bonus. At 1st level, she has a CON of 17, and using her CON bonus, her to-hit bonus with flame blast is still +4. And +4 is what is recorded on her stat sheet for first level. So far, this is making sense to me.

Then at 4th level, Yoon's bonus to hit with Fire Blast is +8. She is wearing masterwork studded leather armor, so there is no penalty. She has a BAB of +3, DEX mod of +3, Size bonus of +1, which get's us to +7, but NOT +8. She doesn't have any feats that would appear to contribute to her hit bonus, so where did that additional +1 come from. Her CON has increased to 18, which is a +4 mod (instead of the +3 from DEX), so maybe there is some truth to adding the CON modifier instead of the DEX Modifier. BAB (+3) + CON (+4) + Size (+1) = +8.
Her light crossbow, on the other hand is also a ranged attack and would definitely use her DEX bonus, yet it is recorded as +4. BAB + DEX + size = +7. Where did the -3 penalty come from?

But then I look at 7th level. She still has +8 to hit with the fire blast. She also now has Blue flame blast (also an energy attack, also a ranged touch attack), but her hit bonus is +10. Why the difference? She is still wearing the masterwork studded leather armor. She is wearing a belt of physical might +2 so her DEX is now 18 (+4) and her CON is now 20 (+5). She has a BAB of +5, Dex mod +4, size bonus + 1. BAB (+5) + DEX (+4) + size (+1) = +10. It makes sense for her blue flame blast, but why is her Fire blast at +8? Further, her light crossbow is also now at +10 (which is what I would expect it to be).

What am I missing?

OgresAreCute
2018-08-01, 10:48 AM
Are PF pregens as awful as the 3.5 ones? Sample builds in 3.5 are notorious for having wrong calculations and not fulfilling prereqs for feats and classes.

Kurald Galain
2018-08-01, 11:03 AM
Are PF pregens as awful as the 3.5 ones?

No, just this one :smallamused:

Rynjin
2018-08-01, 01:40 PM
Are you accounting for Elemental Overflow?

You still use Dex to hit BTW. Con is for damage.

BloodOgre
2018-08-01, 02:15 PM
Are you accounting for Elemental Overflow?

You still use Dex to hit BTW. Con is for damage.

While it is true that she can get up to +2 from elemental overflow at 7th level, adding that should put BOTH her flame blast and blue flame blast at +12.

And yes, I can find nowhere that actually says to use CON for the hit bonus, and DEX makes the most sense, but there are still some discrepancies (and that is being polite) with the character.

I wonder if Yoon was built using the playtest rules and never updated. I've been looking for the playtest document but all links I find take me to either a file not found or the generic Welcome to Pathfinder piazo web page.

Does anyone have a copy, or know where I can find a copy of the Occult Adventures playtest document? It is no longer available from paizo. I also can't find an Occult Adventures errata, either, if anyone knows where to find that.

My son is also trying to build a kineticist and this is frustrating the crap out of him.

Manyasone
2018-08-01, 02:32 PM
Don't use pathfinder society approved pregens. They suck harder than a black hole. And if playing a kineticist really consider using third party material. Purple duck has some amazing books about kineticists that make them quite good.
http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/other-options
You can find it here