PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The Future of my Warlock

SnorriA
2018-08-03, 06:48 AM
Hello there,
I just recently started playing Dungeon and Dragons. One of my characters is a lvl. 6 Great Old One Warlock.

His stats are:
Strength: 12 (+1)
Dexterity: 14 (+2)
Constitution: 18 (+4)
Intelligence: 17 (+3)
Wisdom: 16 (+3)
Charisma: 20 (+5)

Armor Class: 12
Attack roll: +8
Spell save DC: 16

I got really lucky when rolling the initial stat.

I have been planning for the next ability score improvement and have hard time deciding what is a good course of action:

A. Putting all into dexterity to boost AC a little and choosing Mage armor for the next invocation getting AC of 16.

B. Putting all into Intelligence to boost up attack roll and spell save DC.

C. Choosing the medium armor feat to get half plate or similar to boost the AC.

D. Choosing the Luck feat

E. Choosing the Magic Initiate and mage armor invocation, mostly so I can choose the shield spell. That would mean with mage armor my AC would go to 15 and when someone attacks I could use Shield to get my AC up to 20 for 1 round.

E. Take something else than C and multiclass into a class who gets medium armor as starting proficiencies later.

What are your thoughts? We are playing Curse of Strahd and in our last session killed "Wintersplinter". What would you guys, yourself do? Its 2 levels away but i want to prepare if we would level in middle session since i have hard time taking decisions like this, need more time :)

Quoxis
2018-08-03, 07:01 AM
Intelligence won’t help you with anything, warlocks cast with charisma, which you already maxed out. Drop that option.
A level of fighter or paladin could net you medium armor, but delays your warlock features and spell progression.
As much as i like multiclassing, but as a non-melee caster (which i assume you are) with stats like that i‘d go with a feat, so either moderately armored or magic initiate as you said - probably the former as it gives you more consistent AC - you can only use the shield spell once. Iirc you‘ll also get shield proficiency with this.

nickl_2000
2018-08-03, 07:25 AM
Is UA allowed? Because if it is a 1 level dip in Stone Sorcerer would be incredible with your stats.
13+ Con + Shield would net you an AC of 19 for a single level dip that gives you ritual spells and shield.

If not, then the next possibility would be a dip into Cleric. You would get shields and medium armor, again a 19 AC for minimal investment. Plus ritual spells and healing word.
-Arcana would be a decent choice since it gives you lots of utility cantrips.
-Knowledge would give you more language and expertise.
-Light gives you 3x a day impose disadvantage
-Forge gives you +1 extra AC (20 total)
-Grave Domain gives you Eyes of the grave (seems like it would be really useful in CoS, emergency distance healing and spare the dying.

Those would be my suggestions at level 7. Level 8 and 9 go to warlock. The ASI at level 9 can be used for lots of things

ReaperChaos
2018-08-03, 07:32 AM
I have not played CoS, so I cannot help you much with that in mind. However, regarding your options, if I was generally playing that in a campaign, my main priority as a Caster would be to max out my casting ability, which you have already done. Intelligence will not boost attack rolls or save DC's. And a +3 in it is already very good, since it is generally a dump stat unless it ties to certain class abilities. The Luck feat is always a good option to take, however seeing your Low AC I would go to boost Dexterity a bit and get the Mage Armor Invocation. The shield spell is always good, however it would be better in my opinion to have a more permanent boost. Another option to consider would be taking War Caster or Resilient for CON, to better help with Concentration.

If your DM allows Xanathar, there are some good racial feats there. But I don't know what race you are to recommend any.