PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Lightning Lockdown?

Citadel97501
2018-08-03, 05:07 AM
Hello, I was just wondering if I was missing anything about the following series of feats and class abilities? While it is probably not optimized and is at level 14, it just seems kind of vicious.

Race: Irrelevant but High Elf sounds the most appropriate?
Class: Fighter: Eldritch Knight 8, Cleric: Tempest 6
Relevant Class Feature: Thunderbolt Strike
Feats: Sentinel, Tunnel Fighter, War Caster, Polearm Master
Relevant Cantrip: Lightning Lure

The way I am reading this targets within 5' of me that try to move away, gets blasted for 3d8 lightning damage, reduced to speed 0, & then knocked 10' away. When they try to move towards me the same thing happens, so if they don't have reach/ranged weapon they get slaughtered without any recourse?

OvisCaedo
2018-08-03, 05:51 AM
War Caster's spellcast reaction is made "rather than" an opportunity attack, so you wouldn't get sentinel's speed removing benefit on it. Technically, the fact that it is not actually an opportunity attack and is instead a reaction-costing spellcast prevents it from being used with Tunnel Fighter (which is itself a very sketchy bit of UA), as well. There's also a save on lightning lure so it's not guaranteed.

I've also seen people argue over whether polearm master's opportunity attack opening is supposed to explicitly imply that you have to make it WITH the polearm, but as far as I can see the feat doesn't explicitly call that out.

Citadel97501
2018-08-03, 06:02 AM
Thank you, I knew I had to be missing something there about the interactions. I know I still like the PAM bonus to War Caster though :).

OvisCaedo
2018-08-03, 06:04 AM
You could possibly have SOMETHING cheeky going with this kind of setup if you could somehow get a reach polearm or something that some dealt lightning damage, but... Looks like elemental weapon isn't a very accessible spell. Not sure if there are other options, or even any magic weapons that do it.

ATHATH
2018-08-03, 06:06 AM
Instead of using War Caster and Lightning Lure, see if you can get your hands on a magic weapon that deals a small amount of lightning damage on each hit or something.

Citadel97501
2018-08-03, 06:42 AM
Well the big thing with the Lightning Lure was it automatically hits, and will always do that lightning damage, although due to what Oviscaedo pointed out its a dead concept due to the wording of Sentinel. There is a single way I can see to reliably trigger the lightning damage.

http://www.eberron5e.com/creating-a-character/classes/artificer

If you multi-classed into this version of the Artificer, as it has a spell that can give you lightning or thunder damage to your weapons. Although that is a 1st level concentration spell with a duration of 1 minute.