PDA

View Full Version : Blood Hunter class for 3.5e

Korvesh Baltor
2018-08-01, 09:56 PM
I’ve been trying to create a class based off of Matt Mercer’s Blood Hunter for 5e for one of my players. I had the idea of a melee heavy class based on the basic mechanics of the over all blood Hunter class. I was also contemplating making a Blood Hunter class focused on spell casting based on the Oath of the Profane soul. My only hang up is that I’m not sure if the Crimson Rite mechanic would overpower the class. I also am thinking on limiting access to Blood Maledicts by allowing them to choose one to add as they level up. There is a limit to the Primal rights and I don’t want to make this too jack of all trades.

iTreeby
2018-08-02, 06:07 PM
I'd recommend making a different class for each order. I'd tweek barbarian into the Lucan order, factotem or totemist for the order of the mutant and ninja for the order of the ghost slayer. I guess warlock for the warlocky one? The blood curses seems kindof like hex blade casting. I think if you want to make them all varients of the same class, he blade might be the way to go.

I think part of what makes the conversion tough is the lask of a short rest mechanic in 3.5.

The Viscount
2018-08-02, 06:35 PM
The Blood Rite damage is perfectly fine as-is. The cost in hitpoints is maybe worth tweaking to class level instead of character level (I don't know if 5e makes the distinction like 3.5 does) so that multiclass Blood Hunters aren't overly punished. You'd have to change the Esoteric Rites damages. I don't know much about 5e, but I figure that necrotic would convert reasonably to negative energy. I can't think of an easy analog for psychic damage.

You can reasonably replace short rest refresh powers by just making these powers per-encounter.