PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making a murderhobo for a one-shot

Ventruenox
2018-08-02, 03:42 PM
I think I did a bad thing here. I am certainly pushing the limits of good taste at our table, but for a one shot, I may just get away with it. I made a murderhobo character. Literally. A mentally ill homeless Hill Dwarf who has killed indiscriminately. [Edit: this is a parody character concept, not the murderhobo playstyle] I roll with a RP heavy group, so this thread is as much a request for roleplaying advice as it is mechanical optimization. All published materials and UA allowed.

Since optimizers want to go straight to the nuts and bolts, I'll list those first:

Level 12: Assassin 5/ Ancestral Barbarian 5/ Revised Ranger 2
Standard Array, modified thus:
Str 21 (13/Belt of Hill Giant Str)/ Dex 14 / Con 18 (15 +racial + feat)/ Int 8 / Wis 13 (12 + racial) / Cha 10
Skills: Athletics (expertise), Deception, Intimidation, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth (expertise), Survival

Role: Sticky Tank/Comedy Relief
Feats: Sentinel, Dwarven Fortitude (with Periapt of Wound Closure)
Fighting Style: Tunnel Fighter - Whip (+1) & Shield; Thrown weapons as ranged option
Spells: Goodberry, Speak with Animals (out of combat RP utility)
Favored Enemy/Terrain: Humanoids / Urban Terrain (DM fiat)

3 Magic Items allowed: 2 uncommon & 1 Rare - Currently have Whip +1, Periapt of Wound Closure, & Belt of Hill Giant Strength.

The idea here is to forego maximum damage in order to lock down opponents and make my character the primary target, while getting some sneak attacks off turn with reach. Since this is going to be a one shot, I can't expect to get many short rests to refill HP. So during combat, I can Dodge and get double healing with the Periapt of Wound Closure for each HD spent. Otherwise, Reckless Attack nearly every round with the action. Bonus action gets used for mobility to get into melee, then adopt a fighting stance via Tunnel Fighter for possibility of extra attacks with reaction. I was able to squeeze out an 18 AC with Unarmored Defense and shield. Grappling is viable with Athletics expertise, but I expect that would be used mostly out of combat.

So from a mechanical aspect, what am I missing or what changes should I make?

Roleplaying

Aghar Highshart, the Rat King

Personality Trait: Blow up at the slightest insult
Ideal: Chains are menat to be broken, as are those who forge them
Bond: My ill gotten gains goes to support my family (rats)
Flaw: If there is a plan, I'll forget it or ignore it.

Relevant campaign info: This one shot is acting as a side story in the longer campaign we have been running for the last 2.5 years. The BBEG has pulled a Kefka (Final Fantasy 6) and decimated the city this adventure will take part in. Our characters are survivors with ties to the organized crime syndicate that ran the criminal element prior to the fall. Now, they are seeking to reestablish their network as a means to formulate some sort of resistance movement.

Abridged character backstory: Aghar Highshart is known as the Rat King, mostly because he spends his days talking to rats. He will also bite off their heads and eat them if he perceives them as disagreeing with his mad ramblings. He may actually be able to communicate, but no one wants to ask him. His hygiene is appalling, and his appearance exemplifies that. He will use a soiled trash can lid as a shield - one that doubles as his serving plate. The crime syndicate only nominally claims him as one of theirs, and will sometimes toss an assassination contract to him if they need plausible deniability. In their view, a mad dog has its uses, and better to have him on the inside pissing out than on the outside pissing in.

From a roleplaying perspective, what sort of behaviors should I play up for this character?

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-02, 04:50 PM
--------------------
Roleplaying

-----------------

From a roleplaying perspective, what sort of behaviors should I play up for this character? You are building a murderhobo, and ask for roleplaying advice. Why? Those seem to be somewhat contradictory requirements.

Beyond that: you have four things in your Personality Trait, Ideal, Bond, and Flaw. It's a one shot. What more do you need? Are you wanting additional advice on how to be a toxic player at your table?

Slybluedemon
2018-08-02, 05:37 PM
I think I did a bad thing here. I am certainly pushing the limits of good taste at our table, but for a one shot, I may just get away with it. I made a murderhobo character. Literally. A mentally ill homeless Hill Dwarf who will kill indiscriminately. I roll with a RP heavy group, so this thread is as much a request for roleplaying advice as it is mechanical optimization. All published materials and UA allowed.

Since optimizers want to go straight to the nuts and bolts, I'll list those first:

Level 12: Assassin 5/ Ancestral Barbarian 5/ Revised Ranger 2
Standard Array, modified thus:
Str 21 (13/Belt of Hill Giant Str)/ Dex 14 / Con 18 (15 +racial + feat)/ Int 8 / Wis 13 (12 + racial) / Cha 10
Skills: Athletics (expertise), Deception, Intimidation, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth (expertise), Survival

Role: Sticky Tank/Comedy Relief
Feats: Sentinel, Dwarven Fortitude (with Periapt of Wound Closure)
Fighting Style: Tunnel Fighter - Whip (+1) & Shield; Thrown weapons as ranged option
Spells: Goodberry, Speak with Animals (out of combat RP utility)
Favored Enemy/Terrain: Humanoids / Urban Terrain (DM fiat)

3 Magic Items allowed: 2 uncommon & 1 Rare - Currently have Whip +1, Periapt of Wound Closure, & Belt of Hill Giant Strength.

The idea here is to forego maximum damage in order to lock down opponents and make my character the primary target, while getting some sneak attacks off turn with reach. Since this is going to be a one shot, I can't expect to get many short rests to refill HP. So during combat, I can Dodge and get double healing with the Periapt of Wound Closure for each HD spent. Otherwise, Reckless Attack nearly every round with the action. Bonus action gets used for mobility to get into melee, then adopt a fighting stance via Tunnel Fighter for possibility of extra attacks with reaction. I was able to squeeze out an 18 AC with Unarmored Defense and shield. Grappling is viable with Athletics expertise, but I expect that would be used mostly out of combat.

So from a mechanical aspect, what am I missing or what changes should I make?

Roleplaying

Relevant campaign info: This one shot is acting as a side story in the longer campaign we have been running for the last 2.5 years. The BBEG has pulled a Kefka (Final Fantasy 6) and decimated the city this adventure will take part in. Our characters are survivors with ties to the organized crime syndicate that ran the criminal element prior to the fall. Now, they are seeking to reestablish their network as a means to formulate some sort of resistance movement.

Abridged character backstory: Aghar Highshart is known as the Rat King, mostly because he spends his days talking to rats. He will also bite off their heads and eat them if he perceives them as disagreeing with his mad ramblings. He may actually be able to communicate, but no one wants to ask him. His hygiene is appalling, and his appearance exemplifies that. He will use a soiled trash can lid as a shield - one that doubles as his serving plate. The crime syndicate only nominally claims him as one of theirs, and will sometimes toss an assassination contract to him if they need plausible deniability. In their view, a mad dog has its uses, and better to have him on the inside pissing out than on the outside pissing in.

From a roleplaying perspective, what sort of behaviors should I play up for this character?

Just because its a one shot doesn't mean you can't ruin the game for everyone. Murderhoboing is not fun

Asmotherion
2018-08-02, 05:51 PM
Just because its a one shot doesn't mean you can't ruin the game for everyone. Murderhoboing is not fun

Murderhoboing *can* be fun, if you're ready to RP responsibility for your actions, and make most of the one shot revolve around it, in a Sandbox RP.

In a Serious Campain on the other hand, it's the DM's Job to make the Players get that they can't get away with it, and they'll get in more trouble than it's worth the "lol random" fun. Ruin the scene once, shame on you. Ruin it twice, shame on me.

Ventruenox
2018-08-02, 06:34 PM
You are building a murderhobo, and ask for roleplaying advice. Why? *snipped* Are you wanting additional advice on how to be a toxic player at your table?

Forgive me for lack of clarification. This is a parody character concept. I am not looking to adopt the murderhobo playstyle for this game, but rather I made a character who lives on the street and has killed people without a reason that sane people can discern. In the current campaign circumstances, this may actually be an asset. If I have to RP responsibility for those actions, great. That would be intriguing.

I am a cooperative player, it is not for me to ruin the fun of others by stabbing everything in sight. Any disruption I am likely to bring is either through metagaming slip-ups or too effective role-playing. Besides, I estimate a 20% possibility that one of the other players will use this one shot as a chance to turn on the party.

Do I have enough to flesh out this character? Certainly. The thing is, when I make a character for a one shot, I want them to be worthy of becoming a recurring NPC if they survive. I can conceive a lot of habits, but truth is often stranger than fiction.

The RP help I was asking for are personal anecdotes regarding our less fortunate and disturbed brethren. I am looking for stories that will have me saying, "Oh, that's rich. I have to steal that." That is why I feel I have done a bad thing with this character. Mental illness and homelessness are real problems in this world. I am poking fun at it.

Thank you Korvin, for editing down the original post in your reply to the pertinent portions you wished to address.

iTreeby
2018-08-02, 07:07 PM
There used to be this guy who would protest outside the courthouse with a sandwich sign that read "free Gary Lastname" on it. I've omitted the last name for reasons. my mom had talked to him a bout it and, turns out he IS Gary Lastname. He said that the government had experimented on him and made him a homosexual mindslaver. he was protesting the government so that they would stop broadcasting his thoughts. One day I saw him outside the court house and I asked him "hey aren't you Gary Lastname?" to which he replied "Have you ever felt Jesus in your pants?" I decided that was probably the best time for me to leave and I never saw him again.

I hope that helps you with your character, best of luck translating it into dnd.

Ventruenox
2018-08-03, 11:17 AM
I think I will steal the punchline. Given how one person who plays at my table actually did a TED Talk about religion, I think I can get a reaction for that bit. Thanks.