PDA

View Full Version : Creating Link(Legend of Zelda)

GoblinGuy
2018-08-01, 09:49 PM
Im going for the Ocarina/Majora's version, adult or young doesn't matter too much. Im thinking wood elf dex based fighter, but I'm open to new ideas.

PeteNutButter
2018-08-01, 10:38 PM
Link is a bit of a challenge to replicate. Both games have a greatsword as one of the better weapons (Big goron and great fairy sword) meaning he needs at least a passable strength score. Obviously he is good with a bow, so he needs a good dex. In both games cited, link is actually a bard as well spending a good portion of the game playing music for magical effect (ocarina or other musical instruments in MM).

Short of rolling well on stats you'd probably be best to settle for dex based and forgo the greatswords. Valor bard seems like it's best fit, but I feel drawn to ranger to have a more martial character with some magic. Fighter could do the trick as well. Or so could rogue...

To sum up, he doesn't neatly fit into D&D classes.

It's sort of like asking how to fit your skyrim character into D&D who can have skills in every tree...

Naanomi
2018-08-01, 10:46 PM
He is a half-Elf Hexblade Warlock (his patron is Fi/Hylia/The Master Sword). Blade pact or Chain Paxt (Navi) to taste

GoblinGuy
2018-08-01, 10:48 PM
He is a half-Elf Hexblade Warlock (his patron is Fi/Hylia/The Master Sword). Blade pact or Chain Paxt (Navi) to taste

You are a genius.

GoblinGuy
2018-08-01, 10:49 PM
Link is a bit of a challenge to replicate. Both games have a greatsword as one of the better weapons (Big goron and great fairy sword) meaning he needs at least a passable strength score. Obviously he is good with a bow, so he needs a good dex. In both games cited, link is actually a bard as well spending a good portion of the game playing music for magical effect (ocarina or other musical instruments in MM).

Short of rolling well on stats you'd probably be best to settle for dex based and forgo the greatswords. Valor bard seems like it's best fit, but I feel drawn to ranger to have a more martial character with some magic. Fighter could do the trick as well. Or so could rogue...

To sum up, he doesn't neatly fit into D&D classes.

It's sort of like asking how to fit your skyrim character into D&D who can have skills in every tree...

Thanks for the input!

CTurbo
2018-08-01, 11:02 PM
I think Ranger base class with a touch of Warlock, Rogue, and Fighter. Dueling and Archery fighting styles.

His stats don't have to be super great, just well rounded with a lot of Dex.

Thrudd
2018-08-01, 11:50 PM
I'd say he's an elf fighter with a bag of holding and a bunch of magic items.

Knaight
2018-08-02, 12:18 AM
The inherent conflicts between distinct models have already been mentioned, but Ocarina Link is one of the options that transfers a bit more cleanly than most (BotW Link is easier, TP Link is easier if you attribute the wolf-transformation to something other than character abilities, which as an external curse then modulated by an ally it pretty much is).

I'd go human for race. Yes, Link has pointy ears, which is where the Elf leanings tend to come in, but does he age like an elf? Clearly no. Does he have dark vision? Clearly no, as some temples amply demonstrate the hard way. So, human.

For class I'd actually go with Champion Fighter, with a tiny bit of Rogue multiclass. We want to pump Athletics to ridiculous heights, grab both the S&B and Archery combat styles and pretty much call it a day. A tool proficiency for a few musical instruments is also needed, along with attributes. Dex and Str should both be solid, Con should be at least decent, but an outright Int and Cha penalty isn't exactly unreasonable. Plus the whole question can be dodged by assuming rolled stats that went well, at least if you're not looking to actually play the character.

rmnimoc
2018-08-02, 12:38 AM
I'd argue that Link's probably best modeled as a variant human fighter with ritual caster and a dex focus. Then just refluff the ritual book as an ocarina, break into people's houses, break all their stuff, and hope the DM is willing to toss magic items around like candy.

You can even snag Find Familiar at level one and grab a raven if you want something to play Navi/tael. Your DM would probably love an excuse to pester your character to get back on track, spew out lore, and help you with puzzles you can't quite figure out.

DarkKnightJin
2018-08-02, 01:17 AM
I've been thinking avout Legend of Zelda inspired D&D characters for a bit myself. Knowing full well that I'd never be able to properly replicate all that they can do in the games.

For Link, I went with Human or Half-elven Champion Fighter with the Folk Hero background. Mostly a Dex focused build.
Devotion or Ancients Pally could work too.

For Princess Zelda, I went with a Half-elven Arcana Cleric, that swapped the 2 skills for Elven Weapon Training. And subbing out the Longsword for Rapier.
Obviously the Noble background for her.

As for the man himself, Ganondorf.. He's totally an Aasimar Conquest Paladin, with probably a mix of the Noble and Inheritor backgrounds.

So far, I've only made an actual sheet for the Zelda one. Haven't gotten around to putting Ganondorf or Link to PDF yet.
Mostly because Link is a pain to portray with any degree of accuracy from all games. The best you can do is go Dex based and ask your DM if they'll allow you to use Dex for that Longsword.

Angelalex242
2018-08-02, 01:46 AM
What about Link as (Ancients?) Paladin, Master Sword as holy avenger, and go from there?

rmnimoc
2018-08-02, 04:38 AM
I'm a little confused by some of this honestly. I might as well explain why I see him as clearly being a variant human fighter with ritual casting.

For me, Link is probably the easiest video game character not already in a D&D setting to model. If you're having trouble making it work with a longsword, just use a shortsword. It's not like the sword is as long in OoT or WW as it is in TP and BotW so it's not unbelievable. Heck, the 1:1 replica sold on Amazon is only one inch longer than 1E length of the shortsword. While they cut the shortsword length down a bit since then, it's still closer to the 5e shortsword length than the length of a real-life longsword.

To me, Link is a sword and board hero who, despite having pointy ears, isn't the least bit elvish. Really in Hyrule the Sheikah and Kokiri fill that role MUCH better (both live far longer, both are more magical, and both are more in tune with nature) than the Hylians, who are usually played as the average normal human. While he knows a bit of magic, it's almost always only a small handful of spells that he doesn't heavily rely on (Adventure of Link doesn't count). He isn't the powerful warlock, Ganon, who tosses around magic like it's confetti. He's not the bard Sheik, who gave him a magic instrument and taught him a few rituals. I'm not sure what else to call using a magic item (The Ocarina of Time is obviously magic and so is the one Saria gives you) and a formulaic series of steps (notes in this instance) to cast magic at no cost to you. Remember that in both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask Link has that nice mana bar. Everything magic drains it, with the exception of playing magical songs on the ocarina.

So, the question I was faced with is how would you build a sword and board fighter who uses a shortsword, is known for his archery and use of every other weapon under the sun, is one of the shortest lived and most plain race in his homeland, is usually around 5'8", and can cast magic he's seen written down (or was taught it from someone known for their magic) at no cost with no real preparation so long as he spends some time doing it?

Variant Human Fighter with Ritual Caster.

Unoriginal
2018-08-02, 06:38 AM
Link in OoT can be represented by a Variant Human Sword Bard or DEX fighter.

His feat of strength are due to the magic items increasing his STR.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-08-02, 06:49 AM
I’m inclined to agree with Hexblade half elf. Personally I think he’s Blade Pact. (because Navi is too annoying and I feel like if given the chance link would get rid of it)

I could see the argument of a fighter with some magic items, but I never like this way of viewing characters.

1. It’s not very replicable, and I feel like ultimately the goal would be to make the character at any table, provided all official player material is usable.

2. I don’t think it’s fair to use magic items to explain away everything, considering the game is meant to run fine without them

Rakoa
2018-08-02, 06:53 AM
As for the man himself, Ganondorf.. He's totally an Aasimar Conquest Paladin, with probably a mix of the Noble and Inheritor backgrounds.

I was actually taking a look at Ganondorf the other day, and I decided he was a Wizard based on his actions in Ocarina of Time.

He can:

Transform into a raging pig monster - polymorph
Break magical seals - dispel magic
Permanently freeze people in red ice - refluffed flesh to stone
Fly - Fly
Teleport - Teleport
Transport between dimensions - Plane Shift
Create Phantom Ganon - Simulacrum

All spells on the Wizard list. So I would just call him a high-level Bladesinger Wizard. Pick up proficiency with Pipe Organ from Background and you're good to go! Maybe start out with Fighter or something if you really want the armour, but I believe he just wore robes in his Wind Waker version anyway.

Unoriginal
2018-08-02, 07:29 AM
I was actually taking a look at Ganondorf the other day, and I decided he was a Wizard based on his actions in Ocarina of Time.

He can:

Transform into a raging pig monster - polymorph
Break magical seals - dispel magic
Permanently freeze people in red ice - refluffed flesh to stone
Fly - Fly
Teleport - Teleport
Transport between dimensions - Plane Shift
Create Phantom Ganon - Simulacrum

All spells on the Wizard list. So I would just call him a high-level Bladesinger Wizard. Pick up proficiency with Pipe Organ from Background and you're good to go! Maybe start out with Fighter or something if you really want the armour, but I believe he just wore robes in his Wind Waker version anyway.

Ganondorf's a NPC, you don't have to make him follow the PC rules.

If you wanted to make him a PC, Tome Hexblade Warlock would fit the best.

Transforming into a big pig guy is due to the artifact he has.

Willie the Duck
2018-08-02, 07:49 AM
I'd say he's an elf fighter with a bag of holding and a bunch of magic items.

I think that's it. Link is clearly a *3E* fighter. :smallbiggrin:

I could see the argument of a fighter with some magic items, but I never like this way of viewing characters.

Because...? He's a hero who spends most of his time hitting people with sword and arrows, playing music, and using tools that he finds on his adventures. I know I joked that he's a 3e fighter, but really it's a textbook B/X or BECMI fighter--leveling mostly increases your character's hit points, and most of their uniqueness or diversity (and power increase) comes from your accumulated inventory.

Unoriginal
2018-08-02, 08:16 AM
because Navi is too annoying and I feel like if given the chance link would get rid of it

Navi is only annoying because of the interface sound the game designers chose for her. She's Link's best friend and he's heartbroken when they're separated.

1. It’s not very replicable, and I feel like ultimately the goal would be to make the character at any table, provided all official player material is usable.

2. I don’t think it’s fair to use magic items to explain away everything, considering the game is meant to run fine without them

Sorry, but that's rather absurd in this case. Nearly all of OoT/MM Link's powers (as opposed to his skills) are from his equipment. The magic songs he learns and the handful of powers granted to him by the various good entities of the setting are the exception, and in 5e term those would most likely be Boons.

Because...? He's a hero who spends most of his time hitting people with sword and arrows, playing music, and using tools that he finds on his adventures. I know I joked that he's a 3e fighter, but really it's a textbook B/X or BECMI fighter--leveling mostly increases your character's hit points, and most of their uniqueness or diversity (and power increase) comes from your accumulated inventory.

For Link, the real treasure actually IS the people he met along the way.

Xihirli
2018-08-02, 08:32 AM
Depends on the Link.
I'd say Ocarina of Time Link is a DEX fighter who, before he finds a cool longsword, finds some Gauntlets of Ogre Strength and later finds some even better gauntlets. Nothing he does seems that complex so you might go EK for his magic meter or Champion.
Windwaker Link, same story. Starts out as a DEX fighter with a shortsword. Shortly after he finds a magic longsword he gets gauntlets that let him use it properly. Any of EK, Champion, or Battlemaster would fit.
Twilight Princess Link took his first two levels as a spell-less Ranger before going Battlemaster Fighter. He always had mostly strength.
Skyward Sword Link is a hexblade warlock with Skyward Strikes as a reflavored Eldritch Blast. Also he does Radiant Damage mostly so his DM was really nice.

If you want to replicate "power to repel evil" and the Master Sword's ability to destroy the darkness, I might dip Paladin for some smites but since Link usually relies on his items for all the magic he needs you can probably do without and hope for a way to deal consistent Radiant Damage down the line. One easy way to do that is to go Aasimar, since in Skyward Sword we know that Link is constantly reincarnated with the blessing of the goddess Hylia. In Twilight Princess you are explicitly chosen by the gods - if you're going warlock I might pick Celestial Pact of the Blade over Hexblade.

Ganondorf's a NPC, you don't have to make him follow the PC rules.

If you wanted to make him a PC, Tome Hexblade Warlock would fit the best.

Transforming into a big pig guy is due to the artifact he has.

The Triforce isn't a blade, and it's also not sapient. I'd put him as a Sorcerer or Wizard before Warlock. Zant is a Warlock. Ganon has powers before he ever finds the Triforce.

PeteNutButter
2018-08-02, 09:00 AM
Just curious, why does everyone say half elf? Is there some bit of lore on Hylians that I'm missing? They live for centuries and have pointy ears. Some have innate magic... How is that not just the world's version of elves? Is link himself a half-breed?

Naanomi
2018-08-02, 09:37 AM
Just curious, why does everyone say half elf? Is there some bit of lore on Hylians that I'm missing? They live for centuries and have pointy ears. Some have innate magic... How is that not just the world's version of elves? Is link himself a half-breed?
I would just model all Hylians as half elves. They are charismatic, sometimes have innate magic (Variant half-Elf from SCAG?), and Link seems to have lots of skill proficiencies; but... still sleep in beds, and are explicitly distinct from humans

NotPrior
2018-08-02, 10:32 AM

I don't believe they can live for centuries, unless I've missed something, and they can certainly sleep. They also don't have any form of ubiquitous spellcasting. The only requirement they meet to be D&D elves is that they have pointed ears.

Unoriginal
2018-08-02, 10:40 AM
Hylians are NOT elves or half-elves. They don't live for centuries, either.

Hylians are explicitly humans, and they have no innate magic (though they are blessed at birth by the goddess).

The longest-lived humans of the setting are the Sheika, and that just mean they can live older than 100 in relatively good shape for their age.

PeteNutButter
2018-08-02, 11:23 AM
Hylians are NOT elves or half-elves. They don't live for centuries, either.

Hylians are explicitly humans, and they have no innate magic (though they are blessed at birth by the goddess).

The longest-lived humans of the setting are the Sheika, and that just mean they can live older than 100 in relatively good shape for their age.

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Hylian

This thing says they live for centuries...

I'm super up on the lore here, just going off the wiki.

It also compares them to the humans which are distinctly a separate race. Just like porting any race from one fictional universe to another, there are going to be some things that don't match up (sleeping).

Unoriginal
2018-08-02, 11:42 AM
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Hylian

This thing says they live for centuries...

I'm super up on the lore here, just going off the wiki.

It also compares them to the humans which are distinctly a separate race.

Well that wiki is wrong, then.

Hylians are an human subrace, like Wood Elves are an Elf subrace.

Willie the Duck
2018-08-02, 11:53 AM
Okay, well Wikipedia proper has 'and elf-like race,' but that probably just means their ears (and of course is Wikipedia). I think we're at the point of who has a credible source to reference?

Naanomi
2018-08-02, 01:02 PM
Okay, well Wikipedia proper has 'and elf-like race,' but that probably just means their ears (and of course is Wikipedia). I think we're at the point of who has a credible source to reference?
The mythos isn’t constitant between games to make firm statements across the board

Willie the Duck
2018-08-02, 01:09 PM
The mythos isn’t constitant between games to make firm statements across the board

mwWhaaaaaaaat?! The Devil you say? Is that even allowed? Why is there no one policing these things?

PeteNutButter
2018-08-02, 01:23 PM
mwWhaaaaaaaat?! The Devil you say? Is that even allowed? Why is there no one policing these things?

Yeah and the “official timeline” looks more like a family tree than a line.

Naanomi
2018-08-02, 02:31 PM
Yeah and the “official timeline” looks more like a family tree than a line.
Well, the timeline looks like that when you have a time travel game... but beyond that all sorts of other elements are inconsistent. Are hylians the norm? Special bloodlines with psychic abilities? Are there humans at all? Are they distinct from hylians? How many kinds of Zora and bird men are there, and how are they related? All a big mess of inconsistent cannon.

Talidel
2018-08-02, 02:32 PM
Well that wiki is wrong, then.

Hylians are an human subrace, like Wood Elves are an Elf subrace.

The wiki isn't wrong, they live longer than average humans in the LoZ universe. "Can" live for centuries doesn't mean every one of them does. Average is between 100-150.

I would agree that they are a subrace of humans, I think the most appropriate DnD comparison is Aasimar. The Hylians have a few latent magical abilities, mostly based around their connection to the goddess. They can receive messages directly from the goddess, and have limited telepathy. However refluffed Half Elves definitely fit best.

As for the OP's question:

I'd make Link as a Champion or Battlemaster Fighter with average mental stats, and dump charisma. He's Athletic, Agile, of average intelligence, and notoriously shy, usually and unpopular with most of his tribe, and is a bit of a nod to his lack of dialogue beyond "auwah!". Due to fighters having ASI out of every orifice, it also makes them easy to blend extra bits in to get what you need.

For any version of Link, I'd make him dex based for defence, light armour most likely. He'll have decent strength for the greatsword he picks up, also his athletic ability.

For OoT I'd make him an Outlander, with proficiency in Ocarina. Starting proficiencies in Acrobatics / Animal Handling.

Fighting style probably Dueling.

For feats definitely take Magic Initiate for Navi as a familiar, sweet talk a DM into allowing a familiar that is just a ball of light with wings, which shouldn't be to difficult. To raise the difficulty maybe ask for an ability that makes it immune to AoE, and/or has advantage on checks to discover weaknesses of monsters. For cantrips, Swordburst fits the whirlwind attack. Maybe Blade Ward to represent cover with the shield.

I'd also aim for; Mage Slayer, as he's pretty good at interrupting and killing mages, Shield Master to further flavour getting cover from the shield. Finally if you've put enough points into STR/DEX/CON and went Champion, Martial Adept taking Riposte and Feinting Attack.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-02, 02:38 PM
Sorry, but that's rather absurd in this case. Nearly all of OoT/MM Link's powers (as opposed to his skills) are from his equipment. The magic songs he learns and the handful of powers granted to him by the various good entities of the setting are the exception, and in 5e term those would most likely be Boons.

The thing I like to remember is that some players what to emulate what a Character does with their PC. Without a DM letting them have the right items that would be hard to do with something that is "accurate" to Link.

The thing with this thinking though is that it's easy to represent pretty much any fantasy hero with a Hexblade.

Unoriginal
2018-08-02, 02:52 PM
The thing I like to remember is that some players what to emulate what a Character does with their PC. Without a DM letting them have the right items that would be hard to do with something that is "accurate" to Link.

Well that's the problem with any character whose notable abilities are tied to equipment.

The thing with this thinking though is that it's easy to represent pretty much any fantasy hero with a Hexblade.

Yeah, no.

Naanomi
2018-08-02, 02:54 PM
I have one hard point in having Link dump Charisma... how many ladies fall in love with him or basically drooling over him on sight?

Maelynn
2018-08-02, 03:03 PM
I have one hard point in having Link dump Charisma... how many ladies fall in love with him or basically drooling over him on sight?

He has no issue with breaking and entering, he smashes pots and vases, he barely observes niceties and goes straight to the point with his inquiries, he harms chickens... gee, you're absolutely right.

Unoriginal
2018-08-02, 03:07 PM
Link is pretty and nice, but he's hardly the best orator or liar.

krugaan
2018-08-02, 03:18 PM

Lol, his vocabulary *is* pretty limited.

Hey Link, what's your favorite letter?

"AAAAY"

You wanna get some drinks?

"AYYYYYYYYEEEEEE"

Do you think it's unfair that the Kokiri are kept in a subservient state while the Kingdom of Hyrule exploits their natural resources while giving nothing back in the form of benefit and guaranteed rights?

"TWAH"

GlenSmash!
2018-08-02, 03:20 PM
Well that's the problem with any character whose notable abilities are tied to equipment.

Very true and that's a remarkable lot of fictional heroes.

Yeah, no.

I might be wrong. I've been wrong before, but Hexblades' mix of Armor and Weapon ability, ability to bast with EB, and utility that comes with any caster can be used to fit a lot of concepts if you refluff. I don't use it as such, but I see it suggested in a large number of "How would you build..." threads.

I've seen EB refluffed as Cannons, Crossbows, and Guns for PCs that I would have stated up as fighters with you guessed it Cannons, Crossbows, and Guns.

It's like a cure all for non-straight forward builds.

Unoriginal
2018-08-02, 03:28 PM
but I see it suggested in a large number of "How would you build..." threads.

Because for some reason people love the SAD the Hexblade offer.

Naanomi
2018-08-02, 03:28 PM
Unlike a lot of the ‘extensive refluff’ Hexblade builds, Link can legitimately claim to get a lot of his magic and abilities from his bond with a powerful intelligent sword as well...

Unoriginal
2018-08-02, 03:36 PM
Unlike a lot of the ‘extensive refluff’ Hexblade builds, Link can legitimately claim to get a lot of his magic and abilities from his bond with a powerful intelligent sword as well...

Not OoT/MM Link.

OoT's Link only used the Master Sword for a brief time, and he did not get any power from it aside from the typical "it's a blade which banishes evil". Then he left the Master Sword behind and never approached it again, eventually getting a golden sword in Termina.

Skyward Sword Link got the close bond with the intelligent weapon, no contest. But not all Links have this bond even if they do end up encountering the Master Sword.

GlenSmash!
2018-08-02, 03:37 PM
Because for some reason people love the SAD the Hexblade offer.

Ain't that the truth. I'll play MAD all the time rather than apply the Hexblade band-aid to a concept.

Naanomi
2018-08-02, 04:04 PM
Not OoT/MM Link.

OoT's Link only used the Master Sword for a brief time, and he did not get any power from it aside from the typical "it's a blade which banishes evil". Then he left the Master Sword behind and never approached it again, eventually getting a golden sword in Termina.

Skyward Sword Link got the close bond with the intelligent weapon, no contest. But not all Links have this bond even if they do end up encountering the Master Sword.
Fair enough. LttP Link’s Magic (all three spells of it) was explicitly tied to him being be the weilder of the Master Sword as well; and BotW makes a rather big deal of his connection to it as well (albeit without much mechanical oomph)

Thrudd
2018-08-02, 04:33 PM
All the Zelda games are about an adventurer who starts out with a sword and shield, and then goes around finding magic items (and a couple mundane items) with specific qualities that help him defeat enemies and get to new areas. It is notable that in the different Zelda games, there are often different items he finds, and sometimes similar items that work differently from game to game, so the abilities he ultimately ends up with are not consistent.
If you wanted to replicate Link's abilities at one specific point in one specific game, that's what you need to say. In general, Link is a guy with a sword and a shield who collects magic items. If the intent is to have a low level D&D character who has the abilities of fully powered-up Link at the end of one of the games, that is probably unreasonable. Your low level character will be like early game Link: a guy with a sword and a shield and a lot of optimism.

Naanomi
2018-08-03, 10:08 AM
At least one Link knew magic spells (AoL)

PeteNutButter
2018-08-03, 10:18 AM
At least one Link knew magic spells (AoL)

True and both OoT and MM Link brought magic out through music, and TP Link wildshaped into a wolf.

Desteplo
2018-08-03, 10:19 AM
Ranger 15
Archery ( fighting style)
Horde breaker
Iron will
Whirlwind
Uncanny dodge (get that reinforced heart tanks)
Lightning arrow (light arrow)
Entangling strike (ice arrow)
Fire arrows (fire arrow)

Paladin 5?
Get that horse!

Longsword
Greatsword
Shortsword
Warhammer
Shield
Chain shirt (he clinks a lot while running)

Gauntlets of ogre/giant strength
Gem of fireball
Gem of teleportation circle
Gem of stone skin
Ocarina of teleportation
Tunic of fire resistance
Tunic of ice resistance
Bag of holding (for sure)

Alternately since so many magic items..
Lvl9 wizard gets you pretty much everything
Plus a ritual for a horse and still get whirlwind

Half-elf
14/14/10/14/14/10
While he doesn’t talk much, he has a very strong personality (very trusted and as they repeat handsome). Let’s call it a cha 10

He’s not innately strong. His gear gives him his strength. His whole thing is courage. He has the drive to weather any storm. They make it a point it’s the items that give him the strength

Ganondorf would be eldritch knight (fighter and can fly and shoot balls of magic)

Zonugal
2018-08-04, 07:04 PM
This is what I put together a while ago on a rainy day...

The Hero of Time

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/83/d4/6f/83d46fad5b65ab99084d734ae8d0b7fc.jpg

The Hero of Time
Half-Elf ‘Hunter’ Revised Ranger 5 with the Outlander background
Medium humanoid (elf, human), Lawful Good
Armor class 18 (scale mail and shield)
Hit points 49 (5d10+15)
Speed 30 ft.
---
Str 14, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 14
---
Saving Throws Strength +5 and Dexterity +5
Skills Animal Handling +3, Athletics +5, Musical Instrument (Ocarina) +3, Nature +2, Perception +3, Persuasion +5, Stealth +5, and Survival +3
Feats Magic Initiate (Wizard)
Senses passive Perception 13; darkvision 60 ft.
Languages Aquan, Common, Dwarven, Elven, and Sylvan
Challenge 5
---
Special Abilities
Racial Abilities: Darkvision (60 ft.), Fey Ancestry, and Skill Versatility
Background Abilities: Wanderer
Class Abilities: Favored Enemy (Undead; +2), Natural Explorer, Fighting Style (Dueling), Spellcasting (Ranger), Primeval Awareness, Ranger Conclave (the Hunter Conclave), Hunter’s Prey (Colossal Slayer), and Extra Attack
---
Actions
Dagger. Melee weapon attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 20 ft./60 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4+4) slashing damage; finesse, light
Longsword. Melee weapon attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d8+4) slashing damage; versatile (1d10)
Longbow. Ranged weapon attack: +5 to hit, range 80 ft./320 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8+2) piercing damage; ammunition (range 80/320), heavy, two-handed
---
Ranger Spells -- The Hero of Time’s spellcasting ability is Wisdom-based (spell save DC 11)
1st-level Spells Known (4/long rest) -- Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Goodberry, & Hunter’s Mark
2nd-level Spells Known (2/long rest) -- Healing Spirit
--
Wizard Spells -- The Hero of Time’s spellcasting ability is Intelligence-based (spell save DC 10)
Cantrips Spells Known (at will) -- Booming Blade & Green-Flame Blade
1st-level Spells Known (1/long rest) -- Find Familiar
--
Equipment: a belt pouch (3 gp), a dagger, an explorer’s pack, a hunting trap, a longbow with twenty arrows quivered, scalemail armor, a set of traveler’s clothes, and a shield.

Wisefool
2018-08-06, 06:47 AM

For that reason alone, if the OP wanted to go with Young Link (OP is open to that option), I would suggest Young Link is a ghostwise halfling.

strangebloke
2018-08-06, 10:56 AM
Okay, let's break this down.

I really hate the "he just has magic items" nonsense. Well, yes, that's how his character works, but how do you play someone that feels like the character? Anyway.

OoT Link

Combat Style:

doesn't hit all that often, usually waits for an opening. (Sneak Attack?)
whirlwind attack (sword burst, whirlwind attack, slashing flourish, or maybe some BM maneuvers?)
has a 'lock-on' feature where his familiar paints a target. (could be magic initiate, or hunter's mark)
Much more focused on martial skills than on magic, but has a few magic spells. Can make himself resilient, can short-range teleport, can blow stuff up. Also has magic items and songs, but those are a bit beyond the reach of dnd. (at most a 1/2 caster. No way to simulate most of the items like hoverboots or the eye of truth, and keep him a 1/2 caster)
Can fight with bow, greatsword, longsword, or shortsword.
light armor, sword and shield.

Thematically:

Associated with fairies. Associated with divine magic and nature magic to a lesser extent.
Has a really cool magic sword that 'banishes evil.' Yes, I realize the sword in OoT is a lot less of a big deal than in other games, but eh.
behaves like someone who has high int (good at puzzles) or high wis (good with animals) but not particularly like someone with high charisma (barely speaks, makes enemies easily.)
race is 'elf-like' but not elven.

With all this in mind, I would stat him as follows:

race: half-elf (could go human. Aasimar and the elven races have too much innate magic.)
Stats: str:14, dex:16->20, con:14->16, int:10, wis:12, cha:10.
Skills: Survival, Stealth, Insight, Investigation, Animal Handling.
class: ranger 13 (hunter)
Favored Enemy: abberations, undead
Favored Terrain: forest, underdark (dungeons)
Fighting Style: Dueling or Defense
Hunter Features: colossus slayer and whirlwind attack

Spells: hunter's mark (lock-on), detect magic, find traps (sheikah eye), healing spirit (fairies), Protection from Energy (Red Tunic), Water Breathing (Blue Tunic), barkskin (Nayru's Love),

I could see a different build that was mostly rogue with 3-4 levels of monster slayer thrown in for 'hunters sense.' You'd lose the WHIRLWIND ATTACK but you'd gain a lot more of his dungeon-crashing out of combat utility.

Unoriginal
2018-08-06, 11:58 AM
I really hate the "he just has magic items" nonsense. Well, yes, that's how his character works, but how do you play someone that feels like the character? Anyway.

It's not nonsense, it's who Link bloody is.

The best way to make a character that feels like Link is to go for the abilities he has on his own, and then be creative with whichever items you find on your journey, IMO.

doesn't hit all that often, usually waits for an opening. (Sneak Attack?)

That's just how the attack is fluffed, he waits for an opening (i.e: roll to beat the AC, and fluff it as waiting when it doesn't hit) then unleash several strikes.

light armor, sword and shield.

OoT/MM Link doesn't wear armor at all, but I suppose fluffing his tunic as leather isn't a big stretch.

[QUOTE=strangebloke;23279260]
race is 'elf-like' but not elven.

There's nothing elf-like about Hylians, aside that they have pointy ears.

class: ranger 13 (hunter)

Would work, with the Folk Hero background.

Favored Enemy: abberations, undead

I think his typical enemies would fit more Monstrosities than Aberrations (being weird, magicked animals more than truly alien things), but eh...

strangebloke
2018-08-06, 12:18 PM
It's not nonsense, it's who Link bloody is.

The best way to make a character that feels like Link is to go for the abilities he has on his own, and then be creative with whichever items you find on your journey, IMO.

Or you could play a class that gains power in a way similar to how Link gains power. AKA a warlock. Yes the fairy blessings could be fluffed as a boon. They also could be fluffed as Link the warlock leveling up and meeting with their patron, the archfey, who grants them new knowledge.

Link is a dungeon crawling fool, but he's not a purely generic dnd staple swordanboard fighter. For one thing, he demonstrates a lot of advanced skill use. For another, 'gaining power via boons' is something he always does. Not every dnd fighter gets boons. Most don't, I would even say. Warlocks do. A few levels of that class would emphasize that part of Link's character.

There's multiple ways to approach this, I've no idea why you're being so rigid about this.

Anyway, he only needs one level of fighter for the shield proficiency. Otherwise the Rogue is more Link-esque.

That's just how the attack is fluffed, he waits for an opening (i.e: roll to beat the AC, and fluff it as waiting when it doesn't hit) then unleash several strikes.

The thing is, though, in OoT you literally can't hit with an attack until the stalfos/octorok/whatever attacks you first. Sometimes you can pick off an enemy with a bow, but otherwise, Link is purely a reactive fighter.

It's not something that I put into the build, just an observation. You can fluff it away, but it's a cute nod to the game mechanics.

OoT/MM Link doesn't wear armor at all, but I suppose fluffing his tunic as leather isn't a big stretch.

Yeah, I mean, otherwise your marrying him to monk/barbarian levels, and I feel like that's a mistake.

There's nothing elf-like about Hylians, aside that they have pointy ears.

There's nothing elf-like about half-elves, except that they have pointy ears. Hylians have extended lifespans, humans are a distinct race in some versions of the setting, Hylians have innate magic, but not as much as their sister-species the sheikah... it fits pretty well.

Humans would work fine as well. It doesn't influence the playstyle. Mechanically race is a pretty minor choice, and aesthetically neither fits perfectly or has any serious conflicts with how Link plays.

Unoriginal
2018-08-06, 12:33 PM
Seriously, why are people saying that Hylians have extended lifespan? Can you guys point me to any Hylian in the games who lived longer than normal (without using some kind of artifact)?

strangebloke
2018-08-06, 01:03 PM
Seriously, why are people saying that Hylians have extended lifespan? Can you guys point me to any Hylian in the games who lived longer than normal (without using some kind of artifact)?

They're presented differently in different games, and it doesn't come up much.

Still, Niko from Wind Waker lived long enough to appear as an elderly character in Spirit Tracks, which takes place a hundred years later, putting him at 120 despite living the rough life of a pirate.

'Gramps' from a link between worlds is stated to be 80 and can still kick ass just fine.

...But that's all I can think of. And age would come up a lot in BotW specifically. I'll concede that Hylians have at most a 20-30 years advantage on regular folks.

Sheikah, of course, regularly hit 120 or more. While they're a separate race, I'd still consider them to be closely related.

In any case, the mechanical distinction between half-elves and humans is pretty small, really. I would pick a half-elf purely for the pointy ears. It isn't as though there's anything particularly 'human' about Link other than his lifepan.

Unoriginal
2018-08-06, 01:21 PM
Still, Niko from Wind Waker lived long enough to appear as an elderly character in Spirit Tracks, which takes place a hundred years later, putting him at 120 despite living the rough life of a pirate.

Niko's not an Hylian, though. He might be the reincarnation of one, but none of the pirates except Tetra are Hylians.

'Gramps' from a link between worlds is stated to be 80 and can still kick ass just fine.

Fair enough, but so could Orco from WW, and he wasn't Hylian.

"Old dudes kicking butts" is just awesome.

And age would come up a lot in BotW specifically.

BotW notes that except the Sheikah and the main characters, all the humans who 100 years ago are dead, though.

Sheikah, of course, regularly hit 120 or more. While they're a separate race, I'd still consider them to be closely related.

Same way that the Gerudo are a separate but closely related race. The Sheikah age is pretty specific to them.

In any case, the mechanical distinction between half-elves and humans is pretty small, really. I would pick a half-elf purely for the pointy ears. It isn't as though there's anything particularly 'human' about Link other than his lifepan.

Well, OoT Link grewing up from kid to late teenager/young adult in 7 years is a big of a plot point.

But fair enough, I conceed your point.

Knaight
2018-08-06, 02:10 PM
Well, OoT Link grewing up from kid to late teenager/young adult in 7 years is a big of a plot point.

Similarly that 80 year old weapon master in WW? He definitely comes across as old, and the inspiration there is clearly the established trope of the elderly but still badass martial arts master, who show up all the time presented as humans in stories that only have humans. There's absolutely no need to involve elves here.

On top of that the Zelda setting very deliberately avoids the standard fantasy races. There are no dwarves, and the closest analog is the dramatically different Goron. Probably the closest analog to elves would be the Zora, and there are huge differences there. Deku don't have a good analog at all. This deliberate aversion is a good reason not to use half elves, particularly when pointy ears are the sum total of similarities. The Hylians, Gerudo, Shiekah, and other similar "races" are essentially human tribes more than anything else.

strangebloke
2018-08-06, 02:35 PM
Similarly that 80 year old weapon master in WW? He definitely comes across as old, and the inspiration there is clearly the established trope of the elderly but still badass martial arts master, who show up all the time presented as humans in stories that only have humans. There's absolutely no need to involve elves here.

On top of that the Zelda setting very deliberately avoids the standard fantasy races. There are no dwarves, and the closest analog is the dramatically different Goron. Probably the closest analog to elves would be the Zora, and there are huge differences there. Deku don't have a good analog at all. This deliberate aversion is a good reason not to use half elves, particularly when pointy ears are the sum total of similarities. The Hylians, Gerudo, Shiekah, and other similar "races" are essentially human tribes more than anything else.

...Gerudo are mono-gendered and 7-8 feet tall? Sheikah are superhylian fast ninjas who are the chosen servants of a godess and have powerful innate magic and live for ~150 years or so?

Meanwhile, in dnd, the difference between aasimaar and humans is a 1/day ability and a couple cantrips. I feel confident that Sheikah and Gerudo would be their own race in any reasonable LoZ setting.

Hylians are similar to humans and in-universe can breed with them. But they are also shorter, have an affinity for magic, pointy ears, and they have the blood of a godess flowing through them. They're the 'diplomat' of the various species, since hylians always have diplomatic relations with all the other races. Not elves, but not quite humans either. I think half-elf works fine.

Naanomi
2018-08-06, 02:36 PM
No dwarves? What are those two smiths who temper the Master Sword in LttP supposed to be?

Draconi Redfir
2018-08-06, 02:38 PM
i would probably say Link is a DEX build, mostly fighter or paladin, but at least three-levels into unchained rogue for the dex-to-damage. Possibly also a few levels in monk.

the master sword is probably a mythral longsword with Bane (Evil outsider), and the shield is definitely adamantine.

i've been thinking about this too :P

Willie the Duck
2018-08-06, 02:42 PM
i would probably say Link is a DEX build, mostly fighter or paladin, but at least three-levels into unchained rogue for the dex-to-damage. Possibly also a few levels in monk.

the master sword is probably a mythral longsword with Bane (Evil outsider), and the shield is definitely adamantine.

i've been thinking about this too :P

Forget you were in the 5e forum?

strangebloke
2018-08-06, 02:43 PM
No dwarves? What are those two smiths who temper the Master Sword in LttP supposed to be?

Clearly just a small human with a beard that lives in a cave smelting swords.

Draconi Redfir
2018-08-06, 02:56 PM
Forget you were in the 5e forum?

looks like it yup, sorry:smalltongue:

too much pathfinder on the brain. my bad.

CharonsHelper
2018-08-06, 03:09 PM
I'd probably go half-elf purely because of the bonus skills so that Link can get a wider variety without dips into rogue/bard etc.

But yes - I agree with the general consensus that he's mostly just a DEX sword & board build. For the two-handed weapons he occasionally uses, just make it a magic weapon which lets him use DEX, or the gauntlets he grabs let him use it fine.

Naanomi
2018-08-06, 03:24 PM
Clearly just a small human with a beard that lives in a cave smelting swords.
Maybe the game has an answer for us...
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k167/Pauncho/14429D75-48C8-472F-9A8C-A48E6E2F4546.png (http://s88.photobucket.com/user/Pauncho/media/14429D75-48C8-472F-9A8C-A48E6E2F4546.png.html)

DarkKnightJin
2018-08-06, 04:32 PM
I'd probably go half-elf purely because of the bonus skills so that Link can get a wider variety without dips into rogue/bard etc.

But yes - I agree with the general consensus that he's mostly just a DEX sword & board build. For the two-handed weapons he occasionally uses, just make it a magic weapon which lets him use DEX, or the gauntlets he grabs let him use it fine.

Link's gauntlets that let him lift those big flippin' rocks and pillars would totally be at least Gauntlets of Ogre Power.
Possibly Bracers of [x] Giant Strength if your DM is very generous on the items.

And I could see the DM allowing the player to use Dex with their Longsword for the character to work mechanically as well. Even if they dip Rogue for some shenanigans, they won't get any Sneak Attack unless they're using their bow.
Which could make sense, since the Bow tends to do a bunch more damage than the sword.
Though that might just be me misremembering things.

I think the best thing to take away from this thread is that you could fluff your Human or Half-elf warrior to be like Link if you want to.
I don't think making a D&D character is about perfectly recreating something from a videogame or movie.
But getting as close as you like it to get, while still leaving room for the character to grow organically during play.

Knaight
2018-08-06, 09:08 PM
Maybe the game has an answer for us...
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k167/Pauncho/14429D75-48C8-472F-9A8C-A48E6E2F4546.png (http://s88.photobucket.com/user/Pauncho/media/14429D75-48C8-472F-9A8C-A48E6E2F4546.png.html)

Clearly I didn't remember LttP well (as a rule I always favored the 3D Zelda games) - still, to my knowledge that's the only exception, whereas the Goron and Zora show up repeatedly, particularly if you consider Wind Waker given the Zora-Rito connection.

Naanomi
2018-08-06, 10:15 PM
Clearly I didn't remember LttP well (as a rule I always favored the 3D Zelda games) - still, to my knowledge that's the only exception, whereas the Goron and Zora show up repeatedly, particularly if you consider Wind Waker given the Zora-Rito connection.
Gorons didn’t exist pre-3-D games; just hyrulians, humans, zora, and monster races (discounting the beast-men in the wind-fish’s dream) and a few ‘one-off’ examples like the dwarves there

georgie_leech
2018-08-07, 12:36 AM
Gorons didn’t exist pre-3-D games; just hyrulians, humans, zora, and monster races (discounting the beast-men in the wind-fish’s dream) and a few ‘one-off’ examples like the dwarves there

The zora were also weird. Somewhere between ALttP and Oot they shifted (in either direction depending on timeline shenanigans) between vaguely merrow-y firbreathing fish people and... regular, ish, fish people. That are apparently bio electric and occasionally have detachable aerodynamic flippers if MM is to be believed. A consequence of the games taking place over wildly separate timelines for the most part means that racial qualities get blurred. Hell, apparently they evolved into bird people for WW if we take the descendant thing literally. Your guess is as good as mine as to why fish people weren't suited for Suddenly Waterworld.

Knaight
2018-08-07, 12:56 AM
Your guess is as good as mine as to why fish people weren't suited for Suddenly Waterworld.

They do seem to be freshwater a lot of the time. That said developing saltwater adaptations seems somewhat more likely than straight up going from fish to bird.

georgie_leech
2018-08-07, 01:08 AM
They do seem to be freshwater a lot of the time. That said developing saltwater adaptations seems somewhat more likely than straight up going from fish to bird.

Especially since the MM Zoras do just fine in the ocean.

Naanomi
2018-08-07, 01:35 AM
In some continuities, river zoras and ocean zoras are explicitly different Subraces

Unoriginal
2018-08-07, 04:14 AM
Zora are not in WW because flooding a real isn't a good protection if you keep the fish people around.

strangebloke
2018-08-07, 09:10 AM
And then in BotW, we have both Rito and Zora. Somehow.

Knaight
2018-08-07, 06:03 PM

This is one of the many reasons I tend to just ignore the overall timeline and treat each game as its own separate thing (with the exception of some really direct sequels).

Naanomi
2018-08-07, 06:36 PM
This is one of the many reasons I tend to just ignore the overall timeline and treat each game as its own separate thing (with the exception of some really direct sequels).
Agreed. The game is the *Legend*of Zelda, I just assume any inconsistencies or absurdities are because the games represent a story-like retelling of events.

Sigreid
2018-08-07, 11:23 PM
Haven't personally played one of the games since SNES, but I've seen my niece do it. IMO he's just a champion fighter with a background that gives him tool proficiency in a musical instrument, who gains a lot of really sweet magic gear and boons as he goes along.

I've never noticed him to have any real stealth or personal power beyond being a pretty tough dude with some great gear.

Xihirli
2018-08-08, 12:31 AM

I would assume it's the same way we have fish along with all the other vertebrates. Some Zora evolved for a new environment, some didn't.