PDA

View Full Version : Taint Negative Effects

Brennan1612
2018-08-02, 11:41 PM
So, I was wondering if there was a way to be immune to the negative effects, the most important being the insanity if you go over severe depravity, of taint, without being undead or having the evil subtype? Would simply being immune to mind-affecting effects stop the negatives, or I think I've seen a race or template that is immune to madness, would that help?

Thanks in advance!

ViperMagnum357
2018-08-02, 11:57 PM
NVM, misread OP

Venger
2018-08-02, 11:58 PM
the pure soul feat, as will the nezumi race

Kelb_Panthera
2018-08-03, 01:09 AM
the pure soul feat, as will the nezumi race

To be clear, these options prevent you from acquiring a taint score at all. If you're trying to pull benefits without drawbacks, there's basically nothing as far as I recall. Even the undead/ evil outsider "loophole" is only one interpretation of the relevant rules. An equally valid reading slams even that shut. Taint is -supposed- to be a bad thing.

Venger
2018-08-03, 03:54 PM
To be clear, these options prevent you from acquiring a taint score at all. If you're trying to pull benefits without drawbacks, there's basically nothing as far as I recall. Even the undead/ evil outsider "loophole" is only one interpretation of the relevant rules. An equally valid reading slams even that shut. Taint is -supposed- to be a bad thing.

While that's true, he specifically said he didn't want to be undead or [evil], which are the ways to enjoy taint without drawbacks so you can take tainted scholar or whatever.

ShurikVch
2018-08-03, 04:04 PM
How about the creatures with the Shadowlands subtype?

Asmotherion
2018-08-03, 04:17 PM
-Tainted Scholar can supress the signs of Taint for a Wile.

-Regular Disguise/Alter Self should also work for this Concept, as well as Magical Aura to supress your Alignment. 2 spell slots Worth to mask your pressance is a fair trade off.

-1 Level of Binder allows to Bind Naberius. He can Heal Ability Drain Faster (1/Per Hour), and cast Disguise Self At-Will. He is also considered one of the best Vestiges overall. Almos as if Vestiges were meant to help you Deal with Taint :P

PS: Nope, remembered it wrong. It's a penalty, not a Drain effect. The Naberius trick does not Work. That said, you can still play any concept you want, especially if you focus on (ranged) touch attacks. You'll be a bit wacky and frail 'till you enter the PrC, but since there's no penalty to DEX, you'll be fine.

Brennan1612
2018-08-03, 04:26 PM

Yes, Should have been more clear I do still want the benefits for a tainted scholar build, and the DM reads the "loophole" as undead/evil outsiders cannot gain more taint.

ShurikVch
2018-08-03, 04:34 PM
Yes, Should have been more clear I do still want the benefits for a tainted scholar build, and the DM reads the "loophole" as undead/evil outsiders cannot gain more taint.Note: creatures with the Shadowlands subtype are always have Taint equal to half of their Cha
Not Cha bonus - Cha score

Asmotherion
2018-08-03, 04:51 PM
Yes, Should have been more clear I do still want the benefits for a tainted scholar build, and the DM reads the "loophole" as undead/evil outsiders cannot gain more taint.

Does your DM allow Dragon Stuff? If so, and you're an Elf here's a little trick usefull for any Wizard:

Faerie Mysteries Initiate will allow you to Calculate your HP with Inteligence instead of Con.

Wisdom... You want to fail Will Saves. For when you don't want to fail them, here is what you can do:

-Have a Decent Charisma. Being a Wizard is no Excuse to have less than 18, preferably 20 minimum.
-Use the 4th Level Spell "Ruin Delver's Fortune". Gives you your Cha Mod as Luck Bonus on a Save of Choice as an Immediate Action.
-For a Further Buff (And more Cheese), get the Feat "Evil's Blessing". It's both great and thematic. First, as a Standard Action, you get a Profane Bonus on All SAVES for 5 rounds. Now, if you harm something with a Good Subtype, you Double the Bonus.
-Thinking outside the Box, if you do all steps right, together with Celarity, and Summon Monster you can have on any save a Net bonus of +15, Reguardless of your penalty on your actual Stats.

With the Bonus Spells you Get from a High Taint, you can, if not Spam this, at least Rely on this Strategy enough to not consider yourself Frail.

This is my Lich Build, slightly modified for your needs.

BWR
2018-08-04, 02:38 AM
The Taint is the spiritual corruption from Jigoku, which warps body, mind and soul. The Taint can choose to withhold certain symptoms of control, as was the case with the post-Celestial edition Taint where the Tainted were (apparently) entirely free of the mental effects (which was stupid and horrible and should never have happened but if you can convince your GM...).
You could go the Shadowed Tower route and gain the benefits of powerful maho but put all the actual Taint gain on some hapless victim (mechanics listed in Secrets of the Scorpion).