PDA

View Full Version : Fun Find.

8wGremlin
2018-08-02, 10:59 PM
The Wayfinders Guide to Eberron (WGtE) , has an optional rule:
In Eberron, an arcane focus is a weapon. As such, it can be interesting to give a focus some of the same trade-offs as mundane weapons: do you sacrifice your free hand for greater power?

If you use this optional rule, when a caster uses a two-handed arcane focus to cast an offensive cantrip (a cantrip requiring a saving throw or an attack roll), the range of the cantrip is increased by 50 percent.

By this rule, a staff always requires two hands, while rods can be used with either one or two hands. Using a two-handed arcane focus fulfills the somatic component requirement for a spell.

So how can we optimise this:
What foci need two hands?

Staff
Rods (versatile)
Bards can use a musical instrument as a spellcasting focus for your bard spells. some of those are 2 handed, but they have to be BARD spells
College of Sword bards can use a simple or martial melee weapon, you can use it as a spellcasting focus for your bard spells
RUBY OF THE WAR MAGE (XgTE, Wondrous item, common) turns a simple or martial weapon in to a spell focus for All your spells! <--- this is good!

With this we can extend the range of any cantrip we cast by 50%, by using a 2 handed weapon with the Ruby of the war mage.
So what Cantrips can we use with this?

Booming blade, green flame blade would now have a range of 7.5 feet (so more than one square, but not fully 2 squares)

But wait! the feat Spell Sniper this makes any spell with an attack roll range is double. So booming blade would have a range on 15'

Distant Spell (Sorcerer Metamagic) can make this even longer
When you cast a spell that has a range of 5 feet or greater, you can spend 1 sorcery point to double the range of the spell. When you cast a spell that has a range of touch, you can spend 1 sorcery point to make the range of the spell 30 feet.

Thorn Whip with with 45' or 90' with both, could be interesting
Eldritch blast from near orbit especially with Eldritch spear as well!

Tetrasodium
2018-08-02, 11:05 PM
a barbarian with an aberrant mark can do some nifty stuff if they use it like a quarterstaff since it would be a con based cantrip :P The +1 for matching damage types is nice icing, extended range can be nifty too

An EK could probably do neat things too & as a quarterstaff it would count for PAM too.

any of the 5' pbaoe's (thunderclap/word of radiance/etc) would get a nice bump too

leogobsin
2018-08-02, 11:11 PM
Booming Blade/Green Flame still require you to be able to hit your target with a melee attack, so Spell Sniper+2 handed focus doesn't help you any more than just Spell Sniper since (to my knowledge) there aren't any melee weapons with reach longer than 10'.

8wGremlin
2018-08-02, 11:21 PM
Booming Blade/Green Flame still require you to be able to hit your target with a melee attack, so Spell Sniper+2 handed focus doesn't help you any more than just Spell Sniper since (to my knowledge) there aren't any melee weapons with reach longer than 10'.

Bugbears can have extended reach, but yes noted.

Any other combinations?

Tetrasodium
2018-08-02, 11:37 PM

bugbear with a 10' reach weapon has a 15' reach :D

leogobsin
2018-08-03, 10:13 AM
bugbear with a 10' reach weapon has a 15' reach :D

Bugbears can have extended reach, but yes noted.

Any other combinations?

Right, I always forget that stacks with reach weapons.

8wGremlin
2018-08-03, 07:44 PM
Another fun find.

A house Cannith, Human pact of the blade warlock, can do interesting things with Spellsmith.

Create a spellsmithed weapon, and then do the ritual to bind it as your pact weapon. this gets you two handed weapons, bows etc without the need of the invocation.

iTreeby
2018-08-03, 09:20 PM

I was about to say whip but I'd be wrong, it only adds 5ft like every reach weapon.