PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Archetype: Blade Dancer

ciarannihill
2018-08-02, 10:33 AM
Fighter: Blade Dancer

Some fighters find themselves absorbed by the tempo and rhythm of battle, and their fighting style begins to resemble an elegant dance of flashing steel. Blade Dancer fighters shed their heavy armor and weaponry in favor of flexibility and ease of movement, evading and counterattacking rather than enduring blows.

Unarmored Defense* - Starting from 3rd level, when you select this archetype and are not wearing armor your AC equals 10 + Dexterity modifier + your Charisma modifier.

Additional Proficiencies - Additionally at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with Charisma (Performance) checks and Charisma saving throws.

Elegant Riposte - Starting at 7th level, your elegant movements allow you to find openings in the defenses of attackers. When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to break their stance granting melee attacks against that creature advantage until the start of their next turn.

Whirling Dervish - From 10th level, you can use your action to begin a spinning yourself and your weapon rapidly, performing a melee attack against any creatures of your choice within a 5ft radius. Creatures hit by this attack must succeed on a DC 13 Con saving throw or be lacerated, dealing additional damage equal to your Charisma modifier at the beginning of their turn. They can attempt to save again at the end of their turn.

Evasion* - At 15th level, when you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Dance to the Beat of War - Starting at 18th level, you’ve mastered the skill of integrating your skillful movements with your combat prowess, allowing you to add your Charisma modifier to damage from melee attacks you make.

*: I am unsure of these features: I quite like the Unarmored defense conceptually, but it conflicts slightly with Fighters' early proficiency with armor, it's weirdly late to get this feature, but I like the idea that your ability to move your body elegantly and agilely adds to your ability to evade enemy attacks and Charisma being the Performance stat makes sense to be the relevant stat to this ability...
I couldn't think of a better ability than Evasion here without going full ribbon or giving another combat ability, which seems excessive, I'm not trying to break Fighter, just give it another method of combat. Evasion makes thematic sense as well, but it just feels super late to give it. Mixed feelings here, too.

ciarannihill
2018-08-02, 10:35 AM
Change-Log:

8/2/18: Empty for now