PDA

View Full Version : Some fun ideas for necromancy school ability

MustacheManny
2018-08-01, 11:36 AM
I was looking at some forums about playing a necromancer and how well it works and how other people played it when I came across these ideas from one poster. No one responded to these ideas and I wanted to hear what you guys think as I would like to use one for the game I'm in. These are not my ideas and I had no part in creating them, I take no credit.

Channeler: you drain small amounts of the natural life from the area around you. Non-sentient plants wither at your command and you feel sated as if you had eaten a meal. Likewise any creature killed within 15 ft of you satisfies your hunger for up to a week. Furthermore, any time you draw sustenance in one of these ways, you do not need to sleep for as long as you are sated by the drained energy (but you still require rest to regain abilities etc)

- Hand of Glory: You may spend 8 hours turning a severed hand from a sentient being into a magical candle, (you may only sustain 1 such item, and creating another destroys the first.) You may ignite this candle to gain one of the following effects, after which the candle is consumed:
- open 1 locked door that is not magically warded
- create a torch light light that only you, and those who touch you can see by for 4 hours
- create a candle light that hovers like a mage hand that can not be extiguished except by you, (for an hour)
- grants disadvantage to all targets of your next HOLD spell.

- Breath Collector: you may store the last breath of any warm blooded creature in a glass vial, match box, mouse skull, or similar small container. You must collect the breath with in a minute of it's death. You may keep as many breaths as you have necromancer levels, and the breath may be from anything as small as mouse up to and beyond a dragon.
When you have collected the breath a small, unnaturally colored flame is visible in the container, but it sheds no meaningful amount of light.
The Necromancer may destroy any number of these containers at once to gain information from the underworld and spirits.
Speaking a topic aloud and sundering a number of vessels with a wave of their hand, the necromancer hears 1 word for each vessel shattered.
These words may form a sentence if sufficient in number, but the words may not be in order.
The usefulness and veracity of any information revealed tends to be a reflection on the power of the creatures from which the breath was drawn, but mastery over life and death washes away any bias that may linger due to the breath-givers former feelings towards the Necromancer.
While a Necromancer held in captivity, (or just to lazy to look for better sources) may resort to constantly slaying vermin and collecting their breath in bowls and such, the power of such creatures is far to low for information to be very useful or varied from one attempt to another.

- Sleep of the Dead: You can choose what will and won't awaken you, and, once per day, you may choose to fall asleep as an action.
Furthermore, while asleep you do not breathe, age or require sustenance.
Lastly you are immune to nonmagical-slashing and nonmagical-crushing damage while asleep.

JellyPooga
2018-08-01, 11:40 AM
Some context is needed here; what are these abilities? Class features? Epic Boons? Feats? Do they replace something, or are they in addition to a characters normal features?

MustacheManny
2018-08-01, 11:49 AM
Yeah, sorry for not being more clear. These would replace Grim Harvest.

MustacheManny
2018-08-01, 12:58 PM
It seems like the necromancy wizard school gets the short end of the stick as far as school benifts go. Grim Harvest relies on #1 taking damage which a theoretically a wizard shouldn't do and #2 getting the last hit on an enemy which depending on team composition could be rather difficult.

JellyPooga
2018-08-01, 01:04 PM
It seems like the necromancy wizard school gets the short end of the stick as far as school benifts go. Grim Harvest relies on #1 taking damage which a theoretically a wizard shouldn't do and #2 getting the last hit on an enemy which depending on team composition could be rather difficult.

I think that may be a narrow point of view. Sure, if you want to play the typical "stand at the back" Wizard, sure, but what Necromancer lets you do is beef it up on the front line with your animated legions...so long as you can maintain concentration (which isn't typically that hard). Getting the killing blow isn't perhaps as hard as you might think, either; unless all your fights are against one or two foes, Grim Harvest is going to come into play quite a lot. Spells like Cloudkill are solid gold for a Necromancer because they trigger damage on your opponents turn and they affect a heap of foes, letting you leech life from across the battlefield if need be.