PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me with a minor roleplay facet in my campaign

Pinjata
2018-08-02, 02:53 AM
Hey guys,

I'd apprecate your help regarding a minor roleplay facet, that came up in my campaign. We have an old, decrepid castle, occupied by a ragtag mercenary group of humans, goblins, hobgoblins and bugbears. This group was attacked by adventurers, several mercenary group members were killed. Since adventurers got in troubles after a few sessions too, AND given that old mercenary group leader was killed, new leader made a deal with adventurers. Made sort of a ceasefire deal.

Then a bunch of small demons popped up into the region and adventurers fought them back - right to the castle - where, in the heat of battle, mercenaries took them in.

At this point I came up with this: Most of mercenaries still do not like adventurering group. And after about two hours of rest, most of mercenaries demand from their new boss to kick adventurers out of the castle(into potential maws of lesser demons). I'm thinking on how to roleplay the part when mercenary boss comes to adventurers and goes full "yeah, you guys are a relevant force, but I'll have a mutiny on my head if I don't kick you out, so I'd kindly ask you to vacate the premises."

Any input is welcome.

thanks

KnightOfV
2018-08-02, 06:46 AM
Sounds like a cool scenario. I see 3 ways that might go down depending on how honorable the leader is/ how much he fears the party.

1. With tact. The Merc leader approaches the party unarmed, and tells them bluntly how it is. He will answer questions, explain his situation. Maybe give the party a potion or something as a sign of good faith. Then he goes back to his crew without attacking. Next time he sees the party, he attacks with his group, full force.

2. With force. The Merc leader approaches the party with his group, but with weapons sheathed. Leader walks up to Players and looks them in the eye. He tells the party the truce isn't gonna work out, now get the heck out of here before we kill you. He won't answer any questions, and tells the party, this isn't up for debate. Leave. If the party hesitates too long or tries anything funny, they attack, but will not pursue if the players retreat.

3. With extreme force. The Merc leader approaches the party weapons out. Bows are pulled back and ready to fire. Swords are in hand. Leader stays 30 feet away and shouts at them. He tells them it's not gonna work out, but since we had a deal, we can give you a 6 second head start. Give them one round to run then pursue and attack until they leave or fight to the death.

Coventry
2018-08-02, 09:37 PM
4. With guile. He sends one of the mercs with a high bluff ability over to the PCs, with instructions to, "tell them that you don't like me, and can lead them to our hidden cache of magic items that we would use if we ever got forced out of the castle." And then he hands the guy a stick and adds, "break this once the are outside, and the gate has closed behind you. It will teleport you back inside." I'll let you decide whether breaking the stick really works, or not.

Pinjata
2018-08-03, 04:16 AM
Thanks, guys :) Very helpful input.