PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [5E] Monster Slayer Ranger Level 4 Creation

lordborg
2018-08-02, 07:37 PM
Starting off a campaign in CoS at level 4. I never played a ranger before usually melee characters. I really want to do range this time, but been reading so much really hard to see what would be most optimal. Nothing is set in stone yet other than ability score placements

Stat Array:

STR: 11

DEX: 17

CON: 13

INT: 10

WIS: 14

CHA: 10

Starting off with a Vuman with +1 DEX +1 WIS. Not added to the array.

Feat considerations: My level 1 feat is yet to be picked

Prodigy

Mobile

Skilled

Lucky

Sharpshooter - Range

Defensive Duelist - Melee

Crossbow Expert - Melee/Range

Question: Should I take the ABI at 4 into more DEX capping me at 20 or go for another feat? If I go, sharpshooter, should I use the feat every attack?

Weapon choices:

Longbow/rapier for tighter fights either sharpshooter or defensive duelist

Rapier/hand crossbow, if DM allows, with crossbow expert

I understand about the bonus actions with Slayer's Prey, Hunter's Mark, and Crossbow expert.

Please let me know of any questions or criticism!

Things I'm adamant on:

Stat Array

Vuman

Monster Slayer archetype

iTreeby
2018-08-02, 08:13 PM
I'd definitely get that asi Dex asap. It helps your armor and damage and a bunch of skills.

odigity
2018-08-03, 12:49 AM
Cosmetic feedback:

1) Nice use of the rich text and list features to organize your post.

2) It's a very minor nitpick, but there's no need to include "[5E]" in your post title, as this is the 5e forum. (Every post here is for 5e.)

Montesquieu P.
2018-08-03, 01:00 AM
Instead of +1 Wis, take +1 Con. That adds 4 HP (+2, instead of +1, per level) at 4th Level, and boosts Con saves to +2. Your proficiency will give you +2 to Dex saves.

Sharpshooter may not seem as desirable for CoS; but take it -- you are removing minuses for 'cover', which will let you fire into melee and assist your friends. Longbow is definitely a 'win' for the range. You might also look at the Healer feat, which will let you and the party benefit more from Healer's Kits, which at low level can be pretty vital.

But definitely, at Level 4 the ASI goes to Dex, not the second feat. You'll want the initiative and AC help.

Goodberry is generally more flexible than Cure Wounds (you can deal out the +1 serially or in a mouth-cramming lump). Hunter's Mark grows as you get to Level 5 and the 2nd attack. It pairs with either Horde Breaker (cut down the minions and so win the 'action economy' aspect), or Colossus Slayer (faster take-down of the Boss monster). Rangers don't get spell flexibility, so your choice of spells is quite defining. When you get to 5th Level, Pass Without Trace is probably better than Lesser Restoration -- as long as you have another player with that capability.

8wGremlin
2018-08-03, 02:43 AM
Questions:

What book do you have access to - what are you allowed to pick from
And are you wedded to Monster slayer?

I've played a very potent ranged ranger, here is what I saw that was effective.

Ranger
Pick Archery fighting style
Vhuman with your stats I would actually place the +1 on the CON and DEX this leaves you with

STR: 11(+0)
DEX: 18 (+4) so with proficiency an archery fighting style you'll be at +4+2+2 = +8 to hit
CON: 14 (+2) this gives you more hp, better chance to keep concentration spells as well
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 14 (+2) better perception, and WIS saves
CHA: 10 (+0)

For your human feat, take crossbow expert; and have it in your off hand (nothing in the other) - this ensures that there is no cheese at all when it comes to the bonus action attack. And you can attack at point blank range and suffer no drawbacks.

Now with your hand crossbow you're doing 1d6+4, then shoot once, then second round shot twice, the attacks are doing 2d6+4 for each shot.

my suggestion would be to go gloom stalker, instead of monster hunter;
Here's why:

you get an EXTRA Attack on the 1st round with and extra 1d8 damage!
you get +WIS MOD (+2 for you) to your INITIATIVE, helping you go first!
you get +10 movement for the first round
you get dark vision as a human out to 60'
you get ALWAYS on invisibility to darkvision
oh and you get disguise self, as a spell.

For your 4th level feat take sharpshooter.
Here's why

you now have 120' range (no disadvantage)
you ignore upto three-quarters cover
and you get the -5/+10 to hit with all shots that you sharpshoot with

All this combines to your nova round, which you can do nearly every single combat start!

bonus action: hunters mark
move into good location (40') move
take attack action: shoot +8 2d6+4 (or if Sharpshoot +3 2d6+14)
special shot: +8 2d6+1d8+4 (or if Sharpshoot +3 2d6+1d8+14)

Next rounds

attack action: shoot +8 2d6+4 (or if Sharpshoot +3 2d6+14)
bonus action shot: +8 2d6+1d8+4 (or if Sharpshoot +3 2d6+1d8+14)

As you can see this can be devastating.

So when do you know to sharp shoot?

If you can tell that your opponent has an AC of 15 or Less Sharpshoot
If you have a cleric who has blessed you, or have taken a potion of heroism (this mean on average sharpshoot AC 17 or less)

Oh and remember if you are attacking from being invisible, you get advantage!

Look at some decent medium armor and forget the shield, you can shoot just as well 120' as up close and personal as you pepper them in the belly. oh and take plenty of AMMO!

GlenSmash!
2018-08-03, 10:49 AM
Having a 13 Con and a 15 Wis won't be near as useful as having a 14 Con and 14 Wis.

As far as the rest Sharpshooter and maxing Dex is always an excellent strategy for a Ranged character.

8wGremlin
2018-08-03, 03:44 PM
Having a 13 Con and a 15 Wis won't be near as useful as having a 14 Con and 14 Wis.

As far as the rest Sharpshooter and maxing Dex is always an excellent strategy for a Ranged character.

I was saying exactly the same thing, 14 con and 14 wis always round to even numbers if you can!

ah I see now!

Starting off with a Vuman with +1 DEX +1 WIS. Not added to the array.
I'll update my post but yes even CON and DEX would be the way to go!