PDA

View Full Version : Does Soulknife/Bloodstorm Blade work?

weckar
2018-08-01, 11:53 AM
I was looking at these two classes, and they appear to synergize well. I am not sure if I completely understand how their abilities interact, though.

So, a Bloodstorm blade can treat thrown attacks as melee attacks. The soulknife can throw their weapon quite well (30ft range inc.) AND at lv 9 gets the ability to make a melee attack at every opponent within reach.

Combining these abilities, does this mean I could throw my blade at every opponent within 30 ft? 60 ft with Far Shot? At will?

daremetoidareyo
2018-08-01, 11:58 AM
We are going to need a definition of reach.

Mike Miller
2018-08-01, 12:19 PM
We are going to need a definition of reach.

Uh oh. Here comes the reach debate. I've seen how this bloodstorm blade thread turns out before, and it isn't pretty. I generally avoid Soulknife, which solves the problem entirely.

weckar
2018-08-01, 12:23 PM
I would avoid it, if this did nt seem so juicily filled with potential.

BowStreetRunner
2018-08-01, 12:35 PM
My interpretation of the Bladewind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/soulknife.htm#bladewind) ability that a Soulknife gets at 9th level is that it says reach and not range. So this would allow for melee attacks, not ranged attacks.

OgresAreCute
2018-08-01, 12:41 PM
My interpretation of the Bladewind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/soulknife.htm#bladewind) ability that a Soulknife gets at 9th level is that it says reach and not range. So this would allow for melee attacks, not ranged attacks.

Well, it says reach and melee attack(s), so the RAW seems pretty cut-and-dry. It's also a clear analogue (basically a copy-paste with more fluff) of the whirlwind attack feat.

The Bloodstorm Blade's Thunderous Throw ability lets you treat thrown ranged attacks as melee attacks, but the mindblade's ability still limits you to your normal reach, not your thrown range. At least that's how I read it.

weckar
2018-08-01, 01:32 PM
So youcould throw, but only to melee reach?

BowStreetRunner
2018-08-01, 02:29 PM
So youcould throw, but only to melee reach?I don't think Bladewind even allows you to also use Throw Mind Blade at the same time. Bladewind explicitly uses the mindblade to make melee attacks. None of the abilites of Soulknife or Bloodstone Blade appear to interact with this mechanic in a way that would alter it.

liquidformat
2018-08-01, 04:52 PM
I don't think Bladewind even allows you to also use Throw Mind Blade at the same time. Bladewind explicitly uses the mindblade to make melee attacks. None of the abilites of Soulknife or Bloodstone Blade appear to interact with this mechanic in a way that would alter it.

Every time there is something interesting for Soulknife it gets dashed against the rocks further proving how horrible of a class it is...

OgresAreCute
2018-08-01, 05:00 PM
Every time there is something interesting for Soulknife it gets dashed against the rocks further proving how horrible of a class it is...

Considering you would need 9 levels in soulknife + 2 levels in bloodstorm blade + whatever else to qualify for bloodstorm blade to use this...
This soulknife ability is literally just whirlwind attack. One of the unearthed arcana monk variants gets whirlwind attack as a bonus feat at level 6. That is monk soundly beating soulknife, ladies and gentlemen.

Edit: Actually it wasn't in unearthed arcana. Might have been a fever dream of monk actually being good for something, or it might be in a dragon mag or something.

Edit edit: Martial monk cheese can grab it I guess, and one of the UA fighting styles gives (nearly) all the prereqs as bonus feats.

liquidformat
2018-08-01, 08:22 PM
Considering you would need 9 levels in soulknife + 2 levels in bloodstorm blade + whatever else to qualify for bloodstorm blade to use this...
This soulknife ability is literally just whirlwind attack. One of the unearthed arcana monk variants gets whirlwind attack as a bonus feat at level 6. That is monk soundly beating soulknife, ladies and gentlemen.

Edit: Actually it wasn't in unearthed arcana. Might have been a fever dream of monk actually being good for something, or it might be in a dragon mag or something.

Edit edit: Martial monk cheese can grab it I guess, and one of the UA fighting styles gives (nearly) all the prereqs as bonus feats.

moral of the story soulknives can never have nice things! Any! Period! :eek:

OgresAreCute
2018-08-02, 06:31 AM

I hear soulbow isn't completely awful.

Fouredged Sword
2018-08-02, 10:00 AM
You just need the level 10 bloodstorm blade ability. It does expressly this.

Warblade 10 / bloodstorm blade 10 // soulknife 20 is perfectly fine in gestalt. A little silly, but you can do a lot of fun with a blood in the water build that can expend your psi-focus to auto confirm a crit.

Getting to attack everything in sight with a 15-20 crit range and getting +1 damage and +1 Attack each crit... Fun.

Andor13
2018-08-02, 10:18 AM

The PF Soulknife (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/) is actually pretty decent, with some of the archetypes in particular being well regarded. Of course that's 3rd party pathfinder, so....

liquidformat
2018-08-02, 10:55 AM
The PF Soulknife (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/) is actually pretty decent, with some of the archetypes in particular being well regarded. Of course that's 3rd party pathfinder, so....

ya that one is much better the issue with the original was it gave you abilities that everyone else got at level 1 at much higher levels with huge restrictions then tried to make you think it was overpowered... Awesome I can turn my soulblade into an axe with a feat once I hit level 6, or I could be any other class and wield an axe at level 1...

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-08-02, 11:10 PM

Replace it with the PF version (with or without the errata depending on power level). Bam, problem solved

Andor13
2018-08-02, 11:15 PM
ya that one is much better the issue with the original was it gave you abilities that everyone else got at level 1 at much higher levels with huge restrictions then tried to make you think it was overpowered... Awesome I can turn my soulblade into an axe with a feat once I hit level 6, or I could be any other class and wield an axe at level 1...

Or that it was a class that could literally do nothing but fight, but it had a medium BAB progression, which meant that it's built in magic weapon allowed his to-hit bonus to match an equivalent level fighter armed with a spork? Yeah. The 3e Soulblade needed help.

Fouredged Sword
2018-08-03, 04:58 AM
Or just play the Psi-war weapon summoning ACF and be a soul knife who is ALSO a psi-war and thus actually useful.

Buddy76
2018-08-03, 08:39 AM
The only interesting thing I've seen done with 3rd edition Soulknife involved Tashalatora. You'd dip Monk and probably another psionic class (in order to meet the feat's prerequisites) and select Soulknife as the class for Monastic Training. Then you'd take the Reshape Mind Blade feat (Dragon 341), select "unarmed strike" as the new shape of your Mind Blade.

I've never seen it in play but it's a novel ideia. It could also help you pull shenanigans like throwing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?129467-3-5-Soulknife-Unarmed-Strike) your unarmed strikes.