PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A this whirlpool sucks

Braininthejar2
2018-08-02, 04:32 AM
1 Does freedom of movement prevent you from being sucked in by whirlpool/whirlwind effects?

2 How does Myrmyxicus attack routine look like? He has 7 weapon attacks and 8 natural attacks, but the full attack description has "or" through the middle. Does it mean he can only do one or the other? Shouldn't he have primary weapon attacks, off-hand attacks, and all natural attacks as secondary? :smallannoyed:

Pleh
2018-08-02, 05:39 AM
1 Does freedom of movement prevent you from being sucked in by whirlpool/whirlwind effects?

I believe so, yes. Someone else may have more technical answers than me, but looking at the spell's wording, it seems to intend to grant freedom from just about all kinds of effects that hinder your movement.

Now, interestingly, I think there's an argument to be made for saying that it doesn't mean you stop moving with the terrain you are standing on/swimming in. If you're standing on a platform that swings and cast freedom of movement, it doesn't mean you automatically slip off as the platform loses its grip on you. Likewise, if you are swimming in a river carried along by the current, you wouldn't instantly stop drifting with the current, just as you don't instantly escape the grapple. What the spell seems to say is that the moment you resist the control of whatever is dominating your movement, it requires no effort to break free.

So yes, it frees you from whirlwinds and whirlpools that would otherwise inhibit movement.

2 How does Myrmyxicus attack routine look like? He has 7 weapon attacks and 8 natural attacks, but the full attack description has "or" through the middle. Does it mean he can only do one or the other? Shouldn't he have primary weapon attacks, off-hand attacks, and all natural attacks as secondary? :smallannoyed:

Well, technically you're right, but then again Myrmixicus was featured in the Dysfunctional rules thread for weilding 4 two handed weapons single handedly without taking special feats to do so. I'm not sure we can assume they were written to follow the normal attack rules. They may just have a unique attack setup.

Braininthejar2
2018-08-02, 10:20 AM
I guess these should technically count as kamas at his size, but they wanted to keep the high damage/crit.

And he has powers specifically for enchanting scythes as long as he wields them, so one might argue they are an extension of his body and don't require a feat.