PDA

View Full Version : Level 10 character build help

Spacehamster
2018-08-02, 02:06 PM
Premise: point buy, free feat at start, 2 rare magic items and 1 common.

Going to make a multi class zealot, champ and scout character.
Background: Urchin
Barb skills: Athletics, Intimidation
Race skill wood elf: Perception
Rogue 1 skill: Acrobatics
Expetise in: Stealth, Survival, Nature and Athletics
ASI 1&2: +2 STR and +2 STR
Fighting style: Great weapon fighting

Starting feat: Revenant blade(+1STR)
Starting ability scores with feat and racial modifiers: 16/16/12/8/14/10
Magic items: Flame tounge double scimitar, amulet of health and cloak of protection.

Level spread at 10: 5 Zealot, 1 Fighter and 4 scout

Ending level spread 5 Zealot, 4 Champion and 11 scout

So now I turn to ye wise and benevolent folks at the forum and ask what you think I should put my 3 coming feat/ASI´s into and which
order to take the levels remaing in(thinking 3 levels Champ for ASI, better crit chance and then finish off remaining in scout)?

JeffreyGator
2018-08-02, 04:04 PM
Isn't a main advantage of scout mobility for ranged combat, yet this will be a primarily melee character?

Con seems low for a barbarian type.

You could also consider taking tavern brawler and the UA Skill feat for athletics (allowing you to put the expertise in perception)

That would delay your 20 str until level 13 though.

DragonBaneDM
2018-08-02, 04:28 PM
Boosting Strength seems okay, and your Con could use some love, but has anyone in your party picked up Sentinel yet? Can be a good feat for someone who likes to Sneak Attack out of turn.

I think you're fine to go Champion for a while, though don't be shy to pick up Rogue 5 for your Uncanny Dodge if you notice that Rage isn't stopping enough attack damage or enemies are starting to use a lot of non-slash/pierce/bludgeoning attacks.

Isn't a main advantage of scout mobility for ranged combat, yet this will be a primarily melee character?

Con seems low for a barbarian type.

You could also consider taking tavern brawler and the UA Skill feat for athletics (allowing you to put the expertise in perception)

That would delay your 20 str until level 13 though.

Scout works pretty well for melee, but a big part of why I think OP might be taking it is the flavor. I'm rocking it on a Bearbarian right now and it's pretty rad. The extra skills really help to flesh out a primal/nature multiclass like Ranger or Barbarian, and the extra speed is pretty good too. The level 3 ability isn't used as much, but it still comes in handy if you need a way to burn your reaction before hitting Rogue 5 or picking up Sentinel.

Corran
2018-08-02, 05:38 PM
@OP: I don't see the value of the champion levels in the mix. Sure they give you useful stuff, but nothing you cannot live without. I mean, if I were to multiclass 3 levels into sth, I would aim for some specific synergies, and I fail to see any in your build as far as the 3 champion levels are concerned. Perhaps I might be missing something?

@others: I think CON is low cause of the CON boosting item (isn't amulet of health the one that boosts CON?).

GlenSmash!
2018-08-02, 05:41 PM
@others: I think CON is low cause of the CON boosting item (isn't amulet of health the one that boosts CON?).

Yup it sets Con at 19.

Spacehamster
2018-08-02, 11:01 PM
@OP: I don't see the value of the champion levels in the mix. Sure they give you useful stuff, but nothing you cannot live without. I mean, if I were to multiclass 3 levels into sth, I would aim for some specific synergies, and I fail to see any in your build as far as the 3 champion levels are concerned. Perhaps I might be missing something?

Champion has bigger crit range, barb doubles that range on command, quite massive benefit I would say :)

To those mentioning low CON; Con is not low it’s 19 from amulet of health magic item? ^^ scout is for flavor and for two extra expertise.

Crgaston
2018-08-03, 07:56 AM
Champion has bigger crit range, barb doubles that range on command, quite massive benefit I would say :)

To those mentioning low CON; Con is not low it’s 19 from amulet of health magic item? ^^ scout is for flavor and for two extra expertise.

I think the expanded crit range is lackluster compared to the extra d6 SA, Ambush Master, Extra Rage and Fanatical Focus you’d get from Zealot 6/ Fighter 1/ Scout 13. If you really wanted Action Surge I could see taking a 2nd level of Fighter, but that would be it.

Corran
2018-08-03, 08:36 AM
It is only as good as your crit damage. Until you gain several rogue levels for good amount of sneak attacks, I don't think it would amount to much. So perhaps you could delay the champion levels till you have more rogue? I am pretty sure that the increased dpr from having a couple more sneak attack dice means more damage than the randomly occurring crtis (if you could decide when to spike your damage it could be a different conversation, but since crtis occur randomly, they cn easily be translated to dpr).
Same goes with action surge, meaning that action surge becomes more powerful the more damaging your action is, so it would profit from more sneak attack dice. Though action surge is more versatile, as this extra action can be used for things other than attacking.
So yeah, if it was me, and I definitely wanted some champion in the mix, I would probably delay those levels significantly. Though scoring crits is enjoyable, I will admit.

Spacehamster
2018-08-03, 01:08 PM
It is only as good as your crit damage. Until you gain several rogue levels for good amount of sneak attacks, I don't think it would amount to much. So perhaps you could delay the champion levels till you have more rogue? I am pretty sure that the increased dpr from having a couple more sneak attack dice means more damage than the randomly occurring crtis (if you could decide when to spike your damage it could be a different conversation, but since crtis occur randomly, they cn easily be translated to dpr).
Same goes with action surge, meaning that action surge becomes more powerful the more damaging your action is, so it would profit from more sneak attack dice. Though action surge is more versatile, as this extra action can be used for things other than attacking.
So yeah, if it was me, and I definitely wanted some champion in the mix, I would probably delay those levels significantly. Though scoring crits is enjoyable, I will admit.

True I guess but crits are satisfying and a flame tounge double scimitar crit would still be 4d4 + 4d6 so not too shabby. :)