PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Knight/Gloom Stalker with DBS

TheHutz
2018-08-02, 08:46 AM
Hello All,

I've been attempting to theory craft different ways to use the new double bladed scimitar, I love the idea of a two-handed finesse weapon. From advice on here I was directed to give it a go as a full Battle Master but found that a little boring. Initially I wanted to combine the Battle Master with Gloom Stalker, taking advantage of Hunter's Mark without infringing too much upon the bonus action economy as some of the other ranger subclasses would. This lead to lamenting the limited number of spell slots I would be left with if I went BM 6/GS 4/BM 10. So that lead to considering Eldritch Knight instead of Battle Master.

This character would likely start at level 6 or 7, not sure I'd want to play it from level 1. How I see this playing out is starting Shadar-Kai, point buy leading to this array: 8,17,16,10,14,8. 6 levels into Eldritch Knight, taking the DBS feat at level 4 getting dex to 18, and maxing dex to 20 at level 6. From there 4 levels in Gloom Stalker and possibly picking up either Alert, for even crazier initiative, or Mobile for, well, mobility. I'd be able to utilize Hunter's Mark a number of times per round with the 3-4 attacks with the DBS, only wasting the bonus action attack from DBS on the first application of Hunter's Mark per fight. I also wouldn't be limiting my spell slots nearly as much as I would with a Battle Master build.

I'm fine with the idea of a low int Eldritch Knight as spells like shield, absorb elements, and find familiar will be mainstays without the need for high int. One facet of the Eldritch Knight that I think will be completely useless in this build is War Magic. Taking the SCAG cantrips doesn't work with the DBS, and initially I was thinking maybe lightning lure would be a good War Magic cantrip for when I can't get fully into range, but it's still a save against my poor int based DC. Do I just go full utility cantrips/spells and ignore the war magic feature or do I have other options? After 10th level, where would you take this character, Eldritch Knight the rest of the way or are there better options?

Yavina
2018-12-16, 11:52 AM
I can't answer your question, but I can say that I feel your pain!

After my first character dying at level 5 in SKT, I'm having the same problem. I made a level 5 Eladrin EK with a DBS. My last character was a half-orc EK and I had a lot of fun with the EK aspect, so I wanted a new EK but also wanted something a little different race-wise to shake things up a bit, and the Eladrin seemed like a good fit.

Our DM prefers us to roll abilities (which I like) and I rolled a pretty robust build out the gate (17, 16, 16, 14, 14, 10). With feat/race modifiers I've got: 10STR 20DEX 16CON 16INT 14WIS 15CHA.

Revenant Blade made even more sense with this build since I rolled an odd number for base DEX (17 + 2 from race + 1 from RB feat = 20)

Given the Defence fighting style, with studded leather and such a high DEX, it gives me 18AC. With the DBS that's 19AC. If I go sword and board, it gives me 20AC. Sword and board is where my concerns start to come in. I want that +1AC from the shield, but at the same time, a rapier with D8 doesn't quite cut it, even with War Magic since, as you mentioned, DBS already uses the bonus action for an additional attack.

My feeling is that cantrips may still be useful, but DBS definitely makes them more situational (you know you can provoke the enemy into moving BB or you are surrounded GFB).

My last character was the team's tank and I want to continue that role. The issue with my last character was I focussed too much on big attacks and not enough on defence. With this new character, I want to control the battlefield a bit more. So I'm torn between a "sticky" tank with 20AC (from SaB) but needs the War Caster feat and deals less damage overall vs a "tricky" tank with 19AC but a bit more damage and could even make better use of the situational cantrips and get to team members who need support faster using the Mobile feat/Expeditious Retreat/Fey step. This would also work well for retreating when things get messy.

I can't decide on my 6th level feat, so my head is nowhere near ready for level 10+. But I don't think my DM allows multi-classing, so I'll probably have to get creative: I'm looking at you haste. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I wouldn't be better going with a tricky tank, rather than a sticky one. Just for the fun...

Been working on this for days. Head is about to explode! :D